Al O.

Low Mileage
Good evening. During the rebuild of my 1979 X (carb), the engine did a mild back flip off my low, wheeled cart. I, sort of, broke its fall with my hand, resulting in a few knarly cuts from the spark plugs. Luckily, and unluckily, new filter crushed, distributor cap destroyed and bent the shaft on the distributor. I purchased a Vick replacement, which fits horribly and requires removing or cutting through the access panel. Looking at a distributor on Ebay. The seller, a junkyard, has no pic posted, won't post one until I buy, listed as fitting a 1982 (FI). Wondering if this might fit my X. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

If it is the Bosch FI unit I would think it would work better than the original from a performance standpoint as the advance curve comes on quicker than the 79 which is compromised by emissions requirements. If you need to pass a smog test it may be an issue (or not).

I will go look thru my boxes. I know there are a couple distributors out there. One is definitely a 1300 unit from my 78, but I think there is a Bosch unit hiding out there too. Probably for EFI, but pretty sure it will work with any 1500. Don seems confident and he is smarter than me. :)

I will go look thru my boxes. I know there are a couple distributors out there. One is definitely a 1300 unit from my 78, but I think there is a Bosch unit hiding out there too. Probably for EFI, but pretty sure it will work with any 1500. Don seems confident and he is smarter than me. :)
I was confident it may or may not work. That makes me as smart as a coin flip.

I've got a 79 distributor that came with my 79 short block. It came with no cap or box so have no idea if it works. Since I had already recurved my 74 distributor, I have not looked closely at it. My plan was to investigate recurving the 79 unit at some point as I only need 10 degrees of centrifugal advance. On the 74, it took weaker springs and a blocking plate to get the curve right.

I was confident it may or may not work. That makes me as smart as a coin flip.

I've got a 79 distributor that came with my 79 short block. It came with no cap or box so have no idea if it works. Since I had already recurved my 74 distributor, I have not looked closely at it. My plan was to investigate recurving the 79 unit at some point as I only need 10 degrees of centrifugal advance. On the 74, it took weaker springs and a blocking plate to get the curve right.
I should probably add that whatever I find in a box is an unknown as well. I have lots of parts boxes acquired over the years. I can't remember where some of it came from.

If it is the Bosch FI unit I would think it would work better than the original from a performance standpoint as the advance curve comes on quicker than the 79 which is compromised by emissions requirements. If you need to pass a smog test it may be an issue (or not).
I'm trying to recall when the differences occurred with respect to distributor advance curves. Was it the change from a points dizzy (MM) to a electronic dizzy (Bosch), from 1300 to 1500, carb to FI, or ???

I'm trying to recall when the differences occurred with respect to distributor advance curves. Was it the change from a points dizzy (MM) to a electronic dizzy (Bosch), from 1300 to 1500, carb to FI, or ???
Both. The 1300 used the Ducelier distributor with vacuum retard. The 1500s had a different Bosch distributor for carb and FI.

Humm, my '79 has a carb but the same electronic Bosch ignition as my later FI Bertone's. However I don't recall if the advance curve is different. Do you happen to have any additional details on that?

Humm, my '79 has a carb but the same electronic Bosch ignition as my later FI Bertone's. However I don't recall if the advance curve is different. Do you happen to have any additional details on that?
They have different part numbers. I think they were posted here at one time.

I have the manuals but am lazy. @Brad Garska provided images in the thread two years ago documenting the differences:
D28FADA6-7499-4A7B-99E7-6DC84C548B4A.png
7E6AB152-5511-4810-AFBB-4BB5D24F00C9.png

Good evening. During the rebuild of my 1979 X (carb), the engine did a mild back flip off my low, wheeled cart. I, sort of, broke its fall with my hand, resulting in a few knarly cuts from the spark plugs. Luckily, and unluckily, new filter crushed, distributor cap destroyed and bent the shaft on the distributor. I purchased a Vick replacement, which fits horribly and requires removing or cutting through the access panel. Looking at a distributor on Ebay. The seller, a junkyard, has no pic posted, won't post one until I buy, listed as fitting a 1982 (FI). Wondering if this might fit my X. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
You might post in the for sale/wanted forum about wanting a new distributor.

Thanks all for the responses and searches. Met a fine gentleman from the Acton, Cali area who had a crashed car he harvested the distributor from. He asked a fair price for it and it has now been transplanted. The next trick will be getting my money back from Vick! Maybe a credit on a new tank and sender? ;) Just returned from Concorso Italiano. At least 7 excellent X1/9's on hand.

The next trick will be getting my money back from Vick! Maybe a credit on a new tank and sender?
Before you ask that vendor for a new tank, check out this thread discussing how they do not fit correctly:

And there was this related discussion about it:

Before you ask that vendor for a new tank, check out this thread discussing how they do not fit correctly:

And there was this related discussion about it:
Thanks for the heads up. I appreciate it.

Back