I will be installing this on my '85, so it should be the same as your car. Reading through the posts, it sounds like wires at the column switch will be spliced and ran to the relay. Here is the Bertone wiring diagram:

View attachment 41187

So I made this diagram - it shows how the relevant wires are actually connected. I listed the steps to take (based on Rachel's directions). Jumpers are shown at the switch connector - it may not be practical to make all connections directly at the connector - given the heavy wire used. I illustrated it that way to avoid over complicating the diagram

LMK if it helps

IMG_20210112_132002.jpg

Thank you, Hussein for doing this. I will purchase the relay and see how far I get! My goal is to re-draw the factory diagram per the modifications:

1610484657895.png

So I made this diagram - it shows how the relevant wires are actually connected. I listed the steps to take (based on Rachel's directions). Jumpers are shown at the switch connector - it may not be practical to make all connections directly at the connector - given the heavy wire used. I illustrated it that way to avoid over complicating the diagram

LMK if it helps

View attachment 41194

Thank you, Hussein for doing this. I will purchase the relay and see how far I get! My goal is to re-draw the factory diagram per the modifications:

View attachment 41195
"My goal is to re-draw the factory diagram per the modifications"
That would be great. Thankfully @rachaeljf and @lookforjoe have done a lot of great work to sort this out. It certainly wasn't a direct 'plug-n-play' instal as I had hoped. With all that having been done, it will be wonderful to see a modified wire schematic showing the changes with the stock layout. Thanks to all that have worked so hard on this.

You can do a P&P for the motor relays no problem. The delay relay unfortunately is remote from the both the wiper switch and the motor, and requires additional wires so it's not so straightforward, as you may have noticed! I'm wondering if I can knock something up that would put all three relays in the scuttle area near the motor.

Ya, I was just referring to the delay relay. But that's a good point about the addition of regular relays to take the load off the system - in addition.
Perhaps we could make a schematic for doing both, the delay and the regular relays, incorporated into the stock wire harness.

Ya, I was just referring to the delay relay. But that's a good point about the addition of regular relays to take the load off the system - in addition.
Perhaps we could make a schematic for doing both, the delay and the regular relays, incorporated into the stock wire harness.

The negative to using the existing wiring is the number of connections and the wire gauge between the points. One of the real values of the typical add on unit is how short the wire distance is to the motor from the relays.

I don’t know that this is that big an issue but there is value in shorter lengths and fewer connections.

Again, nice work everyone - much appreciated. ;) This needs to get tagged for the "best of" section (if it isn't already).

Thanks again Hussein for doing this, adding on to the FB son of Xweb group question, does anyone have a source for the 6-pin Bosch relay socket or a part number? I've purchased a relay, but can not find a socket on pigtails or even just a socket that I can pin myself. If not, I am guessing an option would be to use a standard 5-pin socket (easy to find) and add a smaller spade female connector to the "I" contact on the relay.
So.. seeking the part circled. The mount shown on other photos looks like it was cut off another bracket / fuse panel?
VW-99-socket?.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks again Hussein for doing this, adding on to the FB son of Xweb group question, does anyone have a source for the 6-pin Bosch relay socket or a part number? I've purchased a relay, but can not find a socket on pigtails or even just a socket that I can pin myself. If not, I am guessing an option would be to use a standard 5-pin socket (easy to find) and add a smaller spade female connector to the "I" contact on the relay.
So.. seeking the part circled. The mount shown on other photos looks like it was cut off another bracket / fuse panel?

Yes, the relay socket bracket/holder was cut from another Volvo part.
Since I am running out of my stash of Volvo relay holders (as shown above) I also started looking for a suitable alternative.

I found these on Aliexpress, so I ordered a couple - link for vendor listing. They would work just fine as an alternative. "9 pin relay connector" is what you need. I do personally prefer the JPT terminals the Volvo relay sockets use, but I'm sure these will also work. They are not the cheap thin brass terminals sold by many vendors. I didn't bother looking on Amazon, etc., as the price cannot be beat domestically, if you can wait the month or so it typically takes to come from China.

Screen Shot 2021-01-16 at 5.49.51 PM.png

That "drop light" in your last photo brings back memories. It reminds me of the old school type of work light my dad had when I was a little kid, and I also had one for years (no idea what happened to that one). A incandescent bulb would get the metal reflector housing hot enough to burn you. :D These days using a new style LED bulb in something like that greatly reduces the heat from the light.

View attachment 41006
Still one of my most favorite tools in the shop Doc!

Yes. Only the delay doesn't work - I get one sweep - I can hear the relay click on/off on the sweep

OK - so I need to remove the grey wire connection (for 53m) that goes to the switch then. I'll try that today - so it will look like lower right drawing (in terms of 53s & 53m connections only)

View attachment 41023
I`m only liking this because you used 2 different colored pens to do the drawing that I completely ``do not understand`` Hussein.

Sorry to drag up an old thread but I have one of these relays in my car (one off build) and I also have the problem of no intermittant.

I have it wired up as per the diagram at the top of the page - low/high/self park all work fine but when 12v is supplied to the 'I' pin nothing happens.
When the 12v is disconnected from the 'I' terminal it performs one sweep & parks.

Any help much appreciated!!

Back