What did you do to your X1/9 today ?

These are a Chinese copy of the Vitalone California, right down to the "made in Italy" on the base casting.
Actually those ARE the Italian Vitalone mirrors. A Chinese company makes them for Vitalone and Italian law allows the company to say "made in Italy" despite not really being manufactured there. Same for most products sold from most countries. It's a modern world full of surprises.

I also have a set of them to mount on my next X project build. I agree, they are a classic style for these cars. I like your mounting arrangement (most aftermarket mirrors come with crappy mounting hardware). The stock X mirrors mount into a reinforced area of the door. So if you used the same general locations then the mirrors should be very solidly affixed.

The next time you take the car out please check out how the mirrors function and report back. There's been prior posts saying these end up located in a bit of a awkward location for best visibility (if mounted in the stock location). I believe it was noted they should be moved slightly rearward from the original mounting point. But others said otherwise so I'll be interested to hear what you think. Where are yours relative to the original holes?

Installed new door mirrors.

These are a Chinese copy of the Vitalone California, right down to the "made in Italy" on the base casting. 😄 Top of door mounting so maximum droop is at the correct level. I think the size and style of these fit the X perfectly.

The mirrors themselves look to be good quality with a cast aluminum base. The mounting hardware though was not even close to adequate. Mounting screws look to be wood screws, and the gasket was 5mm too short. Complained about the gasket and got a $10 refund off of the $41 purchase price.

Cut a new gasket out of 2mm rubber sheet. Drilled out the bases for 4mm bolts. Used a "B" drill bit and 4mm rivnuts.

View attachment 72120

Went for a drive, first of the year... And forgot to check out the view from the mirrors! Isn't that the first rule of Italian driving? 😁

Roy
good mirrors help you from not being run over by monster SUV’s with texting drivers :)

Installed new door mirrors.

These are a Chinese copy of the Vitalone California, right down to the "made in Italy" on the base casting. 😄 Top of door mounting so maximum droop is at the correct level. I think the size and style of these fit the X perfectly.

The mirrors themselves look to be good quality with a cast aluminum base. The mounting hardware though was not even close to adequate. Mounting screws look to be wood screws, and the gasket was 5mm too short. Complained about the gasket and got a $10 refund off of the $41 purchase price.

Cut a new gasket out of 2mm rubber sheet. Drilled out the bases for 4mm bolts. Used a "B" drill bit and 4mm rivnuts.

View attachment 72120

Went for a drive, first of the year... And forgot to check out the view from the mirrors! Isn't that the first rule of Italian driving? 😁

Roy
Any chance it uses the factory mounting holes on the driver side? That would be a real bonus.

Where are yours relative to the original holes?
Forward and higher. I tried to find a position that I could see the driver side out of the sliding door glass and the passenger side out of the quarter window. Ended up with the driver side partially blocked but ok if I lean over a few inches. Passenger side is ok. For this style of mirror any lower on the passenger side and it would be partially blocked by the door.

Any chance it uses the factory mounting holes on the driver side?
No. Original mirror is 75mm center to center, Californias are 65mm. Also the hole used by the original gasket with it's integrated plug is too large - I used a 3/8" rubber plug to fill (I'll be painting them body colour).

Roy

Attachments

• IMG_2405.JPG
    IMG_2405.JPG
    193.1 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_2410.JPG
    IMG_2410.JPG
    150.5 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_2408.JPG
    IMG_2408.JPG
    135.3 KB · Views: 66
CnC this morning at Fastlane Classic Cars. I got a primo spot.
nice!
Took mine to C&C this mornings here in Cypress TX, parked next to a VTEC Mini and across from orange McLarens.
Like you, 2 spots away from a wild Lambo.
Fiat must have been more approachable than the mega buck exotics, had lots of people asking questions and saying nice things about the X.

Image7845079894160385651.jpg
Image1992062030478578003.jpg

Started cutting the mandrel bent stainless steel exhaust bends to size as replacement coolant pipes.
The previous attempt at bending straight sections resulted in too many kinks.
Pipe sections.jpg

If you find it boring FWD to 6:45 to see the tiny David Lampredi 🇮🇹 leaving the meeting
I checked the CnC group page and someone took a picture of my exit. Look at that blur. I must have really been going fast, or maybe the photographer just didn't have steady hands.
4-8-23 on ramp Caleb Hoelscher photo.jpg

Who is that old dude driving my car? Sigh... there is even an emoji for "older_man". 👴 :(

Found another picture with less blur.

4-8-23 on ramp Angel Calderon photo.jpg

Last edited:
Back