Drivetrain Swaps With Rear Upper Crossmember Mods

I would start conservatively. Cut out only what you need to fit the header plus some extra for insulation. Then make a decision from there.

I use my trunk more than I use the frunk due to its easy walk by position, ease of lifting and that there isn’t a targa top in the way. I suppose once there is a huge wing on it I might change my behavior :)

That car with the rebar bracing is pretty good evidence that just because someone made a brace like that, it doesn't mean they know what they are doing . Since the factory used a single box beam, I would think a replacement large diameter tube would be enough. The diagonals certainly wouldn't hurt.

I would start conservatively. Cut out only what you need to fit the header plus some extra for insulation. Then make a decision from there.

I use my trunk more than I use the frunk due to its easy walk by position, ease of lifting and that there isn’t a targa top in the way. I suppose once there is a huge wing on it I might change my behavior :)
That car with the rebar bracing is pretty good evidence that just because someone made a brace like that, it doesn't mean they know what they are doing . Since the factory used a single box beam, I would think a replacement large diameter tube would be enough. The diagonals certainly wouldn't hurt.

So, my overall approach was leaning toward cut out the crossmember, leaving the trunk seal flange & hinge area with a vertical flange that could be welded back to whatever cross tube layout I settle on. Vacillating on whether it will be more work to just remove material from the right where the crossmember will definitely interfere, or cutting it out & having a clean slate.

I was planning on just adding the upper tube unless I have to also cut the bracing I added for the trunk floor, since that already has some diagonal bracing. It may have to be removed to fit the new header.

I most definitely use the trunk all the time - I hadn't really thought about how much the Dallara wing will change that. He says it doesn't weigh enough to need additional lift support beyond the stock retainer, however it is a huge thing that will alter working around the back of the car...

Without a lot of heat shielding, having an exposed header or turbo anywhere near that rear trunk will generate massive heat. Great for an oven but no good for a trunk!

The passenger seat is my rear trunk. When you delete the rear trunk you generate a massive space for mechanical stuff. A spare tire delete gets you a lot of storage space too.

On the subject of trunk space, what on earth does anyone put in their X's trunks? And please don't say spare parts and tools for when it breaks down. That's just sad. :(

A sports car's sole purpose is for having fun driving. It is not a minivan, SUV, station wagon, family hauler, or even much of a passenger vehicle for that matter. Sports cars are for the driver and driving. I can see how some owners may want a passenger seat - although even that is not necessary for me. A glove box might be useful to keep your registration, for when you get pulled over having too much fun driving. Given the large size and weight if the X's targa top it is nice that they designed the frunk to store it. Although I think it should have been designed like the Porsche targa and fold up so it can go behind the seat. I once thought it would be a good idea to keep a car cover in my vehicle to protect it. But I came to realize that's not practical and not necessary. So beyond possibly a glovebox there's no need for any "storage", and certainly no need for a trunk. :D

On the subject of trunk space, what on earth does anyone put in their X's trunks? And please don't say spare parts and tools for when it breaks down. That's just sad. :(

A sports car's sole purpose is for having fun driving. It is not a minivan, SUV, station wagon, family hauler, or even much of a passenger vehicle for that matter. Sports cars are for the driver and driving. I can see how some owners may want a passenger seat - although even that is not necessary for me. A glove box might be useful to keep your registration, for when you get pulled over having too much fun driving. Given the large size and weight if the X's targa top it is nice that they designed the frunk to store it. Although I think it should have been designed like the Porsche targa and fold up so it can go behind the seat. I once thought it would be a good idea to keep a car cover in my vehicle to protect it. But I came to realize that's not practical and not necessary. So beyond possibly a glovebox there's no need for any "storage", and certainly no need for a trunk. :D
Dr Jeff, you never travel in your x19? Go to a car show/car and coffee/Fiat Freak out?

At least, I want a towel for when I drive into a big storm with my roof in the frunk and I had to stop at a red light/catch slow traffic,... Never happened to you?

Reactions: NEG

In my case, I definitely need trunk since I prefer to have my wife with me for company on long drives. Also, for most car shows, I want a lawn chair. On drives over an hour I do also carry a pouch with small wrenches and a small 1/4" drive socket assortment. Nothing sad about that, my attitude about that is, if I have it, I won't need it.

index.php

Without a lot of heat shielding, having an exposed header or turbo anywhere near that rear trunk will generate massive heat. Great for an oven but no good for a trunk!

I have sheets of the Volvo heat shield - I saved all those from the AWD S40 I used for my conversion. It is awesome stuff. I will be using that on the bay side of whatever crossmember/panel I make, assuming the depth is only a couple/few inches off the header.

This stuff:

IMG-20191214-163832.jpg

I have sheets of the Volvo heat shield - I saved all those from the AWD S40 I used for my conversion. It is awesome stuff. I will be using that on the bay side of whatever crossmember/panel I make, assuming the depth is only a couple/few inches off the header.

This stuff:

IMG-20191214-163832.jpg
That type of heat shielding is great, I love it. Sadly it's a bit difficult to find new, I only know of two companies that make it (for retail sale) and they are quite expensive. Might be a good thing to find at wrecking yards. It is relatively easy to access on Volvos? What would be a good model to look for this in a wrecking yard?

Dr Jeff, you never travel in your x19? Go to a car show/car and coffee/Fiat Freak out?

At least, I want a towel for when I drive into a big storm with my roof in the frunk and I had to stop at a red light/catch slow traffic,... Never happened to you?
Actually no. I don't travel out of town in any of my vintage cars, we don't have rain, and I can go to several cars and coffee events within a few minutes - without needing to take anything but a decent pair of walking shoes. For me car shows are exactly that, a show of cars....I go, I look at the cars, and I leave. ;)

This stuff:

IMG-20191214-163832.jpg
I used a roll of aluminum covered butyl to isolate the exhaust from the intercooler in the trunk. No idea yet how that is working but it’s something

Attachments

• 828D8A45-5758-4BC3-993C-720097C06795.jpeg
    828D8A45-5758-4BC3-993C-720097C06795.jpeg
    187.7 KB · Views: 94
  • FA29C68A-2EF9-4D7D-843C-3BFF44262C10.jpeg
    FA29C68A-2EF9-4D7D-843C-3BFF44262C10.jpeg
    381.4 KB · Views: 88
That type of heat shielding is great, I love it. Sadly it's a bit difficult to find new, I only know of two companies that make it (for retail sale) and they are quite expensive. Might be a good thing to find at wrecking yards. It is relatively easy to access on Volvos? What would be a good model to look for this in a wrecking yard?

It's up above the rear muffler in all Volvos - 2005 or newer are likely easier to access: C30, S40, V50, S60, V70. Also down the entire center tunnel

IMG-20200725-102157.jpg

IMG-8671.jpg

Back