Changing rear factory speakers

Regarding rear shelf speakers. Some later models of X had those ovals cut out, others just had the shape stamped but not cut out. I don't know about the earlier models, the oldest one I've ever had was a 1500 '79. Regardless, there is very little room there for much of a speaker. And mounting something on top of the rear shelf also has drawbacks; possible obstruction of rear vision, and risk of injury in the event of a crash (especially if they are not secured properly, i.e. any sort of 'box' speaker).

Frankly I'm not completely convinced that the rear shelf is the best location for any speakers. But that's just personal preference.

Regarding rear shelf speakers. Some later models of X had those ovals cut out, others just had the shape stamped but not cut out. I don't know about the earlier models, the oldest one I've ever had was a 1500 '79. Regardless, there is very little room there for much of a speaker. And mounting something on top of the rear shelf also has drawbacks; possible obstruction of rear vision, and risk of injury in the event of a crash (especially if they are not secured properly, i.e. any sort of 'box' speaker).

Frankly I'm not completely convinced that the rear shelf is the best location for any speakers. But that's just personal preference.
My 74 has the ovals stamped but not punched out. When I got the car, there were no speakers that size worth listening to so I did not bother putting anything there. I suspect there are better speakers that size now. Before power windows, I think the largest speaker you could get in the door was a 4 inch - not great either. I ended up cramming 6.5" two ways into the kick panels which sounded pretty good. I've got a pair of high end 6" x 9" three ways that I could probably get in there now but not a high priority. If it was a daily driver, that would be another thing, but after two years back on the road, I've got less than 900 miles on it. Besides, I've got the dual DCNFs to listen to.

I just thought his install looked pretty good, but the idea of NOT opening the steel shelf to below is a better idea to me. Less road / engine noise. The other thread I’m following shows some nice little, custom enclosures. Above shelf.

Last edited:
not really. On the gas tank side there is very little clearance at the magnet. It would all depend on the speaker. There is not a lot of room. I removed the padding on the OEM shelf and made my own padded covers.
The grills looked good too - very nice

I just thought his install looked pretty good, but the idea of NOT opening the steel shelf to below is a better idea to me. Less road / engine noise. The other thread I’m following shows some nice little, custom enclosures. Above shelf.
I think there is an opening already in the metal. The part that is stamped but not cut is the fiber board with padding covered by vinyl.

I think there is an opening already in the metal. The part that is stamped but not cut is the fiber board with padding covered by vinyl.
On my '86 the metal shelf is stamped but not cut. But on other years I have had, it was cut.

Figured out the best, rear-shelf speaker concept. Problem: interfacing and power. But wow, what great sounding, minuscule footprint speakers these are. I imagine you can’t disconnect the speakers from the electronics, as that’s probably how they craft the frequency response, etc. But perfect in size.

5A8ED64E-C406-4703-8FB5-9394FD98BE04.jpeg

I will probably never have a sound system in my X. I prefer listening to the Lampredi singing. But if I change my mind I would build it with
  • A single 10 or 12 inch subwoofer in the spare wheel well mounted on a 22-25mm plywood baffle. Range 20-100Hz.
  • 6 inch full range speakers in the doors. Range 100-20000Hz
  • Whatever size on speakers that fits nicely on the rear shelf. They are close to the ears and will not play very loud (and low) any way, but it is important that they have good tweeters to provide brilliant treble. Range 100-20000Hz.
Most receivers offer 4x25W RMS which is good enough to feed door and shelf speakers. They also have active crossovers, and line out signal for feeding a separate power amp for the woofer.

I will probably never have a sound system in my X. I prefer listening to the Lampredi singing. But if I change my mind I would build it with
  • A single 10 or 12 inch subwoofer in the spare wheel well mounted on a 22-25mm plywood baffle. Range 20-100Hz.
  • Whatever size on speakers that fits nicely on the rear shelf. They are close to the ears and will not play very loud (and low) any way, but it is important that they have good tweeters to provide brilliant treble. Range 100-20000Hz.
Most receivers offer 4x25W RMS which is good enough to feed door and shelf speakers. They also have active crossovers, and line out signal for feeding a separate power amp for the woofer.
Yup, pretty much what I’m doing. I think your Lampredi sings a little more than ours?

this is so true. I put in rear deck speakers, 6" with 1`" tweeters in the foot wells, twin subwoofers in with a sub woofer amp, A proper head unit with android car and carplay for all those tunes and literally have never played a song while driving. That little motor does sound soo good. Best stereo install in an X is a better exhaust system. Wind where my hair used to be and a screaming exhaust note is where it is at.

this is so true. I put in rear deck speakers, 6" with 1`" tweeters in the foot wells, twin subwoofers in with a sub woofer amp, A proper head unit with android car and carplay for all those tunes and literally have never played a song while driving. That little motor does sound soo good. Best stereo install in an X is a better exhaust system. Wind where my hair used to be and a screaming exhaust note is where it is at.

Indeed. Removing the stereo from my X was the best improvements I ever made (this is assuming you are not using it as a GT).

So that big, Joying screen is just a waste of space then? lol

What gauge and material are these - 22 gauge aluminum? When you say "hand-shaped", does that mean making a form and then pressing together by hand, as in two pieces of wood?
These were 20 gauge perforated aluminum that I hand pounded over a wood shape with a small body hammer. I have since evolved a bit to use 3D printed forms and a shop press for other projects. For larger pieces I will most likely have shapes CNC'd out of MDF and press them. I am going to be using the same process for embossed heat shield material.

These were 20 gauge perforated aluminum that I hand pounded over a wood shape with a small body hammer. I have since evolved a bit to use 3D printed forms and a shop press for other projects. For larger pieces I will most likely have shapes CNC'd out of MDF and press them. I am going to be using the same process for embossed heat shield material.
Okay, thanks. 20 gauge and hand pounding for the win...

Back