Build Thread for La Bambina Azzura.

Finally got around to CADing up two door parts. A friend gave me a set of door cars a while back for me to use as templates for Carbon Fiber versions. Scanned them and RE'd them. Another shared part. The Lock pin is shared with the Miura.

335020758_860128441743019_1131530738325767616_n.jpg

335343889_260472956311557_2683114214341651212_n.jpg

Finally got around to fixing up and installing the early grill on the X (courtesy of CnC79X19). I also took to opportunity to replace the rad fan with new 10" and cut down the bumper tubes and tow hooks. Also now that most of the front is done I have decided to dump the early style bumperetts i was going to install to design my own bumpers along the lines of early Lambo super thin bumpers.

View attachment 31878
Magnifique! as we say en français. Bravo!

What is the weight difference between the stock engine/trans and the 5 cylinder Engine and trans?
sorry for the long delay. Somewhere between 50 and 75 lbs depending on whos weights you believe. The 07k is surprisingly light for what it is. Relative to the older audi 5 cylinders it is really light. One another project we are replacing a 7A 2.3 NA 5 cylinder and just the long block weighs 150 lbs more than the 0K7 with full accessories, Turbo, manifolds and all.

The fuel tank will be replaced with a 10 gallon front mounted cell so the weight will be shifted 50/50.

Thought I should keep this build thread updated.

So finally finished the bumpers off. Took a few version to get something I am happy with. I have as set of Early FG copies but they are really poor quality and still to large IMO making the car look narrower. My first two designs were a little too thin. This version is just right to my eye. I designed them to be in line and sized with the marker lights . Front is narrow through the centre and widens at the front turn signal lights to the markers. Picture heavy!

View attachment 75635

View attachment 75636

View attachment 75637

View attachment 75638

View attachment 75639

View attachment 75640

View attachment 75641

View attachment 75642

View attachment 75643

View attachment 75644

View attachment 75645

I like that the front bumper includes a middle section to cover up the huge body seam across there. Just curious, was making that portion in the center narrower in order to clear the top of the grill assembly, or more of a styling statement?

I like that the front bumper includes a middle section to cover up the huge body seam across there. Just curious, was making that portion in the center narrower in order to clear the top of the grill assembly, or more of a styling statement?
It was both to cover the holes, and I did not want to cover the mounting screws for grill and it makes a nice detail where the bumper narrows the bertone tow hooks meet the grill. From the top the bumper sticks out like a chevron. I really like the narrow bumper but was too narrow on the sides, This is exactly the same size as the marker lights on the sides front and back. There is one more change from these pics the as I have integrated a little rise at the light buckets to fill little slot bellow the lights.

I will be making front and back "b" tow hooks at the 4 corners. The narrowing of the bumper kind of brings the tow hook, grill, and signals together.

image 1.jpg

My first two designs were a little too thin. This version is just right to my eye. I designed them to be in line and sized with the marker lights . Front is narrow through the centre and widens at the front turn signal lights to the markers.
I really like the narrow bumper but was too narrow on the sides, This is exactly the same size as the marker lights on the sides front and back.

I think a completely narrow version (like across the middle section, but the same all the way around) would look really good on a customized body with shaved side markers, shaved stock bumper mount holes, etc. There were some 60's exotic sports cars with very thin bumpers that looked great. That's what I was thinking of previously when I mentioned the classic chrome finish as a option.

I think a completely narrow version (like across the middle section, but the same all the way around) would look really good on a customized body with shaved side markers, shaved stock bumper mount holes, etc. There were some 60's exotic sports cars with very thin bumpers that looked great. That's what I was thinking of previously when I mentioned the classic chrome finish as a option.
We have to have markers in canada but i get what you mean. This is my third rework of the bumper on the front and every time i see something different. Once i have smooth molds to pull copies from I really want to try some chrome versions.

I think chrome would depend on the rest of the build. It would have to tie into other chrome accents and go along with a more "retro" theme, rather than a "modern" one. But I like both approaches.

What are these bumpers made of?

I think chrome would depend on the rest of the build. It would have to tie into other chrome accents and go along with a more "retro" theme, rather than a "modern" one. But I like both approaches.

What are these bumpers made of?

These prototypes are ASA and ABS final version will be Carbon Fiber on my car and will make FG copies.

Back