Your trivia contest for the day..

I kept thinking Citroen 2CV, but only found
MG-EX234.jpg
That caught my eye, no not Citroen...

So you and Tom Ginefra arrived at the same place at nearly the same time. You are the more explicitly correct. Nice job both of you.

It is the Peugeot 104 Peugette. It was a concept sports car based on the new 104 using the same body panels for each door, for the front and rear decks with the same bumper front and rear to keep the tooling cost and vehicle cost low for a low volume vehicle.

This was one of the earliest examples of product design applied to an automobile that I am aware of, most cars to this point were clearly styled rather than conceptualized as a series of rationalized parts. It is one of the things that got me into design back in the day. It is from 1976 and was intended as a personal sports car based on simple mechanicals that could also have a racing series using the exact same vehicle with a simple monoposto addition to the cockpit.

In some ways this is the rat rod of sporting cars that Carl seems to be yearning for.

View attachment 20273

View attachment 20272 View attachment 20274 View attachment 20275 View attachment 20276 View attachment 20277 View attachment 20278 View attachment 20279

Very cool. Thanks for posting it. Even as a concept car there was a lot of rational thought put into it. Thinking back...the 104 would have been an ideal basis for this. As i recall, they had an inline 4...but the engine was canted back to almost horizontal. Which would have allowed the low hoodline.

Tricky. I have seen those rims and it will come to me. The early Dauphin and Renault 4CV used a rim like that but with 5 lugs at the periphery of the drum brake. VW used a large diameter bolt circle on the early cars but not that big and they were always 15s versus the 13” rims depicted there. I don’t have it yet but I will churn on this a bit. Thanks :)

Yeah...rather strange wheel design. Although...it would certainly be a very strong and light wheel. But i guess could only be used with drum brakes all round. Dont churn on it too much...but i will tell you it is certainly not a rare car. They were made well into the 90's with production figures well into 7 figures. Here is an engine bay shot. That should give it to you.

engine bay.jpg

I kept thinking Citroen 2CV, but only found
View attachment 20280
That caught my eye, no not Citroen...

Hmmm.....dont recognize this car either as a production car. But the RHD would indicate British, Japanese, or Aussie origins. I think...i see an MG badge in the grill, and the windshield and vent windows kinda look MGB to me....so I'll guess it is a re-styling exercise or perhaps a kit car venture based on that. And ugly choice of wheels.....

Last edited:
Yeah Jefco...I should have got that better....yeah, looking again you can kinda see hints of Fiat 124 Spider and Alfa Spider - both Pininfarina designs.

And Karl...dont churn on that wheel too much. I'll just give you the answer:

putin 2.jpg

If it was good enough for that guy......

Yeah Jefco...I should have got that better....yeah, looking again you can kinda see hints of Fiat 124 Spider and Alfa Spider - both Pininfarina designs.

And Karl...dont churn on that wheel too much. I'll just give you the answer:

View attachment 20299

If it was good enough for that guy......

ouch ZAZ 968 Thanks

The early Dauphin and Renault 4CV used a rim like that but with 5 lugs at the periphery of the drum brake.
Our Dauphine was a '63, they were already 3-lug by then; I don't remember what the brakes were, but our (replacement) '70 R-10 had 4 wheel disc brakes (as my '70 Volvo does), still with 3 lugs. They were studs and unusual lug nuts with captive half-round washers where they met the wheel.

Back