Tie-downs when trailering

I am still considering purchasing a trailer. Any recommendations as to length, ramp lengths, tilting beds etc?
I find my 13' trailer a nice fit for the X and our Miata, I even hauled our Forester home on it when it blew the top tank off the radiator. I designed this trailer to have a rather low deck height at 12", we haul a lowered Miata on it and it drives on with just a touch of the front valance and the doors open over the fenders after it's on. The tilt is hydraulically operated power up and down so you can drive on, tilt the bed down then the hand brake will hold it fine while you tie it down, and I don't have to play contortionist to get my old broken down lump in and out of the car. Stock height X's are no problem at all. It will balance with the car forward or backward plus I built it with extra bolt holes in the frame rails so the axle's can move if the need arises. This one is on backwards because that's the end I could get to with the winch.
20160819_192211.jpg

this is the tilt setup.
IMG_20171108_143710155.jpg

and tilt angle.
IMG_20171108_143702303.jpg

and don't forget to put a winch on the front of the bed, especially if it tilts, you want the winch to tilt with the bed not be mounted to the tongue.
I put a 1 1/4" trailer hitch receiver on the front of the bed and the winch can pin on if I need it.
20170504_080435.jpg

This trailer rides on torsion axles with 4 wheel disk brakes operated by a surge tongue, the tires are 145/R12 load range E on 12" alloys good for 1520 Lbs ea, I used these to keep it close to the ground as they are only 21.3" tall and the fenders are mounted to the axle and are only 1" above the tire.

Just some things to ponder as you make your decision on what type of trailer you get

I find my 13' trailer a nice fit for the X and our Miata, I even hauled our Forester home on it when it blew the top tank off the radiator. I designed this trailer to have a rather low deck height at 12", we haul a lowered Miata on it and it drives on with just a touch of the front valance and the doors open over the fenders after it's on. The tilt is hydraulically operated power up and down so you can drive on, tilt the bed down then the hand brake will hold it fine while you tie it down, and I don't have to play contortionist to get my old broken down lump in and out of the car. Stock height X's are no problem at all. It will balance with the car forward or backward plus I built it with extra bolt holes in the frame rails so the axle's can move if the need arises. This one is on backwards because that's the end I could get to with the winch.
View attachment 8058

this is the tilt setup.
View attachment 8059

and tilt angle.
View attachment 8060

and don't forget to put a winch on the front of the bed, especially if it tilts, you want the winch to tilt with the bed not be mounted to the tongue.
I put a 1 1/4" trailer hitch receiver on the front of the bed and the winch can pin on if I need it.
View attachment 8061

This trailer rides on torsion axles with 4 wheel disk brakes operated by a surge tongue, the tires are 145/R12 load range E on 12" alloys good for 1520 Lbs ea, I used these to keep it close to the ground as they are only 21.3" tall and the fenders are mounted to the axle and are only 1" above the tire.

Just some things to ponder as you make your decision on what type of trailer you get
brim, thank you.

Back