87 Dash / Binnacle Modification

If you posted it earlier then that's probably where I got it from, I thought it was somewhere on Xweb that I saw it.

If that "grained" covering works then it would be better, it certainly seems to be thin. What is "non backed" vinyl?

And what adhesive are you referring to as "foam core bond"? I'll need to fill the cracks on mine too. Typically I see that most people use body filler, but to me that doesn't seem the best product for this application.

The non-backed vinyl does not have the usual fabric backing, so it is very thin. the kind I bought has adhesive.

Screen Shot 2020-12-26 at 10.07.22 PM.png

The foam core bond is an adhesive caulk that does not damage the existing foam. It will flex, so no additional cracking should occur. I had to cover the dash though, it was unsightly & being silicone based, no way to sand or otherwise address it beyond shaving it. I got impatient, so I didn't bother. I

Last edited:
Turned out nice. The adhesive vinyl seems to have worked well. Is it like "vehicle wrap", so it will stretch and contour easily?

Test fitting the dash. Wasn't sure if the added layers would interfere with the dash lip fitting into the locating tongues, however it's all good.

Some wiring has to be moved around to allow for the recessed cluster /center panel. The ovalled vent hose works well.

Need to wire the under dash illumination, the USB port (where cigar lighter used to live), the tweeters and the alarm/keyless entry module.

IMG_20201228_163300.jpg
IMG_20201228_163434.jpg
IMG_20201228_163442.jpg

Last edited:
Test fitting the dash. Wasn't sure if the added layers would interfere with the dash lip fitting into the locating tongues, however it's all good.

Some wiring has to be moved around to allow for the recessed cluster /center panel. The ovalled vent hose works well.

Need to wire the under dash illumination, the USB port (where cigar lighter used to live), the tweeters and the alarm/keyless entry module.

View attachment 40556View attachment 40557View attachment 40558
You’re an inspiration...

View attachment 40556View attachment 40557View attachment 40558

Looking good! I hope the revised sight lines are what you had hoped for. I know for me, moving the instruments back and down would have a huge positive effect on visibility. Being short and owning one of the later cars with a lowered seat, I have always felt like I sit down in the car too much. I have wanted to add spacers under the drivers seat for me (and my wife if she would ever deign to drive it) but the view would get even worse of the tach, the rim of the steering wheel being the fulcrum of how the view changes for me.

When I autocross I tend to take the wipers off (love that feature) as my view down the hood is impeded by the wipers.

Really interesting modification that further cements the individual ownership of this car, both literally and figuratively.

How visible is the heads up display during the day? Does it have the tach, a shift light or only MPH? So many cool toys going on with this car.

Looking good! I hope the revised sight lines are what you had hoped for. I know for me, moving the instruments back and down would have a huge positive effect on visibility. Being short and owning one of the later cars with a lowered seat, I have always felt like I sit down in the car too much. I have wanted to add spacers under the drivers seat for me (and my wife if she would ever deign to drive it) but the view would get even worse of the tach, the rim of the steering wheel being the fulcrum of how the view changes for me.

When I autocross I tend to take the wipers off (love that feature) as my view down the hood is impeded by the wipers.

Really interesting modification that further cements the individual ownership of this car, both literally and figuratively.

How visible is the heads up display during the day? Does it have the tach, a shift light or only MPH? So many cool toys going on with this car.

It's not a HUD - just the GPS sensor for the Speedo - you did get me searching for one that could fit in that spot, though :D - there are many listed that seem to be 'heads up" only in the sense that they sit ON the dash top - not projections :(

Well, it seems that what little I moved the gauges makes no difference. Hard to photograph my exact viewing angle - it's somewhere between these two. Basically, I have to nod or raise my head a touch to see the outside of the fuel gauge, and the inside of the OP gauge. Not a major issue, but....

My wheel is one step smaller than stock (1" smaller ID/OD, I think..)

Spent a bunch of time fiddling with the cluster harnesses - they just weren't laying in a relaxed state that would allow for pulling out, and pushing back

IMG_20201229_113144.jpg
IMG_20201229_113218.jpg

Added wiring / connectors for the tweeter, so they can be unplugged from below the dash prior to (dash) removal, otherwise it's a PITA to access the plug at the tweeter. Added connectors and a length of wiring for each 'puddle' light - just have to wire those into the L & R side courtesy light circuit (Vio-Wht & Vio-Bk wires)

IMG_20201229_150643.jpg
IMG_20201229_151340.jpg

there are many listed that seem to be 'heads up" only in the sense that they sit ON the dash top - not projections
There are some that project an image onto the windshield. The image from the unit is reversed so it looks correct after reflecting off the glass. But I seriously doubt they work very well. At least nothing like a factory HUD does. However they are not that expensive if you want to experiment. Search places like AliExpress for HUD, but look for ones that project with the image reversed. However as you say, you'll find many that imply that's what they do but don't, so pay close attention to the models and detailed descriptions.

Decided I had to cover the dash top - I introduced new cracks when I cut the tweeter & GPS openings.
I covered it first with 1/16" neoprene foam, to balance out some of the imperfections in the surface then an adhesive backed vinyl.
Not sure about covering the glovebox door, it's already too heavy

View attachment 40432

The repair ridge us still visible though

View attachment 40433View attachment 40434View attachment 40435View attachment 40436View attachment 40437
The 1/16 neoprene foam - would the crack have disappeared with thicker foam, or was it futile? What adhesive did you use to stick the vinyl down on the underside of the dash - I’ve got some 3M 77 contact cement sitting around - thoughts?
And the heat gun - how much did you need to use that, just to stretch around the ends and vent insert areas, etc, or is heating the vinyl used all over….thanks

The 1/16 neoprene foam - would the crack have disappeared with thicker foam, or was it futile? What adhesive did you use to stick the vinyl down on the underside of the dash - I’ve got some 3M 77 contact cement sitting around - thoughts?
And the heat gun - how much did you need to use that, just to stretch around the ends and vent insert areas, etc, or is heating the vinyl used all over….thanks

If the crack can be felt/seen prior to covering, it will still show up no matter what you use in terms of thickness.
I use DAP contact cement for areas I need to brush glue (both surfaces), 3M Super Trim adhesive for spray applications. I don't recall offhand, however I think 3M 77 is a lighter weight adhesive.

I'd have to go back & look specifically at the heat gun usage, I don't recall offhand what I used it for.... 🤪

Ok, so make sure it’s smooth and flat to the touch as possible, no crests or ridges. Easier said than done :)
Whenever I watch ’expert’ videos on Youtube (whose shops have all closed by the time I contact them), there seems to be a fair amount of heat gun and stretching around corners involved.

Last edited:
Back