What did you do to your X1/9 today ?

Hi to all,

Firstly I hope everyone is doing well in these trying times. This is my first post as I'm new to X1/9 ownership. Just bought my first one, a 78 1300 4 speed. I plan on doing a full nut and bolt restoration. I have been told by some Fiat tifosi that I should just dig a hole in my backyard, throw $20K in cash in it, and set it on fire.
So I've pulled all the front suspension out for a full rebuild. It will include, powder coating, painting and yellow zincing of all fasteners etc. Rear suspension coming out this weekend.

Cheers
Scott

Attachments

• IMG_1121.JPG
    IMG_1121.JPG
    309 KB · Views: 110
  • DSCN2182.JPG
    DSCN2182.JPG
    175.1 KB · Views: 112
Always great to welcome a new patient/member to the nut house!
Congrats on your new purchase.
Looks to be in decent shape.
This is a great group that has a wealth of experience and is generous with their knowledge. Good luck with your project.

Yes, welcome to you! There are many members from Australia in our group. Instead of burning it, I could take your 20K$. Nice project. Hope you don't plan on keeping the luggage rack 😄

Indeed, welcome!

They were right, you should dig a hole and burn it. This is an insidious disease which will take more and more of your time.

Seriously this is a great hobby and will net you a car which feels like no other.

Happy to have you. Introduce yourself in a separate thread and be prepared to show pictures.

We can lecture you more there :)

What Karl means is you will have a car that feel pretty much like the other one or two X1/9s you own. What's that???? You say you only have one X1/9, give it time. 😈

View attachment 34371
Thanks guys. I'm not new to releiving myself of large amounts of money on cars. I've owned a bunch of Porsches, twelve of which were 928's. Currently also have one under a full nut and bolt resto. It's a RHD 79 928 4.5 manual.

Well....that took all of three weeks. I just bought another X. A late 79 1500 5spd.

Its pretty simple all you do is simply tell us what you've done to your X1/9 during the current day or in the late evening prior. It can be anything from a fun drive, wash/wax, to engine rebuilding etc.. Pics and video are always welcome for incrimination.. :eek:mg:.. I mean entertainment purposes.
Today I cleaned both ends of my trunk lid and engine lid cable ferules with a 2mm twist bit with a holder. WD40 and clean up in preparation of taking the cable inners. The engine lid cable from Eurosport silver soldered end (bonus) was patiently inserted into little tunnel of lever in new housing.
Needle nosed circles pliers helped in going into groove to grab cable end. then fed out the back of black housing and ball snugly in lever hole. Now to wait for trunk lid cable to be in stock at Eurosport or alternatively from Midwest -Bayless.

Shhhh you will put him off...
Mate I removed the rear suspension, gearbox, torque tube and bellhousing from a 928 by myself, haven't put it back together mind you. Don't really want to either to be honest. Hopefully I can manage that pedal assembly, and if not, I have a little wife...lol. "Darling...would you like a new pair of shoes?"

Mate I removed the rear suspension, gearbox, torque tube and bellhousing from a 928 by myself, haven't put it back together mind you. Don't really want to either to be honest. Hopefully I can manage that pedal assembly, and if not, I have a little wife...lol. "Darling...would you like a new pair of shoes?"
Oh the number of oh boy jobs in most Porsche’s would give us pause. A friend needs to replace a plate to his automatic transmissioned 944 which entails dropping the rear suspension transaxle, torque tube and bell housing apparently. The car has not moved in the 11 years I have known him.

I would presume the 928 is even worse.

Oh the number of oh boy jobs in most Porsche’s would give us pause. A friend needs to replace a plate to his automatic transmissioned 944 which entails dropping the rear suspension transaxle, torque tube and bell housing apparently. The car has not moved in the 11 years I have known him.

I would presume the 928 is even worse.

Because German build quality. Because German engineering.

I still have a manilla envelope containing a 2" stack of parts receipts from my 928 project 35 years ago. It wasn't a restoration mind you. I was just barely keeping it alive. Whenever I feel weakness for anything 928 related I just sniff that stack of colored paper. Clears the senses like smelling salts!

Finally tracked down the intermittent fault that caused the revs to be restricted to 3000rpm. Turns out that the fancy bells and whistles rev counter I fitted was the issue. When turning the ignition on the needle goes right round to the stop and back (I'm told for calibration?) . If you turn the ignition on and start the car in one movement, in effect not letting do its little start up procedure, it interferes with the rev limit. It would appear that before we turn on the ignition we often unconsciously pause to scratch our head, make sure our sunglasses are straight, put on seatbelt, etc and then start the car.

I still have a manilla envelope containing a 2" stack of parts receipts from my 928 project 35 years ago. It wasn't a restoration mind you. I was just barely keeping it alive. Whenever I feel weakness for anything 928 related I just sniff that stack of colored paper. Clears the senses like smelling salts!
I have a full drawer of x19 bills... But it never occured to me that I could go down in the basement to sniff it... 40 years of receipts...

Back