Breathing Life Into a Neglected '75

Getting a lot closer to road worthy now. If you need to get your car high in the air and don't have a lift, take a look at HF 12 ton jack stands. They'll hold up a house and will get any vehicle up 30" measured from the floor to the pinch weld. I bought 4 of them a few years ago, and I don't use them as often as the 3 or 6 ton stands, but when you need some height nothing beats them.

IMG_4732.jpg

IMG_4733.jpg

IMG_4734.jpg

IMG_4735.jpg

Getting a lot closer to road worthy now. If you need to get your car high in the air and don't have a lift, take a look at HF 12 ton jack stands. They'll hold up a house and will get any vehicle up 30" measured from the floor to the pinch weld. I bought 4 of them a few years ago, and I don't use them as often as the 3 or 6 ton stands, but when you need some height nothing beats them.

View attachment 64775

View attachment 64776

View attachment 64777

View attachment 64778
Home garage jealousy over your jack stands. But then, what jacks the car up that high to slip them under, certainly not my 1.5 ton Harbor Freight jack…

View attachment 64775

View attachment 64776

View attachment 64777

View attachment 64778
Interesting on the bleeder on the thermostat housing. I presume this was not an OE feature.

But then, what jacks the car up that high
Good point! No a little floor jack won't get the job done. It takes a 2-4 ton commercial model. Problem is they are large, very heavy, and expensive. I have an old Lincoln floor jack and even with that it takes a 4x4 to get up to 30" for these stands. On an X it's not an issue because most serious lifting is in the rear and done with a cherry-picker.

Interesting on the bleeder on the thermostat housing. I presume this was not an OE feature.
I think that was the take off for the water choke. I removed the nipple, but it sits very high in the overall scheme of things so I threaded it for a petcock in case it needs to be "burped".

I wanted to have this driving down the road this weekend. Goals are easy to set and harder to reach, so it's 98% there, but it will have to wait a few more days. Now down to filling the transmission, filling the cooling system, and add some fuel. I did hit the carbs with a shot of starting fluid and it lit right off for 2 seconds, so at least the timing belt is in the right spot and the base timing is good enough to get everything sorted. While it didn't drive down the road on time, it did come to life for a couple seconds for the first time in over 2 decades!

IMG_4738.jpg

IMG_4739.jpg

IMG_4740.jpg

IMG_4741.jpg

Last edited:
Man what a clean engine bay! No insulation on the firewall? What are specs on the motor, besides the carb setup?

Getting closer. First start with zero leaks. Tried to get it hot enough to get the fan to run, but can't get the temp over 180 even after a prolonged idle and it was around 87 degrees here today. Have to balance the carbs and get a timing light on it sometime during the week.

Man what a clean engine bay! No insulation on the firewall? What are specs on the motor, besides the carb setup?
Insulation is actually on the interior side. Inside of spare tire well and face of fuel tank. I'm not a fan of insulation in the engine bay. Hard to keep looking good. Engine is relatively mild; euro head, 223 cam, carbs and header. The "go" on a street 1300 is what it is, but at least it looks and sounds more than what it actually is........

Insulation is actually on the interior side. Inside of spare tire well and face of fuel tank. I'm not a fan of insulation in the engine bay. Hard to keep looking good. Engine is relatively mild; euro head, 223 cam, carbs and header. The "go" on a street 1300 is what it is, but at least it looks and sounds more than what it actually is........
Funny how a phone microphone picks up on particular parts of the sound. That is very ’tappety’ sounding.

Funny how a phone microphone picks up on particular parts of the sound. That is very ’tappety’ sounding.
Is that what that is? I was wondering, because I don’t hear that on the greenie…but I’ve never recorded with a phone - maybe I should….

I agree a much cleaner look, with a nicely painted fire wall, you build specs are close to mine. Except I have on carb.
Do you have the 1500 electric ignition?

Do you have the 1500 electric ignition?
No, it's the stock distributor with the vacuum retard removed and fitted with a Pertronix module. May have to re-curve it, but have to look at that when I get to it. I needed to pull the cam cover to re-check the tappet clearance cold which was spot on, set the timing, and balance the carbs - just one step at a time.

A weekend late, but much to the dismay of my neighbors, this little rocket is blasting around the subdivision for the first time in 21 years. Had a major delay with the hydraulics. Power bled everything and had good flow, but the clutch and brake pedals were weak. Had to enlist the wife and tried tapping lines and some creative pumping techniques that were done over several days. Finally got the last of the air bubbles broken loose and finally able to hit the road this morning. All the hydraulics were replaced with new components with the exception of the lines which were blown clean of old fluid. Everything was completely dry before the initial fill, so I would expect a little more agro than usual, but getting this completely bled was really over the top, even by X standards.

I did pull the case apart on the trans to reseal it. Everything looked fine and syncros were within spec, but you never know till you actually get a feel for what's going on. I was able to row through the gears several times and no hint of 3rd or reverse issues - the only thing the PO was correct about on the entire car. Have to turn attention to some minor sorting, but mostly it's on to the paint and body which is the last thing on the checklist. So far it's been about 1 1/2 years of off and on work since finding this on jack stands in a field. I have a good friend that has a paint booth, so I think I'll just get it prepped and shoot it myself. My regular painter is so backed up right now I won't be able to get it done for a very long time. At least the heavy lifting is over and moved this from a static project to a rolling project which is always a good thing.

A weekend late, but much to the dismay of my neighbors, this little rocket is blasting around the subdivision for the first time in 21 years. Had a major delay with the hydraulics. Power bled everything and had good flow, but the clutch and brake pedals were weak. Had to enlist the wife and tried tapping lines and some creative pumping techniques that were done over several days. Finally got the last of the air bubbles broken loose and finally able to hit the road this morning. All the hydraulics were replaced with new components with the exception of the lines which were blown clean of old fluid. Everything was completely dry before the initial fill, so I would expect a little more agro than usual, but getting this completely bled was really over the top, even by X standards.

I did pull the case apart on the trans to reseal it. Everything looked fine and syncros were within spec, but you never know till you actually get a feel for what's going on. I was able to row through the gears several times and no hint of 3rd or reverse issues - the only thing the PO was correct about on the entire car. Have to turn attention to some minor sorting, but mostly it's on to the paint and body which is the last thing on the checklist. So far it's been about 1 1/2 years of off and on work since finding this on jack stands in a field. I have a good friend that has a paint booth, so I think I'll just get it prepped and shoot it myself. My regular painter is so backed up right now I won't be able to get it done for a very long time. At least the heavy lifting is over and moved this from a static project to a rolling project which is always a good thing.
Congrats! The engine bay looks really excellent. Clearly some OCD going on with the clamps which is always nice to see :)

Glad you have finally had a chance to drive it.

I wanted to remove the rain tray because it greatly reduces the heat soak if the hot air has somewhere to go other than bumping up against a black metal cover. I've seen a number of ways to install stainless mesh, but on the early "flat" covers the easiest way I've found is to just gut the tray and rivet the mesh to the surround. I don't have to deal with inclement weather or rain, but I do have to wash it occasionally. I use a sheet of magnetic sign stock that's cut to size to keep the water off the engine. Doesn't work on the later cars with the curved openings, but is perfect on an early. I haven't done the final install because I need to refinish the cover first, so please excuse the blue tape.

2/11/23 - Finally warmed up enough to finally get this done! Photos added.

IMG_4752.jpg

IMG_4764.jpg
IMG_4763.jpg

Final Photos
IMG_5111.jpg
IMG_5112.jpg
IMG_5114.jpg
IMG_5115.jpg
IMG_5116.jpg

Last edited:
That looks cool, I did the same for my cold air intake air cleaner. In just one section of the engine cover.
Pretty happy with the mod so far. It'll look nice when the cover is refinished, but the real reason I did it was the side of the driveway where this gets parked has a tree that rains down leaves non-stop, so it keeps the big debris out of the engine bay.

Back