So...seeing as 13" tires are on the way out...

WantAnX1/9

Stuck in gear, leaking fluids, fire in progress...
...and becoming next to impossible to get, what 14" wheels/tires can one get that require no fender/wheelwell modification?

I would like something for the X 1/9 that just bolts on and works.

I'm pretty sure 15" wheels/tires require structural mods, so I'd rather not consider those.

Any ideas?

185/55-14 is the ideal tire size

FF33C463-1F71-4B25-91B7-4CBAA2DF61A2.jpeg

...and becoming next to impossible to get, what 14" wheels/tires can one get that require no fender/wheelwell modification?

I would like something for the X 1/9 that just bolts on and works.

I'm pretty sure 15" wheels/tires require structural mods, so I'd rather not consider those.

Any ideas?

There are still plenty of 13" tyres available thanks to the popularity in Japan. Examples include:
  • Yokohama A539
  • Toyo Proxes R888
  • Nankang NS-2R
  • Falken Ziex ZE914
  • Toyo Proxes CF2
... but this is looking from Europe. Maybe availability is more limited in the US?

Cheers,
Dom

There is really only one 14” tire size and is only available from three possible makers in the US. I wouldn’t bank on them being available for long. 15” is the next stopping point with 185/45 15 being the correct size.

I would rock the A539s as a good go to (not as good as the old A509s NLA) in 185/60 13.

They’re pretty much the same dimensions of a 13” 185/60, so any rubbing would be a function of wheel offset. No rubbing with the CD-50s.

Agreed. "Daytonas" are the ideal wheel for the X 1/9.

I'm sorry, were you saying something about tire size? Ha ha!

So 185/55R14s just bolt up, no rubbing, lock-to-lock?

There are still plenty of 13" tyres available thanks to the popularity in Japan. Examples include:
  • Yokohama A539
  • Toyo Proxes R888
  • Nankang NS-2R
  • Falken Ziex ZE914
  • Toyo Proxes CF2
... but this is looking from Europe. Maybe availability is more limited in the US?

Cheers,
Dom

Yes, but 13' tires are very thin in the USA. Most choices are no-name Chinese junk.

At least with 14s, 15s, there is some variety, some choice.

I'd love to run 13 inch wheels, but thinking long term, the tires will only get harder to find as time wears on. I wish this were not so!

They’re pretty much the same dimensions of a 13” 185/60, so any rubbing would be a function of wheel offset. No rubbing with the CD-50s.

Excellent.

Yes, but 13' tires are very thin in the USA. Most choices are no-name Chinese junk.

At least with 14s, 15s, there is some variety, some choice.

I'd love to run 13 inch wheels, but thinking long term, the tires will only get harder to find as time wears on. I wish this were not so!

Excellent.

There really is almost no choice in 14”, I wouldn’t invest in 14” rims if you are looking to get new rims.

You will find there there are at most 3 bond fife companies offering a 185/55 14 Yokohama S-Drive (hard to find) Federal and Toto Proxes

The first two are good tires with a nod tot he Yokos if you can get them. The Toyos are fast wear near competition tires, very fun on an X while they last

The rest are all Chinese questionable brands

I just fitted sets of Continental ContiEcoContact 3 tyres in a 175/70r13 to my 124 and alfasud - very happy with how they feel. Went for an early morning drive in the 'sud last week on damp roads and they offered plenty of predictable grip in the conditions.

I guest my hoarding of cool 13" wheels are gonna be useless soon? Damn
View attachment 25317 View attachment 25318 View attachment 25319 View attachment 25320

Not useless, but 13 inch tires that fit our cars are getting harder, and harder to find...especially in the US, where I live.

This is a legitimate concern, one I am not imagining based upon my searches for tires that actually fit our cars. Even 14s are a challenge, but not as dire as 13s.

As I said earlier, I wish this were not the case, as I love small wheels and tires. It makes for a more enjoyable driving experience for me (kicking the back of the car out on twisties)...

I envy the classic Mini Cooper guys---they have NO PROBLEM getting their new 10 inch tires, even now, 60 years on!

This has been a constant discussion issue here. The Federal tires are still available and pretty cheap. Performance wise I have no issue with them.
I'm sure the proper size is available from the classic car tire companies but paying over $100 per tire for replica street tires is not to my liking.

Some folks are putting 205/60/13s on the rear of their Xs but that won't help if you can't find a matching 185/60/13 for the front.

This has been a constant discussion issue here. The Federal tires are still available and pretty cheap. Performance wise I have no issue with them.
I'm sure the proper size is available from the classic car tire companies but paying over $100 per tire for replica street tires is not to my liking.

Some folks are putting 205/60/13s on the rear of their Xs but that won't help if you can't find a matching 185/60/13 for the front.

Yes, availability is becoming a real problem.

I have a couple of motorcycles. One is a Ducati motorcycle, a '96.

Getting parts from all the major sources, OEM and aftermarket is starting to become a challenge.

I'm just grateful I can still get belts, air filters, oil filters, gaskets, and other consumables. I am also pleased that the tires are a common size...but looking for "that little fastener that goes on the front lower fairing"? Better to get a wrecked bike for your riding bike to eat off of...

How are the Federals in real, sustained, performance driving, Carl? Do they just roll down the road, or do they really work with the suspension providing feel, and grip worthy of this car?

I guest my hoarding of cool 13" wheels are gonna be useless soon? Damn
View attachment 25317 View attachment 25318 View attachment 25319 View attachment 25320

I have a similar collection....

I just got my CD 39s (the best wheels ever) restored while I was in Poland for the princely sum of 150 Zloty ($38) which included welding the magnesium lip of one of them.

So I'll be running Cromodora CD 39s with a fresh set of 13" Yokohama A539s ;)

There are still a few advantages of living in the old world...

Dom.

I have a similar collection....

I just got my CD 39s (the best wheels ever) restored while I was in Poland for the princely sum of 150 Zloty ($38) which included welding the magnesium lip of one of them.

So I'll be running Cromodora CD 39s with a fresh set of 13" Yokohama A539s ;)

There are still a few advantages of living in the old world...

Dom.

More than a few!

CD39s are so nice.

Your X 1/9 is exactly how I want mine. Lime green, small bumpers, tiny 13 inch tires...Such a sharp car.

Bravo.

I never did track days on them but they seemed just fine for spirited street driving. Others run them and they can chime in. Achilles is another popular brand for our size tires but I feel they are a tad too much Camry type tire for my tastes.

You come into Fiats at a good time, there are way more parts available now than there were 15 years ago.
Try getting interior bits for a 128 or 124 coupe and you will know real misery.

I never did track days on them but they seemed just fine for spirited street driving. Others run them and they can chime in. Achilles is another popular brand for our size tires but I feel they are a tad too much Camry type tire for my tastes.

You come into Fiats at a good time, there are way more parts available now than there were 15 years ago.
Try getting interior bits for a 128 or 124 coupe and you will know real misery.

I don't know why...but this made me laugh heartily. Just the way you aid it, I guess.

Federals aren't too bad then? That is good to know.

Back