X1/9 style/design custom modifications

By the way Alain, I really like the idea of your proposed one-piece aluminum rear hatch. Both of the stock lids (engine and trunk) are very heavy. And on a track car aren't necessary for the same functions as on a street car. This also allows for design improvements, like lots of hot air ventilation from the engine bay, the rear spoiler as you described, and others. :)

Regarding rear spoilers and my earlier comments, I believe the whole 'drag vs downforce' concept is why modern spoilers have gone to the "blade" wing style. Apparently they offer increased downforce with less drag. But in my opinion they just don't fit a vintage car's styling.
The rear aluminium full-length cover is now on the car but not finalized. The final shape of rear edge with protective white film is still to be decided. I may very well go to the "thin lip" mentioned by Dr. Jeff. The opening on top of the engine is not finalized either but first runs in pretty hot weather did not result an increased engine temperature. Once it's finished, I'll post photos and details. As for the weight saving compared to the standard covers, it is pretty substantial.
20230711_093828.jpg
20230710_132420.jpg

Love the single boot. engine cover idea. Can't wait to see it finished. Best of luck with it.

I always liked the idea of a transparent section to show off the engine. As long as your engine looks tidy (I am working on that part myself still).

Have you thought about louvers to help the hot air escape?

Love the single boot. engine cover idea. Can't wait to see it finished. Best of luck with it.

I always liked the idea of a transparent section to show off the engine. As long as your engine looks tidy (I am working on that part myself still).

Have you thought about louvers to help the hot air escape?
Louvers, yes, as a matter of fact, I'm looking for ways to make louvers over the rear trunk area. I have removed the plate separating engine compartment from the trunk, so the heat from the engine moves to the rear but has no where to go. Louvers would take care of that. However, making louvers does not look like an easy operation. Any advice will be appreciated.

Any advice will be appreciated.
Louvers are not an easy operation, either in terms of lay-out, and in producing them. They are usually done on a louver press. There are individual dies depending on the size and shape of the louver. In the US there are still a few old school hot rod types that still do this work and the cost is usually between $2-$4 per louver. Not sure what resources are available up North, but even in the States it is becoming very difficult to find a shop that does this anymore. You can try using the search engine on The HAMB to see what comes up:

If you don't mind some fab work, I'm pretty sure this ebay seller can make you whatever panel size you might need too.

Last edited:
I have removed the plate separating engine compartment from the trunk, so the heat from the engine moves to the rear but has no where to go. Louvers would take care of that. However, making louvers does not look like an easy operation. Any advice will be appreciated.
For my "Turbo X" build I also removed the partition in between the engine bay and trunk, for heat to escape rearward. To give the hot air a exit point I cut out a couple areas on the rear taillight panel and replaced them with mesh grills. Like on the Abarth X, some Ferraris and other production cars.

It is still under construction in this pic, and the upper grill and custom taillights are not installed. It doesn't not need to be as extensive as I've done (I tend to over do things):
5006 - Copy.JPG

I too removed the panel between the exhaust chamber and the rear trunk but I also have the panel between the rear trunk and the engine bay removed so any exhaust heat can vent through the engine cover.

IMG_0894[2].JPG

Or you can drill "cooling" holes in the rear panel like I did with my previous redX
IMG_0396[1].JPG

I too removed the panel between the exhaust chamber and the rear trunk but I also have the panel between the rear trunk and the engine bay removed
You reminded me there are actually two panels around the rear bulkhead area - above and below the trunk floor. I should have been more clear, I too have removed both of them. ;) Although one layer of the trunk floor itself (the more structural one) is being retained to allow mounting of a couple components.

For my "Turbo X" build I also removed the partition in between the engine bay and trunk, for heat to escape rearward. To give the hot air a exit point I cut out a couple areas on the rear taillight panel and replaced them with mesh grills. Like on the Abarth X, some Ferraris and other production cars.

It is still under construction in this pic, and the upper grill and custom taillights are not installed. It doesn't not need to be as extensive as I've done (I tend to over do things):
View attachment 75276
I've thought of using the taillight location as air exhaust and install round taillights instead. I'm also investigating cutting louvers on the aluminium cover I made, over the trunk area.

I too removed the panel between the exhaust chamber and the rear trunk but I also have the panel between the rear trunk and the engine bay removed so any exhaust heat can vent through the engine cover.

View attachment 75279

Or you can drill "cooling" holes in the rear panel like I did with my previous redX
View attachment 75280
Although I am reluctant to do any cutting, I do like your solution for exhausting hot engine air. I also looks pretty good. More food for thought. Thanks

You could also lift the rear of the rear trunk lid a bit and remove the trunk lid seal to let hot air out without having to resort to metal work. There is an Abarth legacy to raised rear lids!

I love the Muira. This recreated Jota is fine except for that wing. Even if it needed the downforce there had to be a better way.
Actually, the need is to eliminate lift. The body shape is a wing and the car tends to lift up in the front at high speed. I had a college roommate whose dad had a SV. My other roommate’s dad was the head of SCRAMP so we got to do a few laps around Laguna Seca. This was before they added the infield portion of the track. Got sporty on the high speed portions.

You could also lift the rear of the rear trunk lid a bit and remove the trunk lid seal to let hot air out without having to resort to metal work. There is an Abarth legacy to raised rear lids!
I did lift the lid a couple of time when racing. A-la-Abarth, as you say. Here's my "Red Scorpion" with raised lid and my more recent Smurf...with 2 German copycats :)

Attachments

• 20210620_130431.jpg
    20210620_130431.jpg
    459.9 KB · Views: 65
  • !cid_ii_1400e8c5fd0bce9d.jpg
    !cid_ii_1400e8c5fd0bce9d.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 67
Somewhere in this thread we discussed paint schemes and a 70's-80's trend with three-color stripes. It was very popular with the custom van scene back then. One of the most common combinations was a red / orange / yellow stripe....something like this:
e4ee.png

Typically the design kicked up toward the rear of the vehicle:
this-1977-dodge-tradesman-van-restomod-will-get-you-in-the-party-mood-215375-7.jpg

The other day I saw a early model SUV in a parking lot with this style graphic. The vehicle had been restored and painted black with the red / orange / yellow stripes kicking up that way. A very retro design that brought back memories. :)

Another throwback to the 70's-80's era of automotive culture. 👍

Heretic X1/9 hacker again. Not sure if this has been covered in this thread, but a different rear deck subject here. My older sister dated a Fiat service tech when the X1/9 debuted in 1972-ish, and he would come by with different Eckses from the dealership. I’ve only recently come to really appreciate the X’s wedge era design, I wasn’t a huge fan when it first came out. The usual reasons – the bumpers, the front end lifted to meet the bumper height reqs, the resultant empty front wheel well (was the rear raised as well?), the anemic 13s, and the luggage rack. Ugh. But the thing that got me the most was the downward sloping rear deck. To my eyes the design is stellar from nose to the trailing edge of the B pillar but that rear deck makes it look like a scared little dog.

To that, here are some A/B pics of an upward sloping rear deck. I plan on incorporating this on my build. Thoughts?

(The blue with the bronze wheels. Be still my heart…)
1701538422427.png
1701538114481.png

1701538154800.png
1701538194102.png

1701538216045.png
1701538295666.png

Last edited:
Back