X1/9 style/design custom modifications

Today I was reviewing something on another forum (different make of vehicle) before visiting Xweb. And as I read a current Xweb discussion on the topic of power windows, the thought occurred to me. The other make of 70-80's Euro sports car has those "pop-out" vent (quarter) windows. You know, the triangle ones on the doors ahead of the main side glass, that have a latch and pivot so you can twist them open. I've always thought they were a pretty cool design from the 60-70's era. They serve a couple of functions, aside from their "look". In the partially open position they either work like wind deflectors if the main side windows are down or like an exhaust vent if the side windows are up. And with them in the fully open position they act like scoops to feed in a nice flow of air that can be aimed directly at the occupant(s) or indirectly into the cabin. So how about a custom modification to the X's quarter windows to make them "pop-out"? The frames and seals need to be modified, but perhaps the units from another model of car could be used as the basis for that. Naturally this will not work on the later X's with mirrors mounted through that glass. Combined with the Targa top it would allow great control of the airflow inside the cabin. And I think it would look really cool. Keep in mind this thread is titled "style/design custom modifications".

Back in the day, when seemingly everybody smoked, their main function was to be able to flick the ciggie ash out of the car without it being blown back in. Now we don't smoke the manufacturers see no point in fitting them 😁

Ya, I've heard them referred to as "smakers windows". But they serve a very practical purpose as well; I've always know them as "vent windows".

How about a removable or tilt-open or powered drop-down rear window?

Interesting fact about the vent windows on my 128 sedans. Due to the aerodynamics of the body, no air flows anywhere near the vents and you can open them and swing them as far as they go and they direct absolutely no air into the car.

I knew a guy who was a cable splicer and mid winter had run the cable into his van. Unfortunately he ran one in the "no draft" window as we used to call them and one in the rolled down window. Rather than redo the splice he cut the divider with a hack saw.

The Roadster.

We have mentioned them before, but I've been giving it more thought. The idea of a true "open top" car (not a convertible or targa, but one with NO top) is nothing new. However I've noticed recently the concept car world has put them back in vogue. And I wonder how the X might look with a fully customized body in a roadster design.

Here's a collection of roadster pics for inspiration:
Most-Expensive-Lamborghinis-Aventador-J.jpg

mclaren-elva-equinox.jpg

Ferrari-Pininfarina-Sergo-Roadster.jpg

bugatti-veyron-barchetta-concept_100750114.jpg

ferrari_monza_sp1sp2_27.jpg

bb9be333052523.569e41d147c1d.jpg

a72fb7c08f174ce1aca6176b7eea29ed-700.jpg

68037c9da3d770ad0c53eb07660396a3.jpg

5dcc32c33afd3753b772f9ec.png

aston_martin_v12_speedster_2021_0000.jpg

https___hypebeast.com_image_2020_11_porsche-unseen-concept-cars-911-macan-boxster-le-mans-litt...jpg

ny15_r104_001.jpg

Porsche-Vision-Spyder-1024x555.jpg

546658186da811735113e6eb.jpg

2009-mazda-mx-5-superlight-concept-01.jpg

I've always been fascinated by this design. Probably started when I was too young to buy a decent Alfa Spider so found one in need of much repair, including the missing convertible top. I was only able to afford getting it running and driving so it never got that top. Unfortunately the cut down windshield also did not happen, as much as I wanted it. Ever since I've considered building a true, no compromised roadster. Not only a chopped windscreen, but no side or rear glass and perhaps even no doors (solid body sides) to go with the lack of a top.

Variants of this concept were discussed in this thread: https://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/the-toad-aka-todeskart-99-base-boxster.39753/

Not to be confused with "track only" race cars, like the one below. Although they are similar in some ways, I'm talking about a more finished vehicle for the street only. More of a "style" design study than functional build. Lots of custom body mods rather than just stripped. Typical X1/9 race car:
download.jpg

Maybe even a nod to the "original" concept for the X1/9?
Autobianchi_Runabout.jpg

Thoughts regarding the X as a roadster?

Unless you want to drive around with a motorcycle helmet, you will need a wind deflector to get the air over your forehead. I think a "speedster" type design will make more sense.

Unless you want to drive around with a motorcycle helmet, you will need a wind deflector to get the air over your forehead. I think a "speedster" type design will make more sense.
Agreed, the "speedster" style of windscreen is what I prefer. I noticed a lot of the current batch of 'concept' roadsters have either a very small windscreen or none at all. I'm sure that is just part of the "wow" factor for a show-only car.

Oddly the sample photo of the VW Golf GTI Roadster concept is actually fairly close to what I'd imagine for the X body. Not only is it small and proportioned a bit like the X, but the "rollbar" on it is quite similar to the X's targa bar. I like the windscreen on it, including the way it wraps around to the sides. There were a couple of old Ferraris and race cars that did variations of that:
Monterey 09 079.JPG

Imperial Palace LV 1.jpg

4315e16d6d5bb97e2110982af6a488fc.jpg

Not an X, but this looks to be some sort of custom front fascia on a 308 GT4. It seems fairly well-executed, though not to my taste. I prefer the original underbite look.

1617986833481.png

Not an X, but this looks to be some sort of custom front fascia on a 308 GT4. It seems fairly well-executed, though not to my taste. I prefer the original underbite look.

View attachment 45923
From this view that looks a lot like one of the other 308 variant (GTO) noses. I always liked the GT4 model.

I recall the very first time I saw a European sports car with the "underbite", "slackjaw" styling. I did not care for it at all. I was very young at that time, with little education about things like aerodynamics or such, but it just seemed to be working in the opposite direction of what I would consider desirable in performance terms; creating a "lift" rather than "downforce" at the nose, and allowing a lot of turbulent air to flow under the car. Just based on what I'd read in magazines back then I thought it was a bad design for that 'performance' reason, so I formed a negative view of it from a styling perspective. That view has stuck with me to this day.

GTO aftermarket apron for a standard 308, and the GTO:
007.jpg

019.jpg

Back