What did you do to your X1/9 today ?

Spring Fiat.jpg
Really enjoyed miles yesterday and today in the X with the top off; clear blue skies and 51/49 degrees. Had been experiencing X withdrawals since having it hauled home the 3rd week of December. It was 5 miles from home at family Christmas and wouldn't start. Jon, at Midwest-124, diagnosed the problem online: bad fuel pump. He's the best, always responding quickly to questions and great advice! X is now running good after new mechanical fuel pump, new fuel, oil, and air filters, new fuel lines from pump to carb, and new plugs. Also installed new wiper motor today. And this morning ordered a new front trunk cable, old one snapped yesterday where it had been temporarily fixed a year and a half ago. MWB parts arrive within a day or two. One order in the past made it under 24 hours. Great service there! Now looking forward to spring and summer again.

Replaced the clutch, and swapped the 5 speed with an unknown 5 speed (I need to replace synchros in my 86) and I had a 5 speed from a 79 so I swapped them and the clutch with the hopes this one will work well enough to enjoy the car as I am working on the trans (and the clutch started doing some strange things)

First thing in the morning it would be stuck (if you started the motor in neutral I could not get into gear {would have to start in gear and the car would lunge and then the clutch would break free}) And when slipping to get moving it would make a horrible grinding sound.

I was kinda surprised to find that one side had the friction completely blown off (and the car would still move) (And of course it had to be the flywheel side. (I would expect a car to not be able to move with this much missing)

IMG_1047[1].JPG
IMG_1048[1].JPG
IMG_1045[1].JPG
IMG_1046[1].JPG

was a bit of a mess in there. kinda wondering if the input shaft was leaking some but it was not runny wet, just very wet. And the trans was low when I got the car a few years ago. And was not full when I pulled it.

Now the kinda frustrating part. Get the 79 installed (just used that flywheel and clutch assembly. (did not have to buy any parts for this day's adventure) Go for a test drive does not want to stay in 4th (but I think that is a shifter adjustment) Got back home to do that, back in and jack up the back and it's almost like taking an oil shower under the car

IMG_1049[1].JPG
IMG_1050[1].JPG

I wipe down the transmission and have the wife run the car and I don't see a drop form on any of the transmission. So I am a bit puzzled!! I put in about 4 qts of motor oil/ATF (it's what I have on hand at the moment) The car is still on stands with paper towels under it to see if I get any leaks from the trans....

Anyone have any shoot from the hip thoughts....

The test drive was great I can do a 1-2 and a 2-3 shift with no grind or crunch!! so much more fun to drive. I did adjust the linkage and will test again before taking it apart if I have to (to deal with the major leak)

Was feeling great to have the car back again only to the dripped on by oil.. oh well part of the fun!!

Attachments

• IMG_1044[1].JPG
    IMG_1044[1].JPG
    168.8 KB · Views: 88
From your pics it looks like you only had the leak on the driver's side. That's where the vent is. If you overfilled it (the service manual calls for 3.2 quarts) that's where it would come out.

Also way to thin of an oil. You really need to put in gl1. overfilled with light oil could easily explain why it came out the vent. It doesnt take much oil to make a real big mess

After looking and looking last night I was wondering if it was overfilled. (might be when I pulled the funnel out I did put the plug in quick and it was leaking, maybe it was more full then I thought.

I do have a local source for gl1 but I had motor oil at hand (and an unknown trans so wanted to put cheaper oil (that would protect the trans).

Sounds like it might be a non-issue and I am maybe making a mountain out of this molehill. Will check the oil level when I can get under it again.

Glad to get some quick feed back!! And seeing what we are thinking it could be makes Me happy.

(does anyone think motor oil could harm anything?)

Engine oil in a transmission won't hurt it but it won't last too long in there. From what I understand the gear meshing action will break apart and shear the long oil chains and it will lose it's effectiveness as a lubricant long before a gear oil will. But the lower viscosity may offer benefits in other areas (shorter warmup for easier shifting, who knows?)

Actually the ATF will do a decent internal cleaning. Just don't leave it in there very long. One problem with a trans is it does not drain ALL of its fluid when draining while still on the car. But it looks like you will be removing it and tearing it down anyway.

Had to move the car put to clean the floor before I continue body work. Quite a bit of coolant spilled after the thermostat replacement. Also discovered I forgot to bolt the seat belt back in. Hope I can find where I goes without having to take everything back out.
20180323_101728.jpg

Odie

Trying to pass smog but they had niggling issues.
Where do the read and yellow hoses to go?
Also, whether the two green connections for the vacuum to canister is correct?

Finally, the inspection place said he couldn't see the marks on the flywheel so he couldn't confirm the timing. Is that a thing? It's never been brought up before. I rebuilt the transaxle and put in a new clutch but I don't think I touched the flywheel--there seems to be one pin in it, so it won't work in any other position. Is there some sort of lining up when putting it back together that wasn't covered in any of the manuals? Does he just have bad eyes?
hose routing.jpg

Jeff- it's been a hell of a week this week, but I will out a bit together. My thought is that what I did was not necessarily something anyone would want to emulate, but it could be a springboard for ideas. If -once tested next week- the replacement for the factory hazard switch pans out as I think it will, it will be a nice option, especially when the factory switches have been changed.

Thanks buddy. Actually I was interested in the gauge panel you installed in the center console more than the replacement emergency-flasher switch, but that too. No hurry, just curious if your design offers new thoughts on how I can do it. I have some additional gauges to add somewhere on the dash.

pulled the head on the wifes Blue (84) found a burn valve. (it has been a three banger for a few years now).
IMG_1083.JPG
IMG_1087.JPG
IMG_1091.JPG
IMG_1088.JPG
IMG_1104.JPG
IMG_1103.JPG

found a good use for the oil I had put in the other transmission. (pull all 4 at about 1/2 mast and filled them with oil. Will see if the rings are still good. looked the same after an hour. will see what it looks like in the morning.

Going to call Bayless and order gaskets, injector seals and hoses. Anything else anyone can think of that I should do as I am this far in. Already have a t-belt and bearing.

Need to pull the header and see if my welding guy can weld up the crack (1st runner right at the head).

Kinda fun getting the wife to get involved as well.

No greasy fingers for my dental hygienist wife. She doesn’t get involved in the maintenance of our cars.

That is a seriously burnt valve... like missing a chunk

Looks like your #1 and #2 intake valves are more recessed in the head- could just be a photo distortion- but new #2, see where the lapping in goes, before deciding further.

It is at a machine shop, 4 exhaust valves for sure, and a valve grind, guides checked out good on Thursday. I did ponder doing some port work or anything but it is going back on a used bottom end and the wife is happy with how it was before, Also has a comment about putting a 1300 head on it to get more go, But again something said for keeping her daily driver simple.

Back