Best 185/60/13s currently available?

Has anybody tried the Michelins in the 195/55r13 size? They are a tad cheaper than the 185/60's

Also! Didnt Longstone offer free shipping before?

Years ago I was able to score a decent set of 205/60s on Lancia Scorp wheels, installed two on the rear of my then-X, tried to put the other two on the front, and they did not fit. Kept one as a spare and sold the other.

On my X front arches are a bit cut to fit 195/40 16” = OD 562mm
205/60 14=576mm
It is 7mm more on radius 😬 I might not have that much space without some more serious adjustments of front inner fender behind the headlights..
I’ll start with 185/60 and maybe after that put 205/60 in the rear.

Thanks!

Has anyone picture of 205/60 on X19 on all corners?
Here's a pic...
'74 with Personal wheels. Yes, they rub a bit in front at full lock. But, not bad. It was driven for MANY miles like this.
X in front of AAR.jpg

I guess what we mean by 'best' tire can vary quite a bit!... To me, best means sticky, predictable, sporty looking.. Those Michelin's are none of those things...

I guess what we mean by 'best' tire can vary quite a bit!... To me, best means sticky, predictable, sporty looking.. Those Michelin's are none of those things...
Snap!

Hard to argue with that given your profile pic, that is one buff looking 128. Seriously.

Vredestein are great fricken tires. I have some vorti R and some of their ultra high performance winter tires. I swear that their UHP winters are better than my Michelin PS4S in most conditions other than above 20C. And that is on a 600hp AWD car. The Classic sprint they make look like great tires also. Modern construction with a classic look. Nice to see a 265 in a 13 also. The last 13" performance tire I had on the X was a set of Toyo RA1s great tire!!

Classic sprint look so right!

1628358864087.png

Vredestein are great fricken tires. I have some vorti R and some of their ultra high performance winter tires. I swear that their UHP winters are better than my Michelin PS4S in most conditions other than above 20C. And that is on a 600hp AWD car. The Classic sprint they make look like great tires also. Modern construction with a classic look. Nice to see a 265 in a 13 also. The last 13" performance tire I had on the X was a set of Toyo RA1s great tire!!

I just put a set of 165/70-13s Verdesteins on my X that I ordered from the Tire Rack. I have only done a short test drive on them but they are great so far.

Mike

Let us know if you can find another 185/60R13 with a Euro wet grip rating of A.
1628380084615.png

Reactions: NEG
I like the euro rating system. Tread noise measurements, rolling resistance score, and wet traction rating. Once, I put a set of Hoosier 185/60R13 DOT tires on my (Renault Alliance cup car). It was a second a lap slower than the Toyo R888. I put a friend in the car and did a blind tire test. He was a second slower with the Hoosiers also. I called the Hoosier dealer. He told me that on low power cars ( the Alliance was 65hp net like a stock X 1/9) he had heard the same thing. (ROLLING RESISTANCE ABSORBS HORSEPOWER) The lesson to learn here is this: If you have so much power that you can smoke your tires, MAYBE high grip, high rolling resistance tires will improve your lap times. If lap times are not your primary concern, select a tire that suits YOUR REQUIREMENTS. I used to be a field technical representative for a famous Italian tire manufacturer. Most retail customers tend to shop on low Price, not performance characteristics. And yes, it is hard to find good tires that fit our OE 13" wheels.

Nice tyre, though aimed more for track use so probably not very long life.
Also, in 185 60 13 they are rated B for wet braking grip. Still pretty good.

Last edited:
Yeah Lowtechprime, what do you have against the Michelins? Have you used them personally?
I have not... But I happen to build my cars to very specific profile. I get tired of the guys who tout modern cars to me telling me that even a modern econobox will out handle a sports car from the 70's.. So my cars are set up for Maximum dry grip and road holding during cornering, and a nice agressive but period appropriate look. This usually involves a lot of suspension mods and a good deal of weight reduction, while at the same time trying to maintain the character and 'comforts' of the car. Not gutting the interior etc... With that in mind, I want the stickiest tire I can put on a car. My Datsun 1200 Coupe pulls over 1G on the skidpad, I haven't had the 128 on the track to measure, but I drove away from a 911 on a very twisty mountain road so that can't be bad .... I treat tires on a car the same way I look at motorcycle tires, they're the only thing keeping you from sliding down the road on your face, so...... as sticky as possible. I don't really care how long they last, I want to know that when I throw it into a corner it's going to stick and without drama..
The great thing about Toyo's, is they don't really heat cycle. They never get hard and stay sticky until the cords are showing and for a really soft tire they last a decent amount of time on a lightweight car. According to that Euro labeling, the R888's have a D wet traction rating, but I have never had a problem or scary moment in the wet on them.( Maybe it's because I grew up in South Florida where it rains pretty much every day?) Now in Los Angeles it doesn't rain much, and rarely gets down to 50°F so I can run them all year long. The Toyo RA1's we're awesome in the rain, but they're not available in 13's anymore.. Those Exalto's look like a minivan or taxicab tire to me, not very sporty looking, and at 240 treadwear they just are not going to be sticky enough, especially being a narrow 185 and on a light car. I run 240 treadwear Bridgestone's on my wife's BMW Z3 M Coupe, but that's a 3200lb Car....

Attachments

• IMG_20151206_144314_223~3.jpg
    IMG_20151206_144314_223~3.jpg
    576.3 KB · Views: 86
Back