What did you do to your X1/9 today ?

Installed new door mirrors.

These are a Chinese copy of the Vitalone California, right down to the "made in Italy" on the base casting. 😄 Top of door mounting so maximum droop is at the correct level. I think the size and style of these fit the X perfectly.

The mirrors themselves look to be good quality with a cast aluminum base. The mounting hardware though was not even close to adequate. Mounting screws look to be wood screws, and the gasket was 5mm too short. Complained about the gasket and got a $10 refund off of the $41 purchase price.

Cut a new gasket out of 2mm rubber sheet. Drilled out the bases for 4mm bolts. Used a "B" drill bit and 4mm rivnuts.

View attachment 72120

Went for a drive, first of the year... And forgot to check out the view from the mirrors! Isn't that the first rule of Italian driving? 😁

Roy
The first rule of Italian driving is " what's a behind doesn't matter, it's in the past" LOL

Took the X for the first run this year! Mid 60's out. First drive is always my favorite as I tend to forget how much I enjoy this car over the winter. Best part was not a drop of oil on the garage floor after changing the shift shaft seal & RH trans seal & filling with Redline MTL last year.

Washed, then drover her all over town and the local farmland. Happy Easter everyone.
0.jpg

Played with Photshopping the traffic out of a photo. It turned out OK. It takes too long to remember all the editing tricks and eventually I get tired of trying. I just wanted a decent pic to use as a desktop background and I think I achieved that.

Original:
4-8-23 on ramp Angel Calderon photo.jpg

Version where I finally got tired of playing with it:
4-8-23 on ramp Angel Calderon photoshopped 7.jpg

It is kind of Monet-ish, but it will do. :)

Well, Chicago is receiving some unexpected warm weather this weekend and my wife will be out of town visiting my daughter at school for Mothers weekend. So it looks like I will be spending some time with my Mistress showering her with trinkets of my affection acquired through the winter months.

1681419383187.png

My car had a pretty big shake. A little like an out of balance tire but more a wobble. Took off all 4 wheels and cleaned the hubs, shims and back of the rims. problem solved.

FB_IMG_1681825447884.jpg

I figured I'd share this photo my friend Alvin (white 124) posted of a recent fiat group track day.

Not sure if this X is around here, but it looked like a lot of fun!

Actually those ARE the Italian Vitalone mirrors. A Chinese company makes them for Vitalone and Italian law allows the company to say "made in Italy" despite not really being manufactured there. Same for most products sold from most countries. It's a modern world full of surprises.

I also have a set of them to mount on my next X project build. I agree, they are a classic style for these cars. I like your mounting arrangement (most aftermarket mirrors come with crappy mounting hardware). The stock X mirrors mount into a reinforced area of the door. So if you used the same general locations then the mirrors should be very solidly affixed.

The next time you take the car out please check out how the mirrors function and report back. There's been prior posts saying these end up located in a bit of a awkward location for best visibility (if mounted in the stock location). I believe it was noted they should be moved slightly rearward from the original mounting point. But others said otherwise so I'll be interested to hear what you think. Where are yours relative to the original holes?
Did a quick search after reading this and came up with this link if anyone is interested. I'd be shocked if they were real but they are cheap.
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2255...7!sea!US!112811489&curPageLogUid=CihqW3bVmlmo

That is basically what I bought. Right down to the crappy screws and wrong sized gaskets. Except out of amazon, and $41 CAD with free shipping. Then $10 CAD refund for the gaskets.

Overall I'd say pretty good value. They are solid on the car with better mounting. No vibration visible while driving.

Roy

Back