Any interest in new production X1/9 STAINLESS expansion tanks?

Hey everyone,

As we know, the coolant expansion tanks are the Achilles heel of our little X19s. Early tanks were mild steel and rusted from the inside out. Even if they don't leak now, they can't be trusted.

Later plastic tanks were prone to UV damage and were done in with the first overheating event.

The one-year-only, 1978 Stainless Steel tank is the only real solution, and these have been trading at very high prices recently.

New OE style tanks have not been available, in any construction for many, many years.

We are working to develop an exact OE style, stainless steel tank, (without exaggeration a "lifetime solution") with a vendor. This will have the same flanged clamshell, seam welded construction and exact dimensions of the original tank, suitable for all model years of X1/9.

If all goes well, we'll have product in-hand about 6 weeks after we submit our order.

To that end, I'd like to hear interest from the group on these NEW tanks, complete with upper mounting bracket, in the $150-ish range.

Exact prices are still being determined, but will be published before deposits are accepted.

The photo below is of a stock tank. I will post photos of the prototype unit as soon as they are available.

4325296.jpg

I'd like to follow the same basic process that Bob did with the Aluminum radiators in terms of gauging interest and accepting initial deposits for production.

Anyone interested?

-Matt
Midwest-Bayless Italian Auto

Just a suggestion...

... That some might want or like.

Offer them (for a price) polished to a nice luster. Also offer the top brace that secures the tank in stainless. (simple and very easy to make)

I'm In....

Yep, I'm in for one!

And thanks for undertaking this project!

Any chance of a reproduction of the minor hoses that connect to this tank?

One thing I forgot. If you make a stainless tank and use a zinc coated bracket you will get corrosion between the parts, they don't like each other - hince you will need to use stainless/stainless.

Dan, see this for hoses...

Look closely at the item numbers. You can get them at most Auto parts stores.

was3.jpg

Hi Bob,

I agree that there are serviceable but not perfect substitutes for the fatter hose from the stat housing to the bottom front of the tank.

But that skinny S-shaped hose that goes into the top of the tank has been a real tough one for me to match up.

There are some emission hoses that are close, but I would not want to take the chance of using an emission-rated hose for use with hot coolant.

Dan, I used them with 100 percent success

...and if you ask Jim Schultz how they're holding up, I'm certain he'll have a favorable report for you.
I found these hoses to work and fit like original, with the only difference being with the smallest hose
having a 90 degree bend while the original has (like) a 120 degree bend.

3M protection film

Strangepod,
you are right about corrosion between parts, what I did, I applied the "Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film"
under the bracket (betwween bracket and tank).

Last edited:
Very interesting. This is exactly what we need to get me to stop collecting these....:mallet:

I might be in for a few as well:mallet:

Here are some goodies I did recently to one of my Tanks. I chromed the bracket and purchased a Stainless steel Cap:hypno:

You have a sickness. One we can all appreciate :)
Nice

Very interesting. This is exactly what we need to get me to stop collecting these....:mallet:

I might be in for a few as well:mallet:

Here are some goodies I did recently to one of my Tanks. I chromed the bracket and purchased a Stainless steel Cap:hypno:

I would be interested. My plastic tank is OE and likely not long for this world.

I know there is also the aluminum one from Vicks (which is more hot rod-ish), how much market is there for these (expansion tanks in general).

I like the one somebody made from two SS chafing dishes which was amazing and very much like the OE one (like but not the same)

Back