X1/9 appraised today....

Seriously can the hood be adjusted?

No joke. My hood has always stayed up a little even though it is locked down it won't close all the way. It seems to close a little more on the passenger side then the drivers side. I thought it was because of the top being in it or the speaker box in the front trunk but the hood doesn't come into contact with either.

I don't know if I need to tighten up the wire from inside the car so that it pulls the hood more or is there an adjustent for the hood hinges that lower them just a 1/4" would probably be enough.

Any thoughts?

'PeteX1/9

my hood was somewhat the same way, although not to that extreme. I tightened up the wire and it helped a bit. If that does not work, you might want to see if something is broken within the latch itself.

Hey Pete, see if the bolts for the latch are loose or can be adjusted to help. Is the hood warped? If you press down on it, will it go further, if yes, then you should be able to get it to close evenly.

As for appraisal figures, the Canadian market has been higher for at least the last 5 years that I remember. I mean, when was the last time you saw a decent driver in Ontario for $1,500-2,000?

15,000 minimum in Canada

Pete,
I had mine appraised at $15,000 in april (In Quebec province).
It' sure your car must be appraised to the same or more, your car is amazing:love:.

img16631.jpg

img16701.jpg

Can you post the appraisal? I say that because I will be brutally honest.. I dont believe it.:D.I have this new philosophy. With out Pics or video it didnt happen.:hrmph: So with that said.. Show that baby off... I would also love to see what a Car appraisal write up looks like...Do they use a cost comparison approach or do they use Comps that sell at public auctions? Or do they have some sort of way to track private sales, Because I was under the impression the only way to really gauge the value of a classic car was the Comp at Auction Sale approach. There is an X/19 in this months SCM Magazine that sold for a little less than 5k and it was very nice... JJ

Well... let me be BRUTALLY honest also...

I doubt seriously that Yves LIED and I do believe however it was appraised... he did indeed get an INSURANCE value at $15,000 CANADIAN.

In any case... in order for him to ever see $15,000 for his car he will haveta find another crazy person (probably a Canadian or Southeast Asian like you did...) to actually PAY that much for the car... or BURN IT DOWN in his driveway to collect on the policy.

Black Tooth is appraised at $8000 USD and I know that is what I would haveta do to ever see that much money for him, not that I would ever think of EVER letting him go... HA!

Hmmmmmmmmmmm. I think there may be a difference between an insurance agreed value and an actual appraisal. In a car appraisal you actually pay someone to come out and appraise the car. Then you receive a copy of said appraisal.. I have my 850 insured for 10g but that does not mean I have had it appraised by an automotive appraiser... Did Yves actually get an appraisal? or is it some inspector for the insurance company just evaluating the car for a Policy?????

That's where my thoughts were going on this, too.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm. I think there may be a difference between an insurance agreed value and an actual appraisal. In a car appraisal you actually pay someone to come out and appraise the car. Then you receive a copy of said appraisal.. I have my 850 insured for 10g but that does not mean I have had it appraised by an automotive appraiser... Did Yves actually get an appraisal? or is it some inspector for the insurance company just evaluating the car for a Policy?????

There is "market value" and then there is "replacement value". The replacement value of a classic car that you have made into the best of the best can be 5 to 10 times the actual market value, restoration services, and the labor and parts to do it all over again being what they are.

There is the appraisal

Jay,
for the appraisal they ask me if it for insurance or government tax sales, I mention it’s for insurance.
I know I will be never be able to sale the car to that evaluation but the good thing if I crash car or the car is steal my insurance will paid $15k.

Appraisal for sale tax is another story… presently I’m not seller.

Another point I'm not friend with the appraisal guys! :thumbsup:
The amount is at page 3 at the bottom in commentary

datascan0001.jpg

datascan0002.jpg

datascan0003.jpg

datascan0004.jpg

datascan0005.jpg

datascan0006.jpg

datascan0007.jpg

datascan0008.jpg

datascan0009.jpg

datascan0010.jpg

datascan0011.jpg

Very Interesting. I wish I could Read French. I can speak a little but not read it.. I think I need to look into getting some appraisals done.:D Is it expensive???

Appraisal cost

The company who made the appraisal (DataScan) charge me $125.00.

They send and electronic info to my insurance and a hard copy to me.

Cool.. I wish you could translate what it sais... I find it very interesting. See if they took that approach with real estate we would..........Oh wait they already did it was called the S&L scandal of the early 90s. Where they were appraising homes for more than there value to drive up the prices... So I guess I understand from an insurance standpoint but My insurance company only uses comparable sales approach similar to a real estate appraiser. You can not take 6 cars listed on Craigslist for 20,000 dollars for sale and call that the market price.. According to them I must provide examples of cars that actually sold.. Which is very difficult with private sales so I have to use sales on Ebay and such....thank God that there was a Racing 850 spider that sold last summer for $11,000 bucks Or I would have never been able to bump the to 10 grand on the policy...:eek:mg:

Oh and As far as the Sales comparison Approach The following companies all use this method
Keith Martins Sports car Market Price Guide
CPI Cars of Particular Interest aka the Black book
NADA Guide national automobile dealers association
These are the only 3 I am aware of that value older cars like our cars....

The issue here in Québec the appraiser doesn’t have really sale reference. Fiat stop in 1981 importing cars in Canada. I think the appraiser try to match the evaluation with quality and effort of the restoration, and it’s probably why they ask if the appraisal is for government Tax or insurance.

For my point it sure I will benefit if I crash the car.
Next week I will try to translate the page 3.

Well Ima gonna quit dancing here...

... and as you and Larry both know... whether you PAY for a Professional Car Appraisal or look at a Blue Book or get an Insurance Appraisal... it all comes down to what REAL people are willing to pay... (with a few crazy exceptions) or what insurance has agreed to pay when you lit it off in your driveway.

Carry on if you must... I have better things to do... not many mind you... but I'll find something!

I still want to know how they arrive at a number with out sales references.. If it is based on quality of restoration and repair receipts... Then why not 30,000 or even 40,000. Where does the 15k figure come from? If they were to use that method to appraise a car that has not been altered or repainted what figure do they use??? There must be some type of baseline for establishing value...:)

My appraisal

which was for insurance purposes was in reference to a book. My appraiser was a professional not employed by the insurance company. He also mentioned the appraised value was replacement value and in almost every case the owner has way more dollars in the vehicle than it is worth.

MINE was appraised at $5500 but really its priceless.

Mine was appraised at $15,700 CDN !!!........... and it would never get that in a sale.

...however, Canadian prices for these "rare in Canada" cars is definately higher in Canada and the insurance companies have no problem offering no-hassle total-payout policies in the event of a crash, fire, theft of the said vehicle....the insurance system for collector cars here is far different from the actual appraisal done if you were to try and trade the car on another...but it is the same appraisal as used to trand
sfer ownership and from which sales tax is calculated on when registering a classic car here in Ontario Canada.

MIne is written in English, but my scanner is presently broken...trust me...nothing is earth shatteringly wonderful about my car...just a solid presentable driver...that cost me a little over $7 gs last year and has had a few bucks spent on her since.....nothing to warrant $15,700 valuation.....and nothing like Pete's show car.

Paul

So are you saying the only purpose of the appraisal is for your benefit in the event of catastrophic loss??? Then I will say that these are indeed not actually appraisals. They are insurance evaluations. And I attest to you.. If you are going to get an insurance evaluation on an agreed value coverage.. Go for the Gold... Get the highest one you can..I think I should get an address in Canada and get some insurance there....:lol::dance2:

I recieved my appraisal yesterday....

Much like Yves, I am very happy with the results of my appraisal as it is a peace of mind. I was going to just mention the amount but I couldn't believe it when I read that members are acusing of lying and instead of just enjoying the moment one has to prove with documents and photos or "it didn't happen"

So anyways here's some photos I just took of parts of my appraisal which is in simillar format as Yves but instead of being in check box form it is written out. The entire document is 14 pages long to be exact.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I supplied the appraiser a detailed list of everything I've done to the car (no labour), just replaced parts and added parts. I also attached a copy of recent listings such as the Ebay listing of the Eurosport X1/9 which although never sold had bidding upto
$13,000 USD but reserve was not met at that time. I also included a listing from last month of a 1985 Bertone X1/9 for sale on www.kijiji.ca in Toronto, Ontario for $12,500 and that was a 1985 Bertone X1/9 all original. I just wanted to demonstrate to the appraiser that although a majority of X's do sell in the single digits the car does have the capacity to draw big numbers.

That's it, I let the appraiser and his company come to a value that they would stand behind for the insurance company which is State Farm Insurance in my case. My appraisal cost me $200.00 and I recieved a hard copy and a hard copy for my Insurance Company.

I don't know what else to say, I think it's awesome and although I have never disagreed with you before Tony I thinks you are wrong about the "lighting it up" to see your money. It's about theft and about my X being repaired now if it sustains damage in an accident which exceeds the "book value" for the car as my appraisal is the NEW book value for my car.:)

'PeteX1/9

Last edited:
Back