Any interest in new production X1/9 STAINLESS expansion tanks?

I don't wanna rain on anyone's parade here...

Just offering up some alternatives...

If "originality" is NOT an issue... Summitracing.com offers many aluminum tanks that are easily adapted for about $100 dollars. Here is one example:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ctr-80-202/overview/

The only other caveat is that most are about half the capacity of our originals (2 quarts, versus 4). Summit does have larger ones but they get terribly expensive at around $300 bucks. Those that have installed the 2 quart versions say they notice no difference in operation.

I digress though... I do like Bob's suggestion of offering highly polished units, brackets and bolts as well! HA! For the "Yves" in all of us!

Nice alternative Tony but if you want that original look there is only one way... I think the summit one might work good for a race car..

:happy:

If "originality" is NOT an issue...

Is the third sentence DOWN in my text... and my FIRST caveat.

And Jeff, in the past 15 years or so you've known me... just when was I ever concerned with "originality". HA!

You know I have a special place in my heart for those that are and willing to replace parts with nothing but the original pieces when they KNOW there is something better, cheaper, and faster out there!

And if YOU really want to be ORIGINAL and do a complete and thorough 100 point restoration... then you MUST reinstall a PLASTIC one (or STEEL, if called for)... unless you have the one year mark ('75, I think) that came from the factory with the SS tank!

Maybe we oughta have Matt see if he can get some plastic ones re-manufactured! HAHAHAHA!

Hey... I guess you can see I'm pretty bored this morning, sorry for the rant! HAHAHAHA!

Last edited:
Count me in Matt

I'd be particularly interested in polished versions for Louis and Mia. Will they come with caps?

Oooh...shiny!

any chance for that matching shiny brake reservoir...

Matt, if they made these at 1/3 the size and put the fill cap on the side and not the top, they would be 85% along the way to making a replacement X1/9 brake fluid reservoir.

Not sure what Matt's up to in this regard, but I do have one prototype reservoir in a satin (not polished) aluminum finish:

:grin: :nana:

Tank Update...

First, I want to thank everyone for their input, with initial interest like, this, the project is moving forward.

Second, to all of those who want polished tanks, unfortunately this won't be an offering for this go-round. Plain stainless at this point, but with a little Mother's or jeweler's rouge, a wheel, and 45 minutes of your time, you can achieve the great results that others have shown.

Third, yes, these will come with caps and the upper bracket.

We are getting closer to finalizing the details, as soon as I am confident that all details are covered, I'll share a link for issuing deposits.

-Matt

Stainless bracket

Good point Bob,
I already have a stainless tank but not the upper bracket ... if Matt is willing I'm in for the bracket.

I take my Tanks to my local welder shop and he charges me between 15 and 25 dollars to polish up a tank depending on how much paint and grit is on it. Source a good shop like this in your area and you will have a nice polished TANK:italia::italia:

Back