Best 185/60/13s currently available?

Amen to that. Nankang AR-1 is very close to 888's that would save some money.
AR-1-__ScaleMaxWidthWzUwNV0_300x300.png

All good if you are modifying the suspension setup at the same time. With stock 1970s suspension you ideally want a period radial with the rounded profile not the more modern squared profile as during cornering the stock suspension allows the car to roll onto the tyre edges. If you can control that then sure super sticky square edge tyres will give tremendous grip.

the Exaltos are excellent and by far the best 185/60 13 option for daily drivers not driving on rose petals to the track.
About 800 miles on my first set and purchased a second set from the UK.
Minivan tires phht…tires on the 128 would look just as good on a bus.

I have not... But I happen to build my cars to very specific profile. I get tired of the guys who tout modern cars to me telling me that even a modern econobox will out handle a sports car from the 70's.. So my cars are set up for Maximum dry grip and road holding during cornering, and a nice agressive but period appropriate look. This usually involves a lot of suspension mods and a good deal of weight reduction, while at the same time trying to maintain the character and 'comforts' of the car. Not gutting the interior etc... With that in mind, I want the stickiest tire I can put on a car. My Datsun 1200 Coupe pulls over 1G on the skidpad, I haven't had the 128 on the track to measure, but I drove away from a 911 on a very twisty mountain road so that can't be bad .... I treat tires on a car the same way I look at motorcycle tires, they're the only thing keeping you from sliding down the road on your face, so...... as sticky as possible. I don't really care how long they last, I want to know that when I throw it into a corner it's going to stick and without drama..
The great thing about Toyo's, is they don't really heat cycle. They never get hard and stay sticky until the cords are showing and for a really soft tire they last a decent amount of time on a lightweight car. According to that Euro labeling, the R888's have a D wet traction rating, but I have never had a problem or scary moment in the wet on them.( Maybe it's because I grew up in South Florida where it rains pretty much every day?) Now in Los Angeles it doesn't rain much, and rarely gets down to 50°F so I can run them all year long. The Toyo RA1's we're awesome in the rain, but they're not available in 13's anymore.. Those Exalto's look like a minivan or taxicab tire to me, not very sporty looking, and at 240 treadwear they just are not going to be sticky enough, especially being a narrow 185 and on a light car. I run 240 treadwear Bridgestone's on my wife's BMW Z3 M Coupe, but that's a 3200lb Car....

A comment and a question:

The statement that you are on the street with tires that "stay sticky until the cords are showing" concerns me.

As for the 911 and your rather mildly prepped 128; I have to ask if it was going in the opposite direction when you "drove away from it"?

A comment and a question:

The statement that you are on the street with tires that "stay sticky until the cords are showing" concerns me.

As for the 911 and your rather mildly prepped 128; I have to ask if it was going in the opposite direction when you "drove away from it"?
Ha! When the tread gets really low, those tires are reserved for track events... I was trying to illustrate that they heat cycle well. I've had Yokohamas and Hoosiers that both started getting hard after not to many heat cycles..
As for the 911, who can say? I did not know the driver, but unless you really know how to drive one, they are not an easy car to drive fast. I remember watching all those classic rallies where a bunch of cars come flying around a tight corner followed by a 911 that spins it... I think they really benefitted from the later 4wd setup. Probably not a great idea to hang a heavy engine off the ass of a car...(that's just an opinion) For a light rear engine like a Fiat or a Hillman Imp it makes more sense to me.. The road was the super twisty Glendora Mountain Road, it's too tight for sportbikes really, all 2nd and 3rd gear. (The bikes prefer Angeles Crest Highway, more larger sweepers) Horsepower isn't much use there as much as transient handling, a lot of really quick left right left transitions.. plus the FWD allows me to brake early and power though corners & GMR is all corners. The 128 is lowered around 3", spherical jointed front arms, delrin sway and rear arm bushings, wagon rear spring, Koni single adjustables, EBC yellow pads up front, Ferodo rear shoes, braided lines & R888s... The 911 hung with me for a minute or so and then steadily dropped back over a quarter mile until I could no longer see him in the rearview... Maybe, he just couldn't drive? He caught up at the midpoint break was asked me if my brake lights were working. I told him they were, I just didn't use them much..😁

I found a pic from that day!

Attachments

• IMG_5555_2.jpg
    IMG_5555_2.jpg
    424.2 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
You also do a lot of misplaced apostrophes. :)

But I hear you. But still not sure how you can judge the Michelins like you are. Or maybe the point you're making is that the Toyos are really good. Makes sense.

Check post #7 for what the meaning of best was for this thread.
Just different strokes for different folks.
I went through two sets of RA-1s back when Xweb was the old forum and they just aren’t practical for daily use.
UTQG 100 or lower on these roads… no thanks.
Michelins for the win..let’s hope they continue on. 👍

B50F3441-6F8B-425D-8B83-052FAF066F62.jpeg

Check post #7 for what the meaning of best was for this thread.
Just different strokes for different folks.
I went through two sets of RA-1s back when Xweb was the old forum and they just aren’t practical for daily use.
UTQG 100 or lower on these roads… no thanks.
Michelins for the win..let’s hope they continue on. 👍

View attachment 50693
Ooffff.. that IS one ugly road surface! I guess we get spoiled on the west coast!😁

I just got an X1/9 and need tires... and wow, a lot of the options in this thread have dried up in the US. Anyone have a lead on a good 185/60R13 tire?? thanks

Easiest method: Call Discount Tire. Have them order you a set of Vredesteins in your size. Very good tires for a driver (not a racer) and not expensive. Took about 5 days for them to arrive. About $300 installed.

Ordered some Nankang AR-1s about 3 months ago... Supposedly, they'll finally arrive next week. Been dying to put my new wheels on. Was hoping to get it done before the Best of France and Italy show, but way blew that deadline...😭

Easiest method: Call Discount Tire. Have them order you a set of Vredesteins in your size. Very good tires for a driver (not a racer) and not expensive. Took about 5 days for them to arrive. About $300 installed.
Clay, First of all: You're in ABQ?! OMG. I did not think such a person existed. Second, thank you for answering the basic question here. I had lost track of the suggestions, but they all seemed terribly foreign and costly. This sounds like the "easy button" to me.

Hmmm, however, I see Vredesteins do not come in 185-60-13s. Great disappointment, as usual.

I ordered the Michelins from Longstone. Has anyone in the US done this before? How long before they arrive?
Hopefully they have good steering feel. I don't need a ton of grip (it's fun to slide around a bit), but I would like the car to feel good.
Of course, I need to start with 4 matching, round tires, so here I am!

I ordered the Michelins from Longstone. Has anyone in the US done this before? How long before they arrive?
Hopefully they have good steering feel. I don't need a ton of grip (it's fun to slide around a bit), but I would like the car to feel good.
Of course, I need to start with 4 matching, round tires, so here I am!
Pretty sure I was guinea pig #1. It took a bit of time and I did follow up w/ Simon there. Since that time I think their turnaround has been excellent.
Suspect you will like these tires as I do.

Pretty sure I was guinea pig #1. It took a bit of time and I did follow up w/ Simon there. Since that time I think their turnaround has been excellent.
Suspect you will like these tires as I do.
how long did it take for them to get to you?

Back