Want to install 1500 engine and 5 speed in my 1974

bruinbro

True Classic
I have it on good authority that XWeb contains a plethora of threads that detail the installation of a 5 speed transmission into a 1974 X. I’m obviously mentally deficient as I cannot locate any of said threads. Would anyone here please tell me what the secret search phrase is?

Thanks,
Webpage Handicapped

@bruinbro It's easiest if you can switch out the entire drivetrain (A-arms, driveshafts, starter, transmission, motor) all together. I've done it that way twice and it's a weekend project once you've gathered everything from your donor car(s).

Going into a '74 you will have to consider:
1) If at all possible you want to keep the 4/2 exhaust manifold, downpipes, muffler from your '74 - it's the best of the stock exhaust systems and will work with the '74 left-pipe bodywork. However, the 1500 is a centimeter or so taller than the 1300 so you will need a spacer plate between manifold and top of the downpipe. I had a machine shop cut one for me out of stainless, but a perfectly serviceable one can be made with a drill press, an angle grinder, and a flat piece of scrap steel. Other people here will have other suggestions for the exhaust, and there are a ton more options if you're willing to give up on the '74 left-pipe exhaust.
2) The '74 engine cover is lower than in later years so with the taller motor you may find it easier to install an aftermarket foam box air filter rather than using the stock air cleaner housing.
3) I kept the '74 points distributor and mechanical fuel pump on one swap, carried the electronic ignition over on the other. Both worked.
4) I swapped in the five-speed gearshift lever/shifter. The four-speed one won't let you move the lever up and right to select fifth.

As noted in the linked thread above (if you can decipher the text), I put a 5 speed in my '74 X. In my case I retained the 1300 engine.

To make the sway you need the following 5 speed parts:

flywheel backing plate (dust shield)
5 speed flywheel
5 speed starter
5 speed shifter
5 speed shift linkage rod (from the shifter to the exit of the tunnel)
5 speed CV axles
5 speed uprights (hub carriers/knuckles)

Notes:

The 5 speed struts had a different lower mount that provides for more CV clearance but I have not had any issue using the 4 speed struts with 5 speed CV axles on mulitple cars.

The 5 speed, driver's side, lower control arm, has a bend for additional clearance of the 5th gear extension housing on the transmission case. You can easily trim a few mm's off the control arm for additional clearance if you don't want to replace the control arm.

The slave cyclinders are the same but the hoses are different. I have seen people use either hose.

You will need the 5 speed slave cylinder bracket.

Finally, the 5 speed chassis had a dimple in the inner arch of the main chassis rail to clear the 5th gear extension housing. The 5 speed fits the 4 speed chassis but its very tight. A couple of pops with a 2 lbs sledge worked for me. It didn't take much.

As a follow on, if you are going to put a 1500 in a '74 chassis (or any 1300/4 speed), in addition to the above:

I used the '77/'78 engine deck lid and as these are taller than the '74.

The '74 lacks the distributor access panel in the spare tire well but its not needed. The Bosch distributor works in the '74 chassis just fine. I cut an access hole in my '74 and used a panel from a later model car.

The '74 exhaust manifold will fit but the downpipe and muffer need the '74's hole in the exhaust bay for the mounting bracket to bolt to the transmission. I used standard header and hung the muffler mounts I made similar to the later model cars.

Full disclosure, the engine/trans is from Berenice’s Lemons car and it’s going into the 74 X that I bought from her that has a Borla exhaust. I have to think about whether I want to use the four motorcycle carbs that came with the Lemons engine or use a Weber setup. Since the runners used with the motorcycle carbs are too long to use without cutting into the trunk they will have to be replaced with shorter ones.

As noted in the linked thread above (if you can decipher the text), I put a 5 speed in my '74 X. In my case I retained the 1300 engine.

To make the sway you need the following 5 speed parts:

flywheel backing plate (dust shield)
5 speed flywheel
5 speed starter
5 speed shifter
5 speed shift linkage rod (from the shifter to the exit of the tunnel)
5 speed CV axles
5 speed uprights (hub carriers/knuckles)

Notes:

The 5 speed struts had a different lower mount that provides for more CV clearance but I have not had any issue using the 4 speed struts with 5 speed CV axles on mulitple cars.

The 5 speed, driver's side, lower control arm, has a bend for additional clearance of the 5th gear extension housing on the transmission case. You can easily trim a few mm's off the control arm for additional clearance if you don't want to replace the control arm.

The slave cyclinders are the same but the hoses are different. I have seen people use either hose.

You will need the 5 speed slave cylinder bracket.

Finally, the 5 speed chassis had a dimple in the inner arch of the main chassis rail to clear the 5th gear extension housing. The 5 speed fits the 4 speed chassis but its very tight. A couple of pops with a 2 lbs sledge worked for me. It didn't take much.

When I put a 1500/5-spd in my '74, I used an '85 engine lid, and never bothered to cut the hole for the distributor access. Never felt I needed it. I did, however, cut the access hole in the trunk. That's a must-have. You don't have to change the shift rod, though, all you have to do is torque it a little so it allows selection of the 5th gear.

1697766926070.png

I put a 1500 in my 74 using the existing 4 speed. I found that I could use the factory 74 engine cover by sliding the engine cover latch up slightly where it is bolted to the rear firewall, and readjusting the rear corner bump stops. This was using dual DCNFs, Sprint manifold, and Sprint air cleaner.

I did the 1500/5 5spd swap in a '74. I used a '77 engine cover and the '74 shiftier. The clearance for the air cleaners is pretty tight. I also had to slot the holes for the Ansa muffler that I reused.
BTW - If you reuse the muffler from the '74 you'll need to remove the studs that mount the muffler bracket to the 4spd trans and put them on the 5spd.

Last edited:
I must be the odd one. When I had the 1500 in my 74, I kept the 74 engine cover, but took out the rain tray. Everything barely fit. I personally like the early engine cover better, but that is strictly a personal esthetics decision. Of all the swaps, this is the easiest by far. Even if you go with an FI solution, it will still fit.

Back