What did you do to your X1/9 today ?

Actually I was the one that suggested that may be why the lights were acting that way. I'm not sure I saw any follow up on that thread after that, so I don't know if that was the case or not. Where there more postings to give any answers?
I thought there was but I don't remember what thread it was.

Started my front bushing replacement (thanks rx1900). Only did the radius rods since this was an easy "after work" job. Surprisingly, only 1 side was toast. Maybe finish the rest this weekend.

Finished up some mods to the center console. Slide out storage box toward the top (helps to hide contraband from unwanted eyes), below that are the only remaining major control switches (headlights, dash dimmer, and interior cabin lights), there's a tiny LED light (connected to the new interior cabin lights) inside the original lower storage area (can't see that area are very well in these pics), and a pair of USB power jacks at the very bottom corners below the shifter boot (still need to make that boot).

I wired the interior lights to the three position switch; position #1 = manual override "off" for all interior lights (for when you come home very late at night and are trying to not wake her up), position #2 = the interior lights are controlled automatically by the door switches, and position #3 = manual override "on" ( to see inside at night while driving). The major interior lights are now LEDs located along the bottom edge of the dash facing toward the footwells.

View attachment 50091View attachment 50092

I've also made new side covers to replace the original ones, but still need to cover them with the new interior materials. Haven't decided on which materials to use where yet. The interior will have two tone medium grey and dark silver coverings, with some red accents and things like the dash and console will be black. Not sure how the center console side covers will fall into that mix until I see some of it come together.

Speaking of those side covers. All of mine tended to be very twisted, warped and falling apart. Plus the padding under the vinyl is very thick. The new custom covers (not shown) are much flatter and tuck in closer to the center tunnel to allow a tiny bit more leg room.

I've also reconfigured the dash center control panel and the instrument cluster, plus repaired and modified the glovebox. Currently in the process of refinishing all that before taking any pics.
Very nice Dr. jeff, I would be careful about mounting the USB facing up, dirt and debris can accumulate in the USB causing plug to not connect properly. Mounting them on a vertical or angled surface might provide a more trouble free location.

Neither do I.
Search "LED exterior light swap phenomena". You posted the "Insert key switch theory" which was the last post. Still sounds plausible depending on how the switch is designed and wired. Maybe someone should test the theory by unplugging the two wires.

Very nice Dr. jeff, I would be careful about mounting the USB facing up, dirt and debris can accumulate in the USB causing plug to not connect properly. Mounting them on a vertical or angled surface might provide a more trouble free location.
Agree completely. ;)

Originally I intended to mount them up on the vertical portion, above the switches. But the ones I have would not clear things behind there. That's a odd area due to the former ashtray mounting there. I considered a couple of other possible locations, but decided since I drive the X so little and use USB chargers even less, it probably doesn't matter. Really I should have left them off....and I still might make a new cover without them.

Agree completely. ;)

Originally I intended to mount them up on the vertical portion, above the switches. But the ones I have would not clear things behind there. That's a odd area due to the former ashtray mounting there. I considered a couple of other possible locations, but decided since I drive the X so little and use USB chargers even less, it probably doesn't matter. Really I should have left them off....and I still might make a new cover without them.
I hear what you are saying. Pick up some of these should keep you relatively clean. Plus as you lose them you have 18 spares ;-)

I hear what you are saying. Pick up some of these should keep you relatively clean. Plus as you lose them you have 18 spares ;-)

Thanks, those are cool. I wondered if such a thing existed but hadn't looked. :)

Checked on my car at the auto body shop. Rust work is being done. Doors are off the car and grinding being done. Metal being lined up for surgery. Car hasn’t been out of my sight for 5 years so this is a big step for me. LOL.

Attachments

• 63B3A0FA-42B4-4A1D-8D20-E6126382DE4C.jpeg
    63B3A0FA-42B4-4A1D-8D20-E6126382DE4C.jpeg
    289.6 KB · Views: 119
  • 155E7CFD-8EE1-4993-B4D4-636165DB13B8.jpeg
    155E7CFD-8EE1-4993-B4D4-636165DB13B8.jpeg
    158.6 KB · Views: 107
  • 2E747641-65A3-4504-B494-B60A4514BF99.jpeg
    2E747641-65A3-4504-B494-B60A4514BF99.jpeg
    250.1 KB · Views: 108
Went to a car meeting at the city center today. As usual packed with American cars from the mid/late fifties and just a few Italian cars whereof 6 Fiat: 1500, 127, 20V Coupé, Topolino, and a model I didn't recognize. My 1984 Bertone was the only X. I got lots of questions about the Fiat/Bertone relationship and the car in general. I also had a long discussion about cooling issues with a Fiero owner. -He liked my bonnet fan setup and will do the same.
IMG_20210803_201850.jpg

Went to a car meeting at the city center today. As usual packed with American cars from the mid/late fifties and just a few Italian cars whereof 6 Fiat: 1500, 127, 20V Coupé, Topolino, and a model I didn't recognize. My 1984 Bertone was the only X. I got lots of questions about the Fiat/Bertone relationship and the car in general. I also had a long discussion about cooling issues with a Fiero owner. -He liked my bonnet fan setup and will do the same.
View attachment 50351
Beautiful setting and lots of nice cars. But I will never understand the European's attraction for crappy American cars. :rolleyes:

I took my 79 X1/9 to a small European car show today, it was the only one amongst the Ferrari's, Lotus's, Aston Martin's, etc but it still held it's own. People love older classic cars and the X1/9 is definitely that!
IMG_20180721_120822.jpg

Full fitting of all the new brackets and Ansa system. Fits nicely with just a little bit of adjustment needed. Thanks to the members who helped with parts so I could mount this thing.
IMG_6723.jpg

Full fitting of all the new brackets and Ansa system. Fits nicely with just a little bit of adjustment needed. Thanks to the members who helped with parts so I could mount this thing.
View attachment 50596
To your knowledge, were the Ansa exhaust pipe outlets ever designed to be angled more parallel to the ground, or is this picture the way they were always designed?

To your knowledge, were the Ansa exhaust pipe outlets ever designed to be angled more parallel to the ground, or is this picture the way they were always designed?
This is the second Ansa set-up I have had, the other on a spider. That one was a single sided pipe, but it also angled up. Seems like a styling thing they did. I did have a dual exhaust on my '79 back in the day, and it stuck straight out. I do not recall what the brand was. Based on how a little pipe was recessed into the larger diameter chrome tip, I'm leaning toward an Ansa product also. Poor pic...

IMG_3337 - Version 2.jpg

Last edited:
Back