What did you do to your X1/9 today ?

Another CnC and I am the lone Fiat so far. I brought the 86 today.
IMG_20210619_074347_01.jpg

I still have my cylinder head straightening oven and all the fixtures. It will get to 700 degrees. There are forms and wedges and hold downs so you can apply force to untwist a head with heat. I use it mostly for powder coating though
That could certainly work, unlike the blowtorch method in the video. ;)

I'd like to see someone try the torch method on a head made with magnesium alloy. :p

Man y'all have been busy, lots of cool updates in the past while.

I haven't done much of anything in a while, except scramble to cover the car up to protect it from this tropical storm bearing down on the gulf coast. It got very wet unfortunately.... scared of rust. Can these cars get rained on or is it a death sentence for it? Only one rust hole that I know of, and am getting it fixed soon.

Not really X1/9, but I did manage to order a new engine for my 13' 500 Abarth. Excited to get that dependable again. Of course it's getting a few performance goodies while it's apart :) .

Also, for anyone in the path of the storm: stay safe!

So they haven't improved in quality/reliability in 40 years. 😢
Thankfully the need for replacement isn't on FPT. The engines are very very stout. They don't mind 29lb of boost on the stock turbo, and can make over 270ftlb without issue. It's the C510 trans that seems to give way first.

Ultimately it got hydrolocked in a flash flood, but for a combination of reasons. I had a fenderwell intake on the car- which wasn't too much of an issue under flood conditions. I'd always press the clutch and let it idle through big puddles. Unfortunately my mom was driving and didn't realize that...got caught in a flash flood when there was *no* rain forecasted and after some reviving, it drives, but the oil was sparkly and it makes a loud tap or knock.

Can't trust it to drive the 4h to college so it's just been sitting and the cars condition has really declined in the past few months. Thankfully it's on track to be all shiny again.

I finally got all of my lights working, on my 1976.
The left front high beam was out. So what did I do first? After cleaning and replacing the fuses.
I replaced the headlamp, the light rocker switch, checked the ground.
And still it did not work, I then talked to Chris at Fiat parts here in California.
He asked if I had pinched the fuse contacts, for a better connection. Oops, no I had not.
And that was it, now all the lights work inside and out. And I have the high beam indicator light on on the dash for the first time. Now if I could just get the horn to work.

The last couple of days ,doing body work on front end almost ready to prime .

Attachments

• 315D5A01-0A6D-407E-AB69-FEC98449663E.jpeg
    315D5A01-0A6D-407E-AB69-FEC98449663E.jpeg
    243.6 KB · Views: 95
  • F181FA62-28D8-4B15-8B7E-9DAB7C006330.jpeg
    F181FA62-28D8-4B15-8B7E-9DAB7C006330.jpeg
    303.6 KB · Views: 107
I finally got all of my lights working, on my 1976.
The left front high beam was out. So what did I do first? After cleaning and replacing the fuses.
I replaced the headlamp, the light rocker switch, checked the ground.
And still it did not work, I then talked to Chris at Fiat parts here in California.
He asked if I had pinched the fuse contacts, for a better connection. Oops, no I had not.
And that was it, now all the lights work inside and out. And I have the high beam indicator light on on the dash for the first time. Now if I could just get the horn to work.
This would be why the Lada fuse box modification should be done. It is a good investment of time for extended reliability.

It’s insane how cheap those are - under $10. My 2022 list…
I did mine the other week. Maybe a half hour job to swap over.

Made the filler plate. The Lada unit is shorter than the Fiat.
1-filler_plate.jpg

Started swapping connections. I did the hot side first. Then the fused side. Hot side connections have plastic covers. Fused side needed heat shrink.
2-heatshrink.jpg

Added the hot side jumpers. This finishes the connections.
3-all_connections_done.jpg

And installed.
4-installed.jpg

The angle of the wires out of the fuse panel is different on the Lada unit which comes straight out the back. The Fiat panel is angled downward. So I had to move that relay that is right behind the panel. You can see it dangling at the bottom of that last photo.

Roy

View attachment 48774

Started swapping connections. I did the hot side first. Then the fused side. Hot side connections have plastic covers. Fused side needed heat shrink.
View attachment 48775

View attachment 48776

And installed.
View attachment 48777

The angle of the wires out of the fuse panel is different on the Lada unit which comes straight out the back. The Fiat panel is angled downward. So I had to move that relay that is right behind the panel. You can see it dangling at the bottom of that last photo.

Roy
That would be worthy of its own thread.

Nice job.

View attachment 48774

View attachment 48775

View attachment 48776

And installed.
View attachment 48777

Roy
Nicely done.

Just for the sake of other readers, this is true for the early X's. But not so much for the later X's with the Euro ceramic fuses, but located on the passenger side in a large tray with all the relays and a ton of wiring. There it is not so simple; for one thing it has more fuses than any of the Lada units offer. So you would need to put two of them and that makes for a rather tight squeeze in a already congested space. Secondly the fuse panel has several "bussed" positions - more than a couple of jumper wires can do. Third the wiring is a real mess in the later fuse box, crammed in with a lot of relay wires, and not so easy to transfer to a new fuse holder. I'm not saying the newer style fuses wouldn't be nice to have, just saying it isn't the same project for all years.

HI the last few days got front end primed , painted test panel trying to decide on colour ,!,?,!,?.

Attachments

• 6D579622-2471-4B7C-8203-CF0531CD3779.jpeg
    6D579622-2471-4B7C-8203-CF0531CD3779.jpeg
    211 KB · Views: 120
  • 9895B693-D526-41F2-BBE9-33678284BEDE.jpeg
    9895B693-D526-41F2-BBE9-33678284BEDE.jpeg
    228.3 KB · Views: 116
  • 99321256-A0D5-4027-A0D9-1A08D5452A9D.jpeg
    99321256-A0D5-4027-A0D9-1A08D5452A9D.jpeg
    212.9 KB · Views: 116
Back