X1/9 style/design custom modifications

Heres the wing somewhat to scale with the X. I think the B pillar rake and the wing rake clash too much

Attachments

• x40.jpg
    x40.jpg
    272.2 KB · Views: 145
Heres the wing somewhat to scale with the X. I think the B pillar rake and the wing rake clash too much
Maybe the rake of the wing could be played with to make it clash less with the targa bar?

If possible try it on a Dallara bodied X.

Nice work. I can see it more clearly now & think this has merit. I agree with Dr Jeff about matching the targa bar.

I think it wouldn’t look good if it was identical to the targa bar either.

don’t think this car was meant to have a wing. Although I think the wings with endcaps look better

I think it wouldn’t look good if it was identical to the targa bar either.

don’t think this car was meant to have a wing. Although I think the wings with endcaps look better
I agree, to me most 70's designed cars would not have a "wing", instead they'd usually have a "ducktail" spoiler. Although that's about the time this changed as some wings started to show up; however those were not the modern style wings we see today. The Dallara version of X had a wing, but the entire body was restyled to a much higher performance level that better matches the need for a wing. Frankly I'm not a huge fan of it still. But I should qualify my comments by saying this refers to a "street" car and not a purpose built "track" car. Especially one with a engine swap where the performance level requires the added downforce of a wing. So it all depends on the intended use, need, and overall style of the particular X. That's why earlier I said the F40 wing might work on a X with a heavily modified body, in lieu of the more modern wing.....maybe. :)

I honestly have never been a fan of the F40, because of that wing. It is very identifiable and I definitely respect it, I can see why people do like it and in all honesty it's not as bad on the X as I thought it would. I really think it's as attractive on the X as it is on the F40. Maybe shaped a little better but I can see someone doing it now.

Was asked to post here. I didn't before because I don't have pics and didn't want to deal with the no pics it didn't happen. It did. Mid 90s. 79 x19. I wanted a full convertible. I found out later there was a "little sister" convertible kit but I did this one my self. I worked at Hot Topps In the late 80s and they made convertible truck kits so I figured I knew what to do.
So I cut the targa bar, created an X bracing on the firewall, fiberglassed up the holes cutting the targa left. Now to make it a convertible rather than just tip less, I had a vinyl back made with a window in it. It connected to the back of the car with a channel on the car and a nylon bar sewn in the top with a bit extra that would velcro to the current rubber that seals the engine compartment. Sides snapped on the place where I cut the targa. Was attached to the underside of the targa with snaps (strength and velcro to seal)
Here is where it was cheap but worked.i used 2x3/4 flange bolted to the rear shelf to hold pipes that went to flanges connected to the targa top. I took the thread out of the top flanges so they would slip in.
Top off, targa was stowed where it normally is. The pipes were unscrewed and on the floor behind the seats. The top itself just was unsnapped from the sides and tucked behind the seats. It was intended to Have the top to be slipped off but the channel/nylon was pretty tight so tucking behind the seat worked. Wasn't pretty, but it worked.

Wish I had pictures but I don't even know if I owned a camera.

Odie

Searched for little sister, found a few pics here
And much more variety

Was asked to post here. I didn't before because I don't have pics and didn't want to deal with the no pics it didn't happen. It did. Mid 90s. 79 x19. I wanted a full convertible. I found out later there was a "little sister" convertible kit but I did this one my self. I worked at Hot Topps In the late 80s and they made convertible truck kits so I figured I knew what to do.
So I cut the targa bar, created an X bracing on the firewall, fiberglassed up the holes cutting the targa left. Now to make it a convertible rather than just tip less, I had a vinyl back made with a window in it. It connected to the back of the car with a channel on the car and a nylon bar sewn in the top with a bit extra that would velcro to the current rubber that seals the engine compartment. Sides snapped on the place where I cut the targa. Was attached to the underside of the targa with snaps (strength and velcro to seal)
Here is where it was cheap but worked.i used 2x3/4 flange bolted to the rear shelf to hold pipes that went to flanges connected to the targa top. I took the thread out of the top flanges so they would slip in.
Top off, targa was stowed where it normally is. The pipes were unscrewed and on the floor behind the seats. The top itself just was unsnapped from the sides and tucked behind the seats. It was intended to Have the top to be slipped off but the channel/nylon was pretty tight so tucking behind the seat worked. Wasn't pretty, but it worked.

Wish I had pictures but I don't even know if I owned a camera.

Odie
I'm the one that requested Odie to post about his convertible conversion. Thank you Odie.

I recalled in the past you'd mentioned working for Hot Tops, which I remember from the mini truck days. So I was curious what you built. And yes, I was hoping you had pics. :D But I get the jest of what you did from your description. To be honest I did not recall the "Little Sister" X's. The links from @Jefco have some interesting pics. Thanks to both of you for posting.

I can't find the photo taken in ~1989, but we had a spare X that we'd stripped of useful parts so I went at it with a sawzall. Chopped off the roll hoop and set it on the trunk, backwards for a pseudo F40 wing. Here's a really quick and dirty photoshop of what it looked like:
1685558046436.png

I can't find the photo taken in ~1989, but we had a spare X that we'd stripped of useful parts so I went at it with a sawzall. Chopped off the roll hoop and set it on the trunk, backwards for a pseudo F40 wing. Here's a really quick and dirty photoshop of what it looked like:
View attachment 73886
The targa bar actually makes a great rear wing. :) Excellent job with the photoshopping.

Well that looks hideous.

Every time I see a wing or even a duck tail, I think to myself, "There is another future late 50s finned car in the making for future generations who will wonder what the heck they were thinking." Just my reaction.

right on Doc.

And how about a shout out to actual colors? Today something like 75% of new cars are white, black, gray or silver.
For X1/9s it's more like 75% are NOT those "colors".

In '79 there were even two freaking shades of blue!
And no white ;)

1685653783023.png

when we ordered our 2021 BMW i3 I just had to go for the funkiest color they offered: "Galvanic Gold"
285132383_10220678892457890_7431537802964461201_n.jpg

Last edited:
You just reminded me of a car I saw on the road the other day. It was a newer VW Touareg in a color I hadn't noticed before. Sort of a combination of gold, orange, red, and bronze (I'm not very artistic so not able to offer better descriptors), depending on how the sunlight hit it. And a nice metallic effect. Hard to tell by the online pics if this is the same as what I saw, but I believe it is called "habanero orange" :
volkswagen-suvs.jpg

Although I don't really care for bright orange on cars, I thought this color might look good on a X1/9 because it is much richer looking than regular orange.

You just reminded me of a car I saw on the road the other day. It was a newer VW Touareg in a color I hadn't noticed before. Sort of a combination of gold, orange, red, and bronze (I'm not very artistic so not able to offer better descriptors), depending on how the sunlight hit it. And a nice metallic effect. Hard to tell by the online pics if this is the same as what I saw, but I believe it is called "habanero orange" :
View attachment 73940
Although I don't really care for bright orange on cars, I thought this color might look good on a X1/9 because it is much richer looking than regular orange.
Tiguan for the record. VW does OK with the colors they offer. Unfortunately they tend to lack a level of vibrancy which makes them just a bit flat.

Agree it would look good on an X.

Last edited:
Back