What did you do to your X1/9 today ?

In order to prep my engine cover for paint, I removed the rain tray today. I was a bit surprised to find that the rivets holding it in were brass. That made it easy to drill them out. I think that I may make it removable in the future since I don't drive the car in the rain and it lives indoors when it is not on the road.

Finished up some mods to the center console. Slide out storage box toward the top (helps to hide contraband from unwanted eyes), below that are the only remaining major control switches (headlights, dash dimmer, and interior cabin lights), there's a tiny LED light (connected to the new interior cabin lights) inside the original lower storage area (can't see that area are very well in these pics), and a pair of USB power jacks at the very bottom corners below the shifter boot (still need to make that boot).

I wired the interior lights to the three position switch; position #1 = manual override "off" for all interior lights (for when you come home very late at night and are trying to not wake her up), position #2 = the interior lights are controlled automatically by the door switches, and position #3 = manual override "on" ( to see inside at night while driving). The major interior lights are now LEDs located along the bottom edge of the dash facing toward the footwells.

040.JPG
041.JPG

I've also made new side covers to replace the original ones, but still need to cover them with the new interior materials. Haven't decided on which materials to use where yet. The interior will have two tone medium grey and dark silver coverings, with some red accents and things like the dash and console will be black. Not sure how the center console side covers will fall into that mix until I see some of it come together.

Speaking of those side covers. All of mine tended to be very twisted, warped and falling apart. Plus the padding under the vinyl is very thick. The new custom covers (not shown) are much flatter and tuck in closer to the center tunnel to allow a tiny bit more leg room.

I've also reconfigured the dash center control panel and the instrument cluster, plus repaired and modified the glovebox. Currently in the process of refinishing all that before taking any pics.

Last edited:
After 4 years of work the day has come to get the car painted. Dropped it off just a few mins ago. Almost felt like I was dropping of my child for the first day of school.

Attachments

• FF82BE77-8CED-4C07-B822-E359E9A61C82.jpeg
    FF82BE77-8CED-4C07-B822-E359E9A61C82.jpeg
    297 KB · Views: 117
After 4 years of work the day has come to get the car painted. Dropped it off just a few mins ago. Almost felt like I was dropping of my child for the first day of school.
I know the feeling. Got mine back from paint a few months ago and was happy as could be. After several decades of mild self torture, these little projects are still fun to work on. Especially when you (now) have the patience to do it right. What color are you going for?
Resized_2.jpg

Stripped the bonnet and phosphated it.
Just the rear offside panel to do and I can start the priming.

Replaced the indicator flasher unit for an electronic unit (for use with LED indicators) and now the warning light works on the dash for the first time in years. Before it just flashed once, meaning I was often leaving the indicators on

Replaced the indicator flasher unit for an electronic unit (for use with LED indicators) and now the warning light works on the dash for the first time in years. Before it just flashed once, meaning I was often leaving the indicators on
Someone else was wondering if the electronic flasher (and LEDs) was causing all their lights to quickly flash once everytime the key is first turned on. Now that you installed a electronic flasher are you getting this effect also?

No problems at all. The warning repeater on the dash got less inclined to work as the years went on. I'm making an assumption (actually a guess, with no real knowledge to back this up) that the deterioration of the wiring (earths, feed, etc) over the years means that the original flasher unit is not getting enough current to work properly. The lower draw of the electronic unit overcomes this. Happy to be told otherwise.

Someone else was wondering if the electronic flasher (and LEDs) was causing all their lights to quickly flash once everytime the key is first turned on. Now that you installed a electronic flasher are you getting this effect also?
I thought they found out it was due to the "key inserted" switch dumping enough charge to momentarily flash the LEDs.

I thought they found out it was due to the "key inserted" switch dumping enough charge to momentarily flash the LEDs.
Actually I was the one that suggested that may be why the lights were acting that way. I'm not sure I saw any follow up on that thread after that, so I don't know if that was the case or not. Where there more postings to give any answers?

Back