Clearing out Parts $5.00 each

Not to be a pain but can you let me know about the clear lenses - are those for turn signals or ?? If so and they're not cracked, I'm interested. Also, do you have the gaskets and the screws for the Targa top hold down pieces? Do you know what year the yellow (amber) turn indicator is for?

What are the three engine bay covers over to the side? It might be one shield but I am uncertain what the other two adjacent are. I know I am missing one side but not sure which.

The one that has two edges lined with rubber flaps fills the space between the front of the engine and the chassis. The front C-shape is the cutout for the two main cooling pipes/hoses and the rear rubber-lined edge butts against the front of the oil pan. The longer one directly under the red lenses is the main accessory belt drive guard, very useful if the car is driven in the wet, to keep the belt(s) dry. The one to the right of that does not ring a bell, maybe used on earlier cars. The one to the left and below, with the bead roll style stampings, might be a '74 only radiator compartment divider which mounted to the rear of the rad.

Neither of my X's ever had any of those remaining by the time I owned them, therefore I didn't even know they existed. However rain (or any weather condition besides excessive heat for that matter) does not exist here, so maybe I'm better off without them...might allow better air circulation.

Not to be a pain but can you let me know about the clear lenses - are those for turn signals or ?? If so and they're not cracked, I'm interested. Also, do you have the gaskets and the screws for the Targa top hold down pieces? Do you know what year the yellow (amber) turn indicator is for?
Hi Larry,

The clear lenses are reverse light lenses. Unfortunately I do not have a spare gasket set for those targa holders, just the holders. And I think the one turn signal is from a 75-78.

Neither of my X's ever had any of those remaining by the time I owned them, therefore I didn't even know they existed. However rain (or any weather condition besides excessive heat for that matter) does not exist here, so maybe I'm better off without them...might allow better air circulation.

Personally, I subscribe to the idea that our cars were designed the way they are for very good reason and absent a proven, better reason for changing, my inclination is to leave it stock rather than change or omit.

An article published in Motor magazine from 12/73 ( https://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/who-is-giuseppe-puleo.10959/ ) reports that extensive full-scale wind tunnel testing in Stuttgart was done during the development of the X, and that "Particular attention was paid to the underside of the car and to interaction between the underside of the car and the road surface." The author reports that information in the article was obtained from direct interviews with "Ingenieur Puleo", meaning of course Giuseppe Puleo. As the panel between the chassis and the front of the engine does not seem to provide a "splash shield" type of function, one could posit that this panel is there more for either aerodynamics or cooling than for protection.

Personally, I subscribe to the idea that our cars were designed the way they are for very good reason and absent a proven, better reason for changing, my inclination is to leave it stock rather than change or omit.

An article published in Motor magazine from 12/73 ( https://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/who-is-giuseppe-puleo.10959/ ) reports that extensive full-scale wind tunnel testing in Stuttgart was done during the development of the X, and that "Particular attention was paid to the underside of the car and to interaction between the underside of the car and the road surface." The author reports that information in the article was obtained from direct interviews with "Ingenieur Puleo", meaning of course Giuseppe Puleo. As the panel between the chassis and the front of the engine does not seem to provide a "splash shield" type of function, one could posit that this panel is there more for either aerodynamics or cooling than for protection.

I share those thoughts. Didn't know the X was supposed to have shields under there - I'll have to keep an eye out for some or fabricate some.

The MR2 has splash guards under the car between the forward engine bay bulkhead and the engine. The guards also encorporate ducts to force air traveling beneath the car up through the engine bay and out of the vents on the engine cover.

This might aid in cooling, but a while ago someone on the MR2 forums did extensive studies on their car in a wind tunnel and found that the air picked up by those ducts and forced out of the engine cover helped reduce the intensity of the vortex generated by the flying buttresses over the rear of the car, thus reducing the lift generated by that vortex (and therefore increasing rear end grip at high speeds).

Since the X1/9 has flying buttresses (though they are shorter), I'd imagine a similar vortex is created over the rear. Could be the reason for those shields is to reduce the effect of that vortex.

I looked over my parts and am interesting in the coolant hose shield if it hasn't been pitched. Are the red and white taillight lenses for specific years and not broken in any way? If not, I will take a matching pair. I can pay through pay-pal. Shipping to 48080. DM me for the address. Thanks,

Back