Your trivia contest for the day..

rx1900

1981 X1/9
Yeah.....I remember this from a Car & Driver cover way back.

Can anyone else put a name to it ?

mystery car.jpg

If you can you must be old like me.....

Or we can do a Google Image search. :D Cheating right? I will PM my guess.

Or we can do a Google Image search. :D Cheating right? I will PM my guess.

Yes....doing a google image search is clever....but still cheating...

Brubaker Box

Know it well.

Of course it is Karl...

Figured it would have been you that got the answer. Was probably in the lobby of one of those California art design schools you went to.....

I could see you driving one.....

This one is on Craigslist - but not for sale:
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/bar/d/collector-cars-for-trade/6831360420.html

Seller also has a rather tasty looking - but rather pricey - Fiat 850 Coupe. And that Alfa show car replica looks pretty cool....

I recall several versions of the same VW based 'kit-car' van theme, with various names.

Also reminds me of the George Barris "Super Van"...

supervan.png

Okay Karl....if you're so smart.....what is this ?? Daniel and Yves I'm sure you know (and let us know if you do) but dont spoil the fun for Karl.

mystery  car 2.jpg

mystery car 2-2.jpg

Well, it's on my wish list. I won't say the name to finish the game, but it was made in Québec in a limited number with Renault parts. It was supposed to be a competition to the dominant affordable sports car of the era, namely the Lotus Europa.

The Renault inspiration was clear... 3 bolts wheels!

Well, it's on my wish list. I won't say the name to finish the game, but it was made in Québec in a limited number with Renault parts. It was supposed to be a competition to the dominant affordable sports car of the era, namely the Lotus Europa.

The Renault inspiration was clear... 3 bolts wheels!

C'est vrai, mon ami !!!

Guess i should have posted this trois journees ago eh ??

thanks for the PM. you are right, I was not right :) but dang they are close in looks, shape, size, etc.. I had a friend who had the one I was thinking about.

Odie

Because if I had have posted it then it would have been "Just ******* ***** ****** "

Ah......just go ask The Bangles........get it now ??

I was thinking it's a "Puma" kit car. But after a closer look it is not. The Puma was VW beetle based, made in Brazil. The two appear to be clones, I wonder which one came first?
Puma:

1.JPG

No....it's not a Puma. And for sure no relation to it at all.

And the car in question was a genuine production car - not a kit car...

puma was actually a "real" car first. then became a kit car.

Puma is a sports car manufacturer based in South Africa. Puma was originally based in Brazil where it built cars, from 1964 until roughly 1995, and trucks, from 1978 to 1999. The company then re-opened in South Africa in 2013 under the name of Puma Automobiles. Puma Automobiles manufactures the Puma 52 (made especially for racing tracks) and the Puma GT 2.4 Lumimari.

In Brazil, Puma sourced engines from DKW (3 cylinders), Volkswagen (4 cylinders) and General Motors (4 and 6 cylinder) and mounted them on their own chassis and fiberglass bodies. A small number of cars were exported to US markets during the 1970s to the 1980s,[citation needed] but a more cost effective kit car option was responsible for the majority of US imports. The kit car variant was a complete car exported without the front suspension, transaxle, engine, wheels, and tires. The buyer could purchase the components from a Puma North American distributor or supply their own. Since it had less restrictive regulations, a greater number of complete cars were exported to buyers in Canada.

Odie

Back