1976 Scorpion; Gold

DSC_0051 1.JPG

Since the modifications are all Italian origin (Webers, Alquati manifold and cams) and all from the 1980s, I'm considering it pretty much all original with period correct modifications. The car's history pack includes the vintage Bayless catalogs with the parts circled and some letters from Art Bayless. For example, using 42mm DCNF with that manifold and cams, rather than 40mm DCNF, was Art's recommendation.

I got everything back together the way it was before I dug into the fuel lines. The car ran fine prior to its storage and still runs fine now.😌

Now that I know it does not need any 'repairs' I'll proceed with the rest of the usual matinance item, like oil, hoses, coolant change etc.
Plugs and points, brakes, disks etc are all still like new with only a few hundred miles on them.
Too bad about the tires, they are from 2003 and only have a couple hundred miles on them. Probably need to be replaced.
IMG_1337.JPG

Last edited:
I forgot how much I enjoy driving this car. The steering is so light compared to my other non-power assist steering cars. And the shifting is the best of any mid engine car I have driven.

Wow what sound with those 42mm Webers whaling away!

IMG_1341.JPG

Wow what sound with those 42mm Webers whaling away!
Yes, that is what is missing on my red car. Planning on rebuilding the bottom end with some high compression pistons, a 2.0 fuel injected high performance head and cams and finally a set of 42DCNF's. Carbs and manifold has been ordered, will get the rest of the stuff over the next few months. Thanks for the prompt, been looking for a set and seeing you working on getting this car back on the road just helped to push me to find a set.

So what all was done to the engine? I know you have the Alquati manifold and cams, I would assume this is still a 1.8, but did you bump up the compression ratio? Such a beautiful example, looks original, but your upgrades are subtle. Superb car!

So what all was done to the engine? I know you have the Alquati manifold and cams, I would assume this is still a 1.8, but did you bump up the compression ratio? Such a beautiful example, looks original, but your upgrades are subtle. Superb car!
I pulled the head, replaced piston rings and con-rod bearings. Had a shop seat the valves and install high performance valve springs. When I got the head back I installed the Alquati cams. Due to the sudden demise of leaded fuel, I did not increase the compression ratio.
I wanted the Ansa quad exhaust but shipping expense was an issue. I actually can't recall the brand of the exhaust and header currently on the car. I had a local hot-rod shop order the set and I picked it up in person.

The Alquati manifold was direct bolt-on with no other mods needed. Alternator and distributor remained in original locations. There was an extra price for Bayless to 'jet' the carb to my application. I also got some instruction from Art to ensure the jetting was right.

I added steel cam pullyes, blocked off the air pump drive, spent some time fiddling with the springs in the distributor.

The struts were replaced with Konis all around and euro springs were installed to lower the car the Montecarlo level and correct the camber.

Cosmetically, the car had been broken into to steal the radio in the late 1970s. That damaged the center console and some trim strips around the windows.
Amazing as it now seems, my local Lancia dealer ordered all the parts I needed back in 1981 to put the interior back like new. Yes, a complete, perfectly matching center console showed up in a big box!

When I put new tires on the wheels, I re-finished the wheels myself with a spray-paint kit from EASTWOOD.

Someone had removed the side black trim, so I replaced that and added fresh PininFarina badges.

Otherwise the car came to me from Florida and was only 6 years old when I got it. It has never seen snow and has been in indoor storage all the years I have owned it.
Close.jpg
interior.jpg

Last edited:
It is truly in amazing shape and your upgrades are really nicely done. Thanks for sharing the details on the car.

Yes, that is what is missing on my red car. Planning on rebuilding the bottom end with some high compression pistons, a 2.0 fuel injected high performance head and cams and finally a set of 42DCNF's. Carbs and manifold has been ordered, will get the rest of the stuff over the next few months. Thanks for the prompt, been looking for a set and seeing you working on getting this car back on the road just helped to push me to find a set.
The sound is deafening with out any air filter in place. As I type this my right ear is still ringing from yesterday's outing!

Sometimes you really do need to get out and drive your hobby car. I had sort of considered selling my red X as who needs two Xs. I hadn't driven it for several weeks as I was concentrating on my brown X. Took the red one out for a local sprint and was reminded what an absolute hooligan it was. Big smiles and no more thoughts of selling it. Well, for the right price I'll sell any of my cars........................

Carl has a great point, driving our cars is what they are meant to do. I do like working on mine and polishing them. But driving them is what it is abou.

So I am ordering the rest of the parts I need to put this same assembly in my car. The carbs I purchased (42DCNF) do not have airhorns, like they do on my Citroen SM. I assume you purchased this as a kit many years ago? in your pictures, it looks like the air cleaners are directly on top of the carb and my guess is there is no room for airhorns due to height restrictions?

I also understand that the short DCNF carbs fit with air cleaners, which is what I purchased. My carbs were originally set up for a VW, so I'll need to contact Midwest Bayless to get the right jets from them for my application. Figuring out the linkage will be next!

Attachments

• 8882933.jpg
    8882933.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 67
I don't think there is room for the airhorns within the air cleaner assemblies. I think the opening will be so close to the lid the airflow will be restricted.

The raised center portion of a 308 airbox, which accepts the airhorns, makes it almost twice as tall as the Bayless chrome air filter assemblies.

Screen Shot 2022-12-02 at 10.36.09 AM.png

Last edited:
I don't think there is room for the airhorns within the air cleaner assemblies. I think the opening will be so close to the lid the airflow will be restricted.
From what I have read, there needs to be at least 3/4 inch clearance above the airhorn in the air filters, so that is probably the reason they are not on the carbs. I also wonder if that is why your car has so much induction "roar". My other Scorpion has dual 40 DCOE's with small airhorns with mesh filters and it is loud but not too loud. I'll know more as I put this all together.

Back