When I ordered a clutch master and a brake master from MWB, some different size nozzles were included. So I could use the one corresponding to my hose. So, in Larry's case, the PO may have used different sizes fittings, and different size hoses.
Depending on when the replacements were installed, the mechanic that did the work might have used parts from some other car. Ask me to relate the story about finding a Volvo bolt in the rear cross member as he was chewing me out for taking my X to someone else to service it. :cool:

I need to disagree. I appreciate you taking the time to measure it, but after double-checking the clutch master was 5mm.

But... before you respond, please read on...

pics deleted for brevity sake.

MWB states on their page for the replacement clutch hose, 5'. If it winds up being 45", then I'll lop off the excess.

I would, but I bought 5' of extra hose from MWB - the 7-8mm - read on before responding....

And then some.... :)

Thanks Doug. I really appreciate the offer...

As I indicated above, I ordered 5' of 7-8mm hose on the off-chance that's what I needed. Winds up, that is what I needed *after* I made some additional purchases.

I picked up a new clutch reservoir from @Chris Obert 's FiatPlus.com. I called Chris and asked if he could measure it and he said it's 8mm. Plus, he stocks inlet nipples that are also 8mm. Chris' shop is a 30 minute jaunt from me so I went down on Friday and picked up a new clutch reservoir and inlet nipple plus a few more for the friend from Fiat America who has to do this same job to a couple of X1/9s as well.

I'll be replacing the clutch reservoir - huge thanks to @Dr.Jeff for his PM's and suggestions of replacing the clutch reservoir - I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have gone that route if he hadn't suggested it - and the inlet nipple on the master.
Just a tip so you don't learn the hard way, like I did. When I did my first clutch master, I cranked down the outlet fitting as tight as I could.... The second time I did it (and I decided to do the brake master at the same time), the clutch master outlet leaked, & I rounded off the flair nut trying to tighten it more to get it to stop. ( I recommend, like others, the Irwin Vise Grip tool for rounded nuts. I bought both sizes). I learned that this fitting is a bubble flair, not the more common inverted flair on the end of the hard line. If these are overtightened, it can crush the "bubble" resulting in a poor seal. I purchased some CuNi brakeline & a bubble flair kit & attempted to repair the line by cutting it under the dash & making a new piece. This proved to be quite challenging. I had to flair the old hardline under the dash to an inverted flair ( you can all imagine how much fun that was. I did remove the drivers seat to make more working room). Several attempts to make this line ended in disaster. Between the bubble flairs I made leaking & kinking the line trying to make the tight bends. I abandoned making the bubble & took a 1 ft piece of line a local shop to see if they would put a bubble in it. The mechanic did it for no charge (Kudo's to Monro Muffler & Brake), although I gave him 10 bucks to buy himself lunch. Once again I kinked the like trying to make the tight bends needed. I had been working on this for about a month, so I officially decided to give up & have it towed to a shop to repair. ( don't even ask me about the brake master that I installed that ended up being no good out of the box...) I let it sit for a week & I woke up on a Sunday and decided to give it 1 more go... I found another shop that was open on Sunday & had them, once again, put a bubble on a piece of line. To my surprise, no charge again! (Props to Firestone Car Care Center). Bought him lunch as well. Took my time bending the line & finally got it to fit without kinking!! I carefully tightened the outlet nut, but it still wept upon bleeding. 1/8 turn & voila!, no more leaks.

Just a tip so you don't learn the hard way, like I did. When I did my first clutch master, I cranked down the outlet fitting as tight as I could.... The second time I did it (and I decided to do the brake master at the same time), the clutch master outlet leaked, & I rounded off the flair nut trying to tighten it more to get it to stop. ( I recommend, like others, the Irwin Vise Grip tool for rounded nuts. I bought both sizes). I learned that this fitting is a bubble flair, not the more common inverted flair on the end of the hard line. If these are overtightened, it can crush the "bubble" resulting in a poor seal. I purchased some CuNi brakeline & a bubble flair kit & attempted to repair the line by cutting it under the dash & making a new piece. This proved to be quite challenging. I had to flair the old hardline under the dash to an inverted flair ( you can all imagine how much fun that was. I did remove the drivers seat to make more working room). Several attempts to make this line ended in disaster. Between the bubble flairs I made leaking & kinking the line trying to make the tight bends. I abandoned making the bubble & took a 1 ft piece of line a local shop to see if they would put a bubble in it. The mechanic did it for no charge (Kudo's to Monro Muffler & Brake), although I gave him 10 bucks to buy himself lunch. Once again I kinked the like trying to make the tight bends needed. I had been working on this for about a month, so I officially decided to give up & have it towed to a shop to repair. ( don't even ask me about the brake master that I installed that ended up being no good out of the box...) I let it sit for a week & I woke up on a Sunday and decided to give it 1 more go... I found another shop that was open on Sunday & had them, once again, put a bubble on a piece of line. To my surprise, no charge again! (Props to Firestone Car Care Center). Bought him lunch as well. Took my time bending the line & finally got it to fit without kinking!! I carefully tightened the outlet nut, but it still wept upon bleeding. 1/8 turn & voila!, no more leaks.
Ouch... Glad to hear you got it resolved.

Thanks for the recommendation for the Irwin Vise Grip. I've been using flare nut wrenches - my dad wasn't the best mechanic but one thing he verbally drilled into my skull was to only use Flare Nut wrenches around brake lines and nothing else.

Back