What did you do to your X1/9 today ?

One of the local photographers took a nice picture of me and my 85X rolling into the CnC this morning. 👍 It was a little cold and windy, but there was a really good turnout. The parking lots were packed with cars and people. Everybody in STL is getting itchy for Spring to come around.
View attachment 71255
Sweet ride.

One of the local photographers took a nice picture of me and my 85X rolling into the CnC this morning. 👍 It was a little cold and windy, but there was a really good turnout. The parking lots were packed with cars and people. Everybody in STL is getting itchy for Spring to come around.
View attachment 71255
Nice! We're not at that point yet here in Peoria.....

View attachment 71255
Damn Jim, that looks fantastic. Great color and paint job.

We had 12” of snow on Friday morning. 3-4 more tonight. We have had more than 100 inches of snow this winter, not a record but more than we have been getting for many years.

Winter is doing its best to hang on here. Lots of residual salt on the roads for weeks to come.

Winter is doing its best to hang on here. Lots of residual salt on the roads for weeks to come.
I didn't need to shovel once this winter. We did get a couple 1" dustings, but that is all. We had one storm forecasted at 8-10" that ended up tracking just north of STL and we got 2". Most of your big snow storms rolled through STL as rain, a lot of rain, so the salt is washed away. Now we just need some warmer weather, but the long range forecast says it will remain coldish through mid April. :(

Today I'm cleaning another transmission so I can go through it. Every time I start working on a used trans I'm reminded how much I hate cleaning old filthy components....and especially transmissions are the worst. :rolleyes: They always have a ton of old heavy gear lube, engine oil, road grime, CVJ grease, clutch material, dirt, gravel, corrosion, sealants, and everything else imaginable combined together and cooked for decades. Being on the bottom of the drivetrain means it gathers the greatest amount of that crud and seems to be the area least likely to ever get cleaned. Add to that it is next to the exhaust system to further bake it on. Not to mention it has a ton of webbing, nooks, valleys, hidden gullys, and porous surfaces that are difficult to reach and clean. Plus it is aluminum so you cannot utilize more aggressive cleaning techniques that are possible with cast iron. o_O What a messy, smelly, nasty job. I'd really enjoy restoring vintage cars more if they weren't so dirty. Doesn't anyone ever clean their vehicles? :mad:

Break time is over, so back to more scrubbing. :confused:

Today I'm cleaning another transmission so I can go through it. Every time I start working on a used trans I'm reminded how much I hate cleaning old filthy components....and especially transmissions are the worst. :rolleyes: They always have a ton of old heavy gear lube, engine oil, road grime, CVJ grease, clutch material, dirt, gravel, corrosion, sealants, and everything else imaginable combined together and cooked for decades. Being on the bottom of the drivetrain means it gathers the greatest amount of that crud and seems to be the area least likely to ever get cleaned. Add to that it is next to the exhaust system to further bake it on. Not to mention it has a ton of webbing, nooks, valleys, hidden gullys, and porous surfaces that are difficult to reach and clean. Plus it is aluminum so you cannot utilize more aggressive cleaning techniques that are possible with cast iron. o_O What a messy, smelly, nasty job. I'd really enjoy restoring vintage cars more if they weren't so dirty. Doesn't anyone ever clean their vehicles? :mad:

Remove. Clean. Paint. I feel your pain. :)
1300_tranny_separated_b.JPGclean_4spd_1.JPGclean_4spd_2.JPGclean_4spd_3.JPGclean_4spd_4.JPGIM002819.JPG

but the satisfaction when it’s done is priceles!

Did the second re torque of the head bolts today, some snugged down a tiny bit more and some didn’t go past the first re torque point. One nut/stud combo proved a bit tricky to access and I had to remove the cam end plate to get clearance.

Also found the carb spacer was warped so took the opportunity to flatten both sides so it sealed a bit better.

Attachments

• BA59FAA1-5C49-44BB-A91A-C4B50A0CACA9.jpeg
    BA59FAA1-5C49-44BB-A91A-C4B50A0CACA9.jpeg
    191.4 KB · Views: 75

I think Dr. Jeff neglected to mention the baked on cosmolene waxy brown coating on the lower surfaces.

The footwell courtesy lighting is a pretty std twin chip t10 led only because I didn’t have any Osram or Phillip’s t10’s spare and the mood light is a Landrover part primarily door illumination LED but any low level lighting led would do the trick or another t10 or t5 led with a resistor inline to give you a low level light effect.
Pretty much what I had sitting around as you can’t see any of the installation which is really what I was after☺️
Passenger Side installation T10 and LR door illumination LED
View attachment 68747
Driver Side custom aluminium mount with T10 and LR door light
View attachment 68748
Twin Chip T10 footwell courtesy light (door open/interior light switch activated)
View attachment 68749
Footwell Mood light activated on exterior lights activation.
View attachment 68751
I'd love to do this - you said in another forum where you did the taps for power. Can you elaborate a little on that, as to 'where' and 'how', aka just a simple splice into the existing wires? No extra fuses needed or anything else? Any advice on bulbs, other than what you've noted here. The mood lighting is quite nice - I wouldn't mind that if it were very moody, aka just barely lit.
Oh, was a ground needed for any of these?
Looks great

Last edited:
I think Dr. Jeff neglected to mention the baked on cosmolene waxy brown coating on the lower surfaces.
Yes, that and the dealer applied "undercoating" option the original buyer had done. That undercoating was heavily and carelessly sprayed EVERYWHERE. And it is almost impossible to remove. :rolleyes:

I'm going to start a thread about cleaning parts and will refer some of these comments there.

I'd love to do this - you said in another forum where you did the taps for power. Can you elaborate a little on that, as to 'where' and 'how', aka just a simple splice into the existing wires? No extra fuses needed or anything else? Any advice on bulbs, other than what you've noted here. The mood lighting is quite nice - I wouldn't mind that if it were very moody, aka just barely lit.
Oh, was a ground needed for any of these?
Looks great
So basically what I did was take the power line from the fibre optic light and build a distribution box which I could run lines off to power the LED’s for switches, door handle and floor illumination. It’s simply a PCB mount spade and circuit board. This way I could run multiple lines for each light source.
The main floor lighting is directly off the interior light circuit. As I’m using LEDs for all light sources the current draw is far far less than the original lighting hence you can add to your hearts content. Pretty sure the wire colours were black/violet and white/black.

So basically what I did was take the power line from the fibre optic light and build a distribution box which I could run lines off to power the LED’s for switches, door handle and floor illumination. It’s simply a PCB mount spade and circuit board. This way I could run multiple lines for each light source.
The main floor lighting is directly off the interior light circuit. As I’m using LEDs for all light sources the current draw is far far less than the original lighting hence you can add to your hearts content. Pretty sure the wire colours were black/violet and white/black.
And you just tapped into those, no extra fuses due to the low draw…

Roy, don't forget to check the brass nipple that the fuel line attaches to. They can come loose and leak. And yes, that can cause a fire. Ask me how I know :(
Hose barbs at the carb were tight so no issue there.

Received the hose clamps and attached the 1/4" ID hose. Seemed a bit loose on the carb. Tightened the clamp to max but was still able to pull off the hose with 2 fingers! Time to break out the calipers. Fuel tank return - 1/4". Carb return - 3/16". Well, back to the PC and ordered 3/16 fuel hose and clamps.

IMG_2377.JPG

Nice and tight and no more leak.

Roy

I didn't need to shovel once this winter. We did get a couple 1" dustings, but that is all. We had one storm forecasted at 8-10" that ended up tracking just north of STL and we got 2". Most of your big snow storms rolled through STL as rain, a lot of rain, so the salt is washed away. Now we just need some warmer weather, but the long range forecast says it will remain coldish through mid April. :(
Can't wait til the end of the month, my baby is coming home to my new condo so I can drive it anytime. Almost lost the car in the divorce but its all good now, weather is great, will be out 1st of April !!

Back