X1/9 appraised today....

Not to Worry Yves and Pete

Yves and Pete. Congrats on your appraisals. Hopefully nothing ever happens to your Xs, but it is wise to insure them for the true cost it would take to replace your excellent looking cars.

Do not worry about jjay's comments about not believing you. I have never met jjay, so one should assume the best. At times, though, his posts can be read to be somewhat aggressive. Don't know if he means them that way, and everyone is entitled to his or her opinion.

When I listed my Eurosport X for sale a few months ago on eBay, I had no idea what the car was worth. I knew what I had spent, so I listed it quite high, with a high reserve. I got a couple of bids a few thousand dollars below the reserve, but decided not to sell for that price. Jjay wrote that I must have been playing games with the sale, and gave a list of items wrong with my Eurosport along with his questioning my sincerity. Fair enough.

I did receive very positive comments from other Xweb participants who know me and have seen my Eurosport X. One comment was especially kind in his assessment of Eurosport's show quality body kit installation and painting.

I have learned with this site to expect a few negative perspectives, but overall Xweb is positive and enjoyable to read.

BTW. Glad my unsold $23,000 Eurosport X eBay listing helped with your appraisal. At least some good came out of the listing. The real good, though, is that I get to drive Eurosport this summer since it did not sell. Not so sure were I will store it over the winter (I moved and have a severe parking space issue). I'll deal with that then. For now (if it ever stops raining), the top is off and the tunes are blasting.

You have great looking Xs. Enjoy them, and ignore the negative posts.

Value and payout? what really matters...

Not an expert here but in my experience insurance companies in the USA DO NOT pay out based on appraisals. (only exception is agreed value policy by some of the vintage car insurance companies) They use market value as determined by one or two of the industry companies that research selling prices for cars. An example is CCC valuescope. http://ccc.cccis.com/pages/ccc_valuescope__claim_services_solutions/92.php
The Insurance adjusters job is to save money and believe me they will not overpay for a loss so don't rush out and try that scam. You can expect them to either reject your offer to give them an appraisal or to file it in the round receptacle under their desk.
Bob T.
Pridebody.com

Glad to be Canadian eh!

Well if that is truely how it is in the USA that they will not go by the appraisal at time of payout in the event of a catastrophic loss or theft then that really sucks.

My Insurance company (State Farm) have been telling me for years to get my car appraised and even gave me the phone numbers of appraisers that they've delt with in the past. I've only waited because I wasn't finished the car yet and wanted the appraisal to be of the finished product. I personally brought my Insurance agent his copy of the appraisal and I didn't chance leaving it with a secretary and handed it directly to him. He congatulated me on getting it done and read the appraised value aloud and said "that in the event of something happening we will go by this" so I'm completely confident that my car is worth every penny of the appraised value to State Farm Insurance which is OK with me.

'PeteX1/9

Doesn't your policy plainly state what exact amount you get in the event of a total? Mine does. Agreed value is how it usually done, no? I sure wouldn't go by "we'll go by this" verbally. Mine says; $8,000 in print (on my MG). I imagine your appraisal is the agreed value but is that what the policy now says? I would think. Don't wreck it to find out!!
I totalled a mini van a few years back. That was an interesting experience. It went round and round between the body shop and the insurance company. I got the impression the body shop was trying very hard to get the job at $1 below total. After a couple weeks of this I told the body shop guy to stop screwing around and total it because I would be his worst nightmare as a customer and it would need to be so dang perfect and I would never be satisfied (no lie, I would demand it fixed to a standard so high he'd never make it). It's a screwy industry and as crooked as the day is long.

Peter... listen to Jeff...

You apparently have an appraisal and a "handshake" from your agent... but what you want is an "Agreed upon value" IN WRITING in the event the car is a total loss or stolen.

God forbid if anything happens, you have NO guarantee that they will pay the appraised value. Pete (and I and many others) do, no matter what. If the car is totalled (which wouldn't take much more than a hard hit in the rear...) Grundy, Hagarty, AAA and others with agreed values wil get exactly what is stated in the policy. No argument.

I'm pretty sure State Farm offers the same thing... at least here in the States!

Read the policy

The only way to know is to read your policy. If you do you will be one of a handful. The standard policy for daily drivers (not show cars with driving restrictions) is an actual value policy and if you get into an argument you will end up using the dispute clause of your policy.
Bob

In Canada the "agreed guarateed payout" type policy is known as a 19a policy...a regular 19 policy does not have the guarantee and is subject to insurance adjusters to determine compensation after an event... always insist on 19a in Canada.

Paul

I will call State Farm in the morning and ask them what type of policy I have. Thanks guys for the heads up.

'PeteX1/9

Ultimately, make sure it's in the policy in black and white. Read the paper work. It's a lot to slog through, that legal-ese but that's all that matters should "crunch" time come.

Hood adjustment

There are two rubber bumpers, one on each side about the left and right tips of the hood. They are adjustable by turning. Once you see them you'll know.
Good?

more on adjusting...

In addition to adjusting the bumpers, you can adjust the closure by loosening the bolts that hold the latch, then slide it around a little as needed.

Keep in mind the edge is supposed to be slightly raised in the center, that's where you're suppose to grab it to open it.

If the leading edge is proud or recessed, you can add washers under the hinge to adjust. Added washers to the front hinge bolt raises the edge, adding washers to the rearward bolt lowers the edge.

Hope this helps...

West Coast Canuck's Two Cents

I feel some cars can have a legitimate appraisal. Mustang's, Corvettes, Camaro's etc... But Fiats? (maybe the Spider)
My opinion is that the X1/9 is still a very mis-understood car. How many times a month do you hear some schlepp touting "Fix it again Tony", when your idling in a public parking lot? (I get tired of that by the way)
Look what happens to a new car the second it is sold and driven off the lot! It's value is instantaneously deppreciated!
Ebay is a good source to establish value. It attracts a wide audience, and it covers all makes and models of cars. At the end of the day, any car is worth what a willing BUYER is wanting to shell out the doh-rai-me for! The secret is to finding the buyer who sees the value that you do!

In the city where I live, I can currently sell my house for more than the appraised value! So which is right? Appraisals are a "trick of the mind"!
I'm not particularily fond of appraisals!! What's the shelf life on an appraisal anyways? Look at BJ auctions after the recession. There wasn't very many cars bringing in the big bucks like the previous years, were there? There are just too many variables in markets and economies and supply and demand.
Just enjoy the car and... LIVE!!!

In the Real Estate world appraisals are good for 90 days and they are the property of the lender not the owner of the property. In Fact they are written for the lender not the owner of the property. Look at the Ferrari 328.. The price guides put the low end of the car at 16,000 and the high end at 75,000. There is quite a variance there. I have seen them in bad condition for 10,000 and I have seen some private sales of 89s with less than 3000 miles go for as much as 140,000. So in essence it is very difficult to appraise that car. I think the X is equally difficult to appraise. Now after giving it some serious thought. I think that is entirely possible for some of these car to be worth more than 20 grand. I just cant wait till someone actually starts to pay that much...:grin: Maybe I will set the bar...like I did with that Stock Red Scorpion last year....:D:grin::eek:mg:

Ha... It can also be adjusted with 2 x 4s...

But that shoulda been done a long time before paint.

Old school "Panel Beaters" and body men know these tricks and they are still used today in the MANUFACURING industry... but not as much nowadays. Panels and doors and hoods are just made better than they use to be... with tighter control san lasers and the like.

I useta see men place 2 x 4s in the door jams and bend doors and hoods so that they fit flush... as many times the hinges and latche were NOT the problem.

You may still be able to do that with yours if the hinge and latch adjustments don't work... but A LOT OF CAUTION must be used so as not to ruin your paint.

Kind of like this?

I useta see men place 2 x 4s in the door jams and bend doors and hoods so that they fit flush... as many times the hinges and latche were NOT the problem.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIAYxWCXF8A"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIAYxWCXF8A[/ame]

Back