1976 Scorpion; Gold

First carb is out.
first carb out.JPG

Screws holding air cleaner plate on carb #2 were frozen. One head broke off. Will get to repairing that later.
DSC_0034.JPG

One nut for the fuel filter is visible. Plan is to take the fuel pump out first to get access.
fuel filter nut.JPG

The driver's side carb has to come off first to get to the nuts to remove the passenger side carb on this Alquati manifold.
second carb off.JPG

This nut was loosened to let the heater hose move side-to-side but not removed as I could not figure out a good way to ever get it back in place. Not enough room to get my hands under there.
nut on heater hose loosened.JPG

With both carbs removed, the fuel pump is visible. There are two nuts on either side near the base.
fuel pump visible.JPG

Fuel pump nuts removed with 10mm tiny ratchet driver. This car has never seen snow, and the nuts came off with my fingers after breaking them loose with the ratchet. No washer, just a flanged nut. There is a wire jumper that goes around the rubber mount for the ground that goes on this stud. It is in the shadow, did not show in the picture. Need to make sure this ground jumper gets re-attached as the fuel pump only has a single hot wire going to the motor.

fuel pump nut off.JPG
fuel pump nut.JPG

The two rubber mounts for the fuel filter are seen at the top of the picture (and one can barely make out the jumper wire on the lower one).

With the fuel pump out of the way, the two nuts to the fuel filter/regulator can be seen and reached.
I applied some wd 40 and these loosened easliy and came off with my fingers. They were not rusted as bad as the picture indicates.
fuel filter in place.JPG

With the fuel filter/regulator loose, I was able to pull it up and out. Next in line is the fuel pump, which will come out too.
fuel filter out.jpg
fuel filter out 2.JPG

This is the fuel filter/regulator. Probably not available any more, but I do have a new one.
fuel filter-regulator.JPG

All the original hoses appear in good condition. They are flexible and not cracked anywhere.
The replacement hoses making the "Y" to the carb, that were added in 1983 are hard as a rock.

I moved my pump and filter for this very reason. I like the thought of road side repair without dismantling the intake system. I made a plate and welded it to the emission charcoal canister mounting plate. The fuel pump is mounted to this plate. I bought a new regulator and mounted that to the firewall.

I have an original replacement filter/regulator, but I might pick up one of these aftermarket units as a spare. MALPASSI FILTER KING 67mm Alloy bowl:
Screen Shot 2022-11-16 at 9.46.42 PM.png

That is good to know the spacing on the holes matches.
Well i made a bracket to move it away from the fuel tank. I did not like how one of the fuel lines was kinked. I’ll take a photo tonight

Last edited:
Back