Vehicle security?

Dr.Jeff

True Classic
Considering the X1/9 is very easy to gain access into despite the doors being locked, and the ignition is fairly simple to "hotwire", I wonder if we should be discussing security? Frankly I don't recall any reports of X thefts off hand. Perhaps this is one time when the car's lack of general desirability and low value may be a benefit. And with them qualifying for inexpensive "collector car" (agreed value) insurance, maybe no theft deterrent is even needed?

But I have noticed some very affordable GPS tracking devices offered. They are very small and include remote features like the ability to immobilize the fuel or ignition system should the car be taken. The services are cell phone app based and some have no monthly charges. However I have not looked into the details so there may be more to that story.

Obviously there are lots of other security devices available at all price levels. I almost find it a bit odd that we haven't discussed the subject more. Should we?

I wouldn't even bother locking it....but then my car look sketchy to begin with. Seriously, I think just locking the doors should be fine and not having a sound system worth three times the value of the car would help.

A secret power switch to the fuel pump will keep folks driving off in the car.

Darin brings up a very good point, very few folks, in the US anyway, can drive stick.

I have short list somewhere from a news magazine from the 80s that lists the most popular cars to steal at that time. The X 1/9 was at the bottom of the list.
Larry, that actually surprises me a bit. Although it does not seem to be a highly sought after car today, I would have thought it might have been considered more desirable when it was new. Mostly due to the uniqueness of its style for that era. Not necessarily at the top of the list, but certainly not at the bottom. Interesting.

Although those lists of the most popular theft cars always surprise me. Typically they are very common, small, inexpensive sedans like Hondas and such. Apparently for the parts to be resold. And seldom do you see expensive high end cars on it.

I suppose the question of vehicle security depends a great deal on where you live. Until recently I spent my life in a area where auto thefts were not a concern. So I never gave it much thought. But since I've had to relocate to Vegas (for family reasons) I've learned to think differently. The second day I was here I went out to my vehicle to find the side window smashed in and the contents of my glove box scattered. After asking around I discovered auto theft (actually crime in general) is extremely high here. My current daily driver is not even mine, it's the car my family had when I came here. And it is a car I don't worry about. I have to admit it is nice to be able to park in the nearest space and not care if it gets dinged/scratched, or to drive in congested traffic and not be concerned with a possible fender bender, or to be on the highway and not think about rock chips. But on the occasions I drive one of my custom vehicles I am a bit concerned about security. And as the ones I'm currently building get completed they will be even more visible than the others.

First it is a FIAT. You know what the general public thinks of old FIAT's. Place a "For Sale" sign with a "needs to be towed" message written on the sign. No one but someone on here will touch it. If you really want to make it theft proof replace half the FIAT badges with Renault, that should do it.

Disclaimer, the views stated in this post do not reflect the views of anyone who likes old FIATs and/or Renaults. No scientific polls were done to determine the view of the general public, I just made it all up.

Love the way you think Dave!

I suspect part of the problem here is this city has the worst / lowest ranked education system in the country. So people who grow up here tend to be...well I suppose I shouldn't use the words that came to mind. And it shows when dealing with anyone publically, you can tell which ones were born here vs those who moved here during the huge population boom of several years ago. That mentality (or lack thereof) helps to explain the extremely high rates of drug abuse, crime, financial crisis, violence, car theft, and so much more that exists here. So the car thieves do not know or care what a car is, other than it looks like it might be worth something. Unfortunately they aren't able to figure out the difference between the ones that are worth stealing and the ones with no actual value to them.

I'll use Dave's disclaimer, and add "anyone native to this city" to the list.

I have short list somewhere from a news magazine from the 80s that lists the most popular cars to steal at that time. The X 1/9 was at the bottom of the list.
But it was on the list at least. This already shows that x19 isn’t a cult car and won’t be :D

I havent seen anyone that comes to my x19 and opens a door without asking is it closed or how do you open it. They want tu pull that handle not to push a button.

Think we live in the wrong age,no electronic key fob, to open the doors ,with the roof off.Parking the car in Walmart taking up two parking spaces with a walk to the entrance. Yeah may just be a little further away.The hardest part is not trying to have another look at the X1/9 with a smile on your face.

Always park your X such that as you come out of the store you have a clear view as you approach it and can appreciate the fine work you have done to it. Remember when we used to go to stores!

I added a keyless entry system along with central locking :)D) years ago - just updated the keyless entry with a modern version that doesn't use the old fashioned cylindrical (can't remember the word for them) batteries for the key fob. It has several security features, I didn't bother connecting any of them. The only reason for this is actually to avoid snapping the old keys off in the door handle :D

The only reason for this is actually to avoid snapping the old keys off in the door handle
I also prefer having a keyless locking setup. Mostly for the same reason, to avoid damage to the lock assembly. If you look at the locks on any old car like these, often you'll find quite a bit of wear and tear on them. And the keys suffer even more abuse. So remote actuators helps avoid the chance of a failure.

Plus I admit they are convenient; I've become in the habit of locking/unlocking my vehicles as I walk away/approach them. And they are very easy to install. I buy the components separately; small solenoids that fit the particular application best, and a simple remote/receiver unit that just triggers those solenoids (I have no real use for another 30 remote functions). So in this case it really isn't a security function, unless you get one with an alarm feature (which most of the "kits" have).

I suppose the same logic could be applied to preserving the ignition lock, adding a "push-button start" feature. But I've never done that. Though the thought has crossed my mind. Again, I think I'd build my own system and keep it simple and discreet.

I don’t leave anything expensive In the car within eyesight. And just as an added measure, I take the coil to distributor wire with me.

I guess they can push it or tow if they really wanted to steal it.

I was once told by a locksmith that using graphite based lubricants can greatly reduce wear on lock cylinders and keys. I bought a can of the stuff over 40 years ago and it is still half full after using it on numerous car and house locks. Seems to make a significant difference in the effort required to insert a key and turn it.

I was once told by a locksmith that using graphite based lubricants can greatly reduce wear on lock cylinders and keys. I bought a can of the stuff over 40 years ago and it is still half full after using it on numerous car and house locks. Seems to make a significant difference in the effort required to insert a key and turn it.

Sounds like the stuff sold here on the East Coast as Lock De-Icer :D

Back