X1/9 style/design custom modifications

HI Joe,
Do you know where to purchase those fender flares ?

Thanks

Those were my favorites when I was looking around prior to settling on Dallara body

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220102-142257_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220102-142257_Samsung Internet.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 135
HI Joe,
Do you know where to purchase those fender flares ?

Thanks

Hi

It would be better to post in the thread, quoting my post - then I would have the context for the question. I don't know from the screenshot which ones I'm referencing in my comments

Hussein

Interesting video. Styling is always subjective but those variants all confirmed that I really like what I have done to the styling of my X.
The styling of the X is edgy and hard to improve. Most attempts make it look worse...my opinion.

Too much photoshop in that vid. I think many of the cars would have looked better in actuality but I guess people really hate bumpers on the X!

summary of this thread has already been made in 2007

I like some of the mods done on some of those X's. As Carl says it is subjective.

One feature that kept standing out to me on several of them is the enlarged side scoops. There's a couple that I really like the styling. Plus they should have a functional benefit.

Rear spoiler / wing.

As far back as page 1 we discussed rear spoilers for the X. Plus additional comments throughout this thread. Most of it has been on the "ducktail" type spoiler. The Dallara had a "wing" style on it and a couple members have installed similar wings. However one particular wing style I don't recall being mentioned is like the one on the Ferrari F40.

In some basic forms the X's overall shape isn't too far removed from the F40.
images.jpg
x19-side.jpg

So the F40's general rear wing design might work on the X? I found pics of a few versions of it but these show the two (tall and short) ones I'm referring to:
art-mg-ferrarif40a.jpg

skxcUAD.jpg

Last edited:
That tall design is interesting.... I may mock one up with cardboard to see how it looks.
I made a couple small edits to my last post. But here's a couple more views of the tall version. I believe that was the standard edition for most production models.

075_wing_wednesday.jpg
92696-000_1024x768.jpg
ferrari_f40.png
Ferrari-F40-1987-1600-10.jpg

The F40 has always been one of my favorite Ferrari models.

I always thought it was a bit angular which I have not really been a fan of so I'm not sure how it would work on the X. The X is a quite angular car though so it may look better than on the F40. I think the F40 looks closer to a MR2 than an X, the front end even a Fiero. I have been stuck on the Forza wing which is very similar to a lot on the first page but I really like the stand offs on the Forza interpretation. I'd HAVE to find something like those if I were to go that route. This is pretty understated in comparison with an F40 style wing, they are on complete different spectrums and to compare them seems almost silly but I can appreciate both! I may actually have some ridged foam to mock one up..... Still a bit swamped with the Microsquirt atm but maybe tomorrow I'll take 5 minutes and try, supposed to rain anyhow.

Should the wing come up from the 1/4s as it does on the Ferrari? If so it will interfere with the trunk, if not then it would lose something I think.... Maybe mated to the trunk but odd set to appear to come off the 1/4s?
FORZA.jpg

Last edited:
I always thought it was a bit angular which I have not really been a fan of so I'm not sure how it would work on the X. The X is a quite angular car though so it may look better than on the F40. I think the F40 looks closer to a MR2 than an X, the front end even a Fiero. I have been stuck on the Forza wing which is very similar to a lot on the first page but I really like the stand offs on the Forza interpretation. I'd HAVE to find something like those if I were to go that route. This is pretty understated in comparison with an F40 style wing, they are on complete different spectrums and to compare them seems almost silly but I can appreciate both! I may actually have some ridged foam to mock one up..... Still a bit swamped with the Microsquirt atm but maybe tomorrow I'll take 5 minutes and try, supposed to rain anyhow.

Should the wing come up from the 1/4s as it does on the Ferrari? If so it will interfere with the trunk, if not then it would lose something I think.... Maybe mated to the trunk but odd set to appear to come off the 1/4s?
View attachment 65172
I'm with you, I like both of these styles of rear spoilers...depending on the application. The one in the pic you posted (black and orange X) is what I plan to make for one of mine with stock fenders. I think the F40 style wing would only work with a more highly modified body - wide flares and such. In which case the side/end mounts would be further out due to wider quarter panels. So trunk lid clearance might be an issue as you say.

I think the F40 looks closer to a MR2 than an X, the front end even a Fiero.
I meant to also say I agree with this statement. I wasn't implying the X looks like a F40, just saying the general shape might lend to the same style rear wing. ;) Maybe on something like a Dallara bodied X? Try photoshopping that to see how it looks.

I meant to also say I agree with this statement. I wasn't implying the X looks like a F40, just saying the general shape might lend to the same style rear wing. ;) Maybe on something like a Dallara bodied X? Try photoshopping that to see how it looks.
For sure, I get that. Looking at my extremely crude paint rendition, it actually looks better than I expected. I think maybe it should be taller, in line with the roof... Still I didn't have high hopes but.... maybe it looks a wee bit like a teeny Superbird LOL!

AB62300A-15EC-4477-86F4-8D03C9F0D17E.jpeg

You might be able to come up with something like the NSX where the movable deck lid has the spoiler and yet it appears to auto be connected to the fenders.

I agree that taller and more toward roof height would look better.

Back