What did you do to your X1/9 today ?

lol. 46 rally wins for Subaru before they pulled out in 2008. Decent record. You mean Martini decorated cars don't all look the same? ;) Fun episode nonetheless, in your backyard so to speak...
46 wins for the Delta in 6 years (all while Toyota/Subaru and Mitsubishi were trying hard to beat them) with an un-matched 6 consecutive WRC manufacturers championships from 1987 to 1992 inclusive... then they pulled out as they had proven their absolute dominance and decided to give the other manufacturers a chance.

Add in the 10 WRC rally wins for the 037 and S4 (and another WRC manufacturers championship for the 037)

Then add in the Stratos' 18 rally wins and 3 WRC championship results (1974/1975/1976)

and then add in the Fulvia results (even though it wasn't called the WRC back then)

and if you want to count them all under the same Fiat group umbrella, add in the 131 Abarth 3 WRC championship titles (1977/1978/1980)

Now THAT'S a decent record...

So that's WRC's For Fiat/Lancia in 1974/75/76/77/78/80/83/87/88/89/90/91/92 ...which is 13 titles in 19 years

please remind any Subaru fans of that next time they try brag about WRC wins. (which for the record was 3 consecutive titles in 1995/96 and 97 - and the 46 victories took them from 1990 to 2008 to amass - 18 years)

SteveC

Last edited:
46 wins for the Delta in 6 years (all while Toyota/Subaru and Mitsubishi were trying hard to beat them) with an un-matched 6 consecutive WRC manufacturers championships from 1987 to 1992 inclusive... then they pulled out as they had proven their absolute dominance and decided to give the other manufacturers a chance.

Add in the 10 WRC rally wins for the 037 and S4 (and another WRC manufacturers championship for the 037)

Then add in the Stratos' 18 rally wins and 3 WRC championship results (1974/1975/1976)

and then add in the Fulvia results (even though it wasn't called the WRC back then)

and if you want to count them all under the same Fiat group umbrella, add in the 131 Abarth 3 WRC championship titles (1977/1978/1980)

So that's WRC's For Fiat/Lancia in 1974/75/76/77/78/80/83/87/88/89/90/91/92 ...which is 13 titles in 19 years

please remind any Subaru fans of that next time they try brag about WRC wins. (which for the record was 3 consecutive titles in 1995/96 and 97 - and the 46 victories took them from 1990 to 2008 to amass - 18 years)

SteveC
I'm sitting pretty no matter how you count them I own both brands :p

SteveC
But did they have Martini livery? lol

After a professional detail of VERY tired paint on the rest of the car, I decided to refresh the finish of the front and rear valance/grills. #restoration78

Attachments

• IMG_20230428_153932.jpg
    IMG_20230428_153932.jpg
    276.2 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_20230428_162058.jpg
    IMG_20230428_162058.jpg
    300.2 KB · Views: 91
But did they have Martini livery? lol
Actually. Fiat never used the "Martini" livery on their vehicles, ever AFAIK.

Plenty of Lancia's in WRC and WEC, Alfa Romeo in the DTM, Ferrari on a Grp4 rally effort, and lots and lots of Porsches.

The Factory Fiat 131 - and Ritmo's and 124 spyders - (thru the 1970's and 1980's) used the "Olio Fiat" livery (Blue / Yellow) , the "Alitalia" livery (red/green on a white background) , the "Fiat/Abarth" livery (red body with yellowish green accents) and my personal favourite the "KLM" livery (expanding tri colour blue stripes on white)
131AR KLM.jpg

there were others that were used on the factory cars, like the "Concessioneri Fiat" (Fiat dealer) scheme of red body with black accents/bonnet, and some drivers carried individual sponsorship in some events, like Michele Mouton with Asepotogyl (white body with red/blue accents / stripes)

SteveC

Adjusted my sagging drivers door with the "floor jack" method. It didn't take much to get it back where it belongs. Then took it for a buzz around town.

Adjusted my sagging drivers door with the "floor jack" method. It didn't take much to get it back where it belongs. Then took it for a buzz around town.
Pay attention to how long that adjustment stays where you want it. If the sagging was due to hinge wear rather than "bending" then it will surface again soon. However it is pretty common for things to get bent downward from owners leaning on the door to get in and out of the car. So hopefully that was all it needed. ;)

Pay attention to how long that adjustment stays where you want it. If the sagging was due to hinge wear rather than "bending" then it will surface again soon. However it is pretty common for things to get bent downward from owners leaning on the door to get in and out of the car. So hopefully that was all it needed. ;)
I knew there was no play in the hinges before I started. Curious how well this will hold up though.

Normally I don't post about a single, routine task being accomplished. But I can't resist. I spent a day cleaning up the undercarriage on one of my current builds - and that does not include adding the new finish.

I'm always amazed at the undercoating I find. Typically the factory was rather sloppy with it to begin with. And sadly it did not prevent rust, I often find rust UNDER the factory coating. But in this case the original buyer was persuaded by the dealer to get the optional (dealer installed) undercoating treatment....a popular money maker for car dealers back then. Man did they glop it on! It was 2 inches thick in places. And all over EVERYTHING.

What a mess and a major chore to get looking decent. I removed most of the excess where it was extremely bad. Completely removed it from components that should not be coated. Removed the loose areas that started peeling off. And carefully inspected everywhere for hidden rust. I guess in this case the added aftermarket coating actually helped. The only places a found small spots of rust were where something had hit the undercarriage and removed all the coatings. However this was a (almost) rust free South West car to begin with.

But what a dirty laborious task! Now I can give it a final prep and apply a more attractive (and effective) finish.

Normally I don't post about a single, routine task being accomplished. But I can't resist. I spent a day cleaning up the undercarriage on one of my current builds - and that does not include adding the new finish.

I'm always amazed at the undercoating I find. Typically the factory was rather sloppy with it to begin with. And sadly it did not prevent rust, I often find rust UNDER the factory coating. But in this case the original buyer was persuaded by the dealer to get the optional (dealer installed) undercoating treatment....a popular money maker for car dealers back then. Man did they glop it on! It was 2 inches thick in places. And all over EVERYTHING.

What a mess and a major chore to get looking decent. I removed most of the excess where it was extremely bad. Completely removed it from components that should not be coated. Removed the loose areas that started peeling off. And carefully inspected everywhere for hidden rust. I guess in this case the added aftermarket coating actually helped. The only places a found small spots of rust were where something had hit the undercarriage and removed all the coatings. However this was a (almost) rust free South West car to begin with.

But what a dirty laborious task! Now I can give it a final prep and apply a more attractive (and effective) finish.
Pictures? How high was the car lifted to do this. And if you didn’t do this yourself, where would you go for a fresh application?

How are you removing the under coating Jeff, I have the same job in my future so like to hear what works best.

It’s not what I did for my X19 today, it’s what the X19 did for me.
Thanks to kmead and all the other helpful regulars for the advice regarding Honda Shin-Etsu grease and it’s usefulness.
Today, it saved me from having to buy a replacement kitchen undercounter soap dispenser.

Regarder:

20230509_134530.jpeg

How it’s done…

Undercoating did help on my x as well , there was lots of it ,scraped off as much as possible then sprayed with WD40 ,then old rags and varsol ,then repaint ,

Attachments

• IMG_1209.jpeg
    IMG_1209.jpeg
    250.5 KB · Views: 68

When I bought my X, the dealer had already added undercoating to the car. Cost me $50. I was just happy they did not cut a hole in the dash and install one of those crappy radio kits with the horrible little speakers in the doors and a cheap looking antenna on the A pillar. My house mate at the time bought an X about a month after me and literally could not find one without the dealer radio install (There was a run on remaining 74s once people saw what the 75s looked like!). However, his car escaped without undercoating. When both cars were near stock, my car was noticably quieter than his as far as road noise goes so I'll just chalk up the $50 as sound insulation. With all the mods, I have not heard any road noise over the sound of the engine in a very long time.

It turned out that putting on undercoating was about the only thing that my Fiat dealer was competent at. They were so bad at servicing the car that I had to get Fiat USA back in New Jersey involved on some matters.

Last edited:
Pictures? How high was the car lifted to do this. And if you didn’t do this yourself, where would you go for a fresh application?
How are you removing the under coating Jeff, I have the same job in my future so like to hear what works best.
Undercoating did help on my x as well , there was lots of it ,scraped off as much as possible then sprayed with WD40 ,then old rags and varsol ,then repaint ,
When I bought my X, the dealer had already added undercoating to the car. Cost me $50. I was just happy they did not cut a hole in the dash and install one of those crappy radio kits with the horrible little speakers in the doors and a cheap looking antenna on the A pillar. My house mate at the time bought an X about a month after me and literally could not find one without the dealer radio install (There was a run on remaining 74s once people saw what the 75s looked like!). However, his car escaped without undercoating. When both cars were near stock, my car was noticably quieter than his as far as road noise goes so I'll just chalk up the $50 as sound insulation. With all the mods, I have not heard any road noise over the sound of the engine in a very long time.

It turned out that putting on undercoating was about the only thing that my Fiat dealer was competent at. They were so bad at servicing the car that I had to get Fiat USA back in New Jersey involved on some matters.
As usual, no pictures.

Due to the lack of rust or damage, I decided not to completely remove all the undercoating. Afterall it has protected the car quite well so far. Instead I wanted to make it more presentable and do some small repairs to it. Most of the ugly stuff was the dealer applied coating; kind of rubbery compared to the hard coating the factory used. I used a wire wheel on a angle grinder to sort of "sand" or "grind" down the excessively thick or messy areas. Also to clean up areas where it had been compromised or small rust spots formed. As well as to completely remove it from the components that I didn't want it on (suspension, brakes, etc). The wire wheel makes a huge mess but cuts through it pretty easily.

There was a discussion about completely removing all undercoating for a bare shell restoration. I believe it was in one of the longer threads covering the whole car build - maybe one of the guys from Europe? Or perhaps it was Mark Olsen's build? However I might be confusing that with removing the interior sound deadening material?

In the past I tried one method that many people swear by. Using dry ice to literally freeze the coating, then break it off in big chunks. Although it did not work for me. Apparently the brutally hot climate here would not allow the coating to freeze no matter how much dry ice I put on it. For that build I used a pneumatic "needle scaling remover" to dig under it and peel it off.

Wire wheel:
81oVaJbCwDL._SX522_.jpg

Scale remover:
51dyQEvKLgL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Back