Coolant Tube Issue

Mine definitely has the hole in the head.
This is why it was suggested you might have a 1500 head on your engine. For that matter you might have a 1500 engine? Just because the car originally came with a 1300 does not mean it still is. These engines are very prone to failures and get parts (including major components) replaced all the time. Often with whatever they could get a hold of. And more so, swapping a 1300 to a 1500 is considered a easy performance upgrade.

Either way, if the head is a 1500 then the new valves you installed might not be the right size. And that hole in the head should be plugged.

Given you had milkshake oil and steam exhaust, and the uncertainty about what parts were installed, and the need to plug the hole, I'd want to remove the head again and verify and correct everything. It will be much less costly to do it now then wait for a failure.

To plug the hole all you need is a common thread tap and a common plumbing plug. There are several threads describing it in detail.

This is why it was suggested you might have a 1500 head on your engine. For that matter you might have a 1500 engine? Just because the car originally came with a 1300 does not mean it still is. These engines are very prone to failures and get parts (including major components) replaced all the time. Often with whatever they could get a hold of. And more so, swapping a 1300 to a 1500 is considered a easy performance upgrade.

Either way, if the head is a 1500 then the new valves you installed might not be the right size. And that hole in the head should be plugged.

Given you had milkshake oil and steam exhaust, and the uncertainty about what parts were installed, and the need to plug the hole, I'd want to remove the head again and verify and correct everything. It will be much less costly to do it now then wait for a failure.

To plug the hole all you need is a common thread tap and a common plumbing plug. There are several threads describing it in detail.
How else do I check which engine I have?

The 1300 exhaust valves I purchased were correct - according to the head builder.

I believe Steve C has all of the engine identification information described in his "ultimate engine" post:

Otherwise I seem to recall a document with engine ID info in the Wiki? Maybe someone else remembers where.

See if any of these threads help:

A 1500 will have a number that starts with 138:

1670720556347.jpeg

A 1300 will have a number that starts with 128.

A 1500 will have a number that starts with 138:

View attachment 68744

A 1300 will have a number that starts with 128.
Thera are 1300’s with a 138 number as I was shown a few years ago. The number would be @138.A1 (there were others for other cars). The displacement was apparently slightly different from the early 1300 (1290cc) at 1301cc due to using the later crank bore diameter

Edit because I am still waking up and Steve caught my error below.

Last edited:
The displacement was apparently slightly different from the early 1300 (1290cc) at 1301cc due to using the later crank.
the difference in displacement was going from a standard 86mm bore size, to an 86.4mm bore size (the same as the 1500 engine) crank stroke was 55.5mm for both models of 1300 (and also the 1116cc version).

SteveC

the difference in displacement was going from a standard 86mm bore size, to an 86.4mm bore size the same as the 1500 engine, crank stroke was 55.5mm for both models.

SteveC
Ooop you are of course right. I just woke up and transposed what the dimensions related to in my mind as I was typing…

Thank you.

A compression check is simple to do and you only have to remove the plugs to do it. If the numbers are in an acceptable range and the car runs good then you can go drive it and enjoy it. Plenty of anal guys (no offense) here who just have to know exactly what is going on with a motor and what parts are on it.

The cylinder head could be original to the car, the date stamp says 77
313912020_10160879155301833_137144347031003081_n.jpg

I'm not a totally full bottle on what emission heads were used on various USA spec cars, but my first thought was it looked like a 1500 with the air port at the thermo end, but november 1977 production is definitely 1300 engines.

SteveC

Back