Breathing Life Into a Neglected '75

You mean go from the buss bar main to the negative post?
You use the battery terminal ends that support multiple wire attachment, so with your's I would go from the buss bar to the negative cable end. In post #318 above, I have a picture of a multi cable terminal end on the positive side. I don't have a dedicated ground buss on this car so only the positive end is shown, but on my K20 project that uses multiple buss bars, the negative and positive ends are both multi wire capable. If you don't want to invest in cable ends, you can drill a hole next to the buss, install a rivnut and bolt and as long as your ohm meter reads 0 between the bolt and the negative battery post you're good to go.

You use the battery terminal ends that support multiple wire attachment, so with your's I would go from the buss bar to the negative cable end. In post #318 above, I have a picture of a multi cable terminal end on the positive side. I don't have a dedicated ground buss on this car so only the positive end is shown, but on my K20 project that uses multiple buss bars, the negative and positive ends are both multi wire capable. If you don't want to invest in cable ends, you can drill a hole next to the buss, install a rivnut and bolt and as long as your ohm meter reads 0 between the bolt and the negative battery post you're good to go.
Regarding that #318 post photo - it shows your battery terminals positioned away from the firewall. But in an earlier photo, the Group 24vl battery is shown with the positive post beside the firewall. Confused...

Regarding that #318 post photo - it shows your battery terminals positioned away from the firewall. But in an earlier photo, the Group 24vl battery is shown with the positive post beside the firewall. Confused...
Reoriented properly when the new battery was fitted.

24-R I think is correct. The one shown in the car is a 26-R. Same basic dimensions except for the length. It's about 2" shorter and fits easily inside the battery box.

I have found that if you cannot find an "R" version of the battery, the stock battery cables are long enough to reach the other side without issue:

DieHard Battery - 2021_09_17.jpg

I've got a size 24 in there right now which is the stock size with the posts reversed but I would have gone for the 26 if they had them in stock. The 26 has less capacity but is lighter. The lower capacity is probably way more than the capacity of a 1974 24R so I'd go for the weight savings.

I'm still taking advantage of my JC Penney Lifetime Battery warranty so it limits my choices on where I can get a battery somewhat. Not a bad tradeoff for 40+ years of free batteroes.

I was just checking out battery dimensions and found that the size 34 has the same footprint as the 24 but is an inch shorter. The size 26 is also about an inch shorter and about 2 inches shorter in length. There are plenty of opportunities to find something lighter.

I was just checking out battery dimensions and found that the size 34 has the same footprint as the 24 but is an inch shorter. The size 26 is also about an inch shorter and about 2 inches shorter in length. There are plenty of opportunities to find something lighter.
I needed shorter because of the quick release on the negative terminal, which adds 1” in height.

Started this in July and just now getting around to it. Shot a coat of rust encapsulator over some trouble spots and followed up with some 2K primer. Going to probably just color coat the entire car while I'm at it. Not looking for a show car, I'll be happy if it's back to all one color after grafting in the that left front fender, and the other misc. rust repair areas.

IMG_5685.jpg

IMG_5686.jpg

IMG_5688.jpg

IMG_5689.jpg

what capacity is your compressor tank?
My current one is an 80 gal. vertical. `I've never lacked for air either with a conventional gun or HVLP, but for good performance I wouldn't go below 80 gallons. Compressors are one of those things you go as big as you can fit and afford, although a nice 2-stage unit has become very pricey unfortunately. The upside is if they are maintained they last virtually forever in a home environment.

Back