1500cc hot street motor build

Tipo head, guides out, short side about 20mm, long side about 27.5mm.

Yes, it is as much as 10mm added to the bowl depth/height... as I keep saying it's the bowl depth and "fullness" of the bowls width when modified that makes all the difference, look closely at the port moulds and see how vertical / straight the bowl sides are.

Lift the roof, but leave the floor alone -don't even bother smoothing it off -

Start at the guide area of the bowl, DO NOT start at the manifold face - that should be left until the absolute last when you have the manifold pinned and you're doing the head to manifold port match.

SteveC
Perfect thanks Steve much appreciated

hey everybody, I'm here to share my engine build progress with the hope that I can get some insight from you wise folks who have been there and done it before.

Here's a look into my project from a couple of years ago when I originally built the motor.
https://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/first-start-up.28658/

I've clocked over 100,000k of amazing adventures on it since then with relatively zero motor issues. I've made the 2,300km trek back and forth from Winnipeg, Manitoba (burrrr) to my current residence in Abbotsford, British Columbia 4 times now in the car. One of those trips was a bit more than 2,300km when I made my way down the Columbia River Gorge, across the plains of Idaho, into the desert land of Utah, and finally over the rockies were I eventually ended up in Colorado Springs to surprise my friend at her wedding. I cannot tell you enough how much I have enjoyed owning this car. Regular maintenance checks, a few sets of tires, and a new timing belt somewhere in there have been painless. Bernie at Bent wrenches auto in Mission, BC has been a huge help over the years tweaking things here and there to get the car running the best it could. Robert Maynard at RWM. & co restorations has also been an incredible source of wisdom and friendship.

Over time the car did develop an oil leak and slowly covered and caked the front of the motor and oil pan. I thought it was for sure the front main, so I decided it would be best if at some point I pulled the motor and did a good clean up. It deserved it after all, plus I wanted to put in new motor mounts as mine were gettin reallll saggy.

I finally own another vehicle to use as a daily driver so Ive actually been able to put the x in the garage and work on it without having to ensure that it was back together in time to get to work the next day. A couple of weeks ago I pulled the motor and commenced "project clean up." It really didn't take long before I convinced myself (I also blame all of you that have made your performance builds information so accessible on here) that maybe it was time to do a few things to spark things up a bit. So here we are, I've got the motor half apart, and most of the pieces cleaned up and sorted, and now its time to really begin thinking of what the heck I am doing.

Spec lowdown

1500cc motor
OEM FIAT 1300cc 86.6mm small fly cut pistons
1500 10bolt us spec cylinder head mildly ported and polished according to SteveC's recommendation
stock valve sizes (EX-33mm/IN-36mm) professional 3 angle cut done and seated
stock valve springs
camshaft - unknown (likely stock)
carbs - twin DCNF40's
exhaust - ansa 4-2-1 header to custom 2.25" to supertrapp exhaust
12.4lb lightened flywheel

My goal is to build a hot street motor. I'd love to get into the occasional autocross, and maybe eventually some track days at Mission raceway here in BC. BUT, (i know this might seem like a lot to hope for) I'd love to keep it possible to enjoy some longer distance twisty mountain road trips! I'm not afraid of the inconvenience of maintenance required in tuning the dual carbs and fiddling with all the other stuff that comes along with owning a 40 year old car put together by by a 17 year old kid (that would be me - what an amateur). I just want to gain a little bit more power, and honestly I simply want to understand my motor better, so what better way than to tear it apart and put it back together again.

TO DO LIST

-Mill head to remove circular recess
-measure compression ratio
-decide on a performance Camshaft ????
-clean up engine and repair oil leak
-replace engine mounts
-have fun learning along the way

QUESTIONS

-I know there is tons of information on the subject, but I am still undecided on what camshaft to choose. I have a few options available locally. Vics 42-82/82-42 or taking a cam blank and getting it ground to whatever spec desired. Im open to opinions and ideas, what say you?

I'm going to be making segment posts on each section of the build - cylinder head, cam shaft choice, engine mounts, etc. But here are a few progress pics so far.

View attachment 19627 View attachment 19628 View attachment 19629 View attachment 19630
Great build! What jetting setup are you running on your twin 40dcnf's?

Hi People l managed to get a European cam for my 1500,l intend to run Twin 40mm DellOrto side drafts it’s an Australian import what pistons and head work needed plus it has a big valve head.l intend to put it in a 128 2 door cheers l hope lm in the right place for your help 🤷🏻‍♂️🥂🤓Salute

Hi People l managed to get a European cam for my 1500,l intend to run Twin 40mm DellOrto side drafts it’s an Australian import what pistons and head work needed plus it has a big valve head.l intend to put it in a 128 2 door cheers l hope lm in the right place for your help 🤷🏻‍♂️🥂🤓Salute
Hi Paolo, I believe you are asking what pistons and head work you should do along with the Euro cam? If it already has a big valve head then the head might have some existing head work done to it. See if you can determine what has already been done, or post lots of pics of it (assuming the head is off the engine). The pistons will depend on your intended compression ratio, but that can't be determined until you know what's already been done to the head.

Perhaps start a new thread with all of your engine information in it. Then you can add all the pics there and continue discussing things further. :)

Back