Drivetrain Swaps With Rear Upper Crossmember Mods

Is your header completely fabricated or are you referring to the rest of the system?
The header is the usual shorty, but modified. The flange was cut off and re-welded to mount the header upside down. The rest of the system was fabricated to utilize as much of the available space as possible. The purpose was not related to any performance gain, but to provide as long a path as possible to hopefully reduce drone. Trying to shoehorn everything under the trunk floor requires very close bends and short runs, but since the rear trunk is of no concern on this build I decided to take advantage of the space. The build has stainless mesh between the tail lights, no trunk partition, and no rain tray to hopefully try and reduce the heat load. Everything is theoretical - when the time comes to hit the road I'll see if it all actually works as planned.

The flange was cut off and re-welded to mount the header upside down.
That makes sense, I didn't recognize it otherwise.

The build has stainless mesh between the tail lights, no trunk partition, and no rain tray to hopefully try and reduce the heat load.
For my turbo build I've done the same, also hoping to draw some heat out the back. In addition I've enlarged the side scoop openings and added bigger scoops to the outside, hoping to push more cool air into the bay.

jimmyx said:
The build has stainless mesh between the tail lights, no trunk partition, and no rain tray to hopefully try and reduce the heat load

^ This would be a good addition to "Turbo Systems for X1/9s" or "Side vents/ducts, snorkels, and now..." or maybe there is a thread that I'm not aware of.

When X #2 is acquired (hopefully very soon - stay tuned) I wish to explore these options and a couple of other air flow changes.

Sorry to walk on your thread, Hussein!

Hussein, this is where I cut mine. I will be sending you more pics as promised…

Attachments

• FE962EC5-88C5-47BD-96F8-6F0407B4006F.jpeg
    FE962EC5-88C5-47BD-96F8-6F0407B4006F.jpeg
    460.3 KB · Views: 133
This is how Abarth did it on their car back in the day.

That said, I think you could cut out the section of the existing structure you need to, leave the hinge pickup points and either box it into the trunk or add sufficient structure to the ends left to carry the loads into a tube.

I think you may end up very close to the front edge of the rear trunk lid with one of the tubes of the header which may neccessitate some changes there. Going back to the steel lid may be desirable in addition to carrying the load of the rear wing…

E1B56C2C-20DF-4EE2-9335-D293583B1ED6.jpeg
E093677E-8F7E-4AA2-838D-0FEA9A60132F.jpeg

This is how Abarth did it on their car back in the day.

That said, I think you could cut out the section of the existing structure you need to, leave the hinge pickup points and either box it into the trunk or add sufficient structure to the ends left to carry the loads into a tube.

I think you may end up very close to the front edge of the rear trunk lid with one of the tubes of the header which may neccessitate some changes there. Going back to the steel lid may be desirable in addition to carrying the load of the rear wing…

View attachment 51043View attachment 51044
Would love to see this with the spare out of the way. Looks like the right rear frame rail is MIA?

Would love to see this with the spare out of the way. Looks like the right rear frame rail is MIA?
Actually, I doubt it needs either frame rail past the rear crossmember. I've seen other race prepped Xs with them removed to save weight off the rear of the car.

These pics a re from way back in 2006. I believe it was an early Honda swap from the UK?? It seems all you need is some rebar. At least it looks like rebar, the pics are not very detailed.
FIACURA_engine_front_sm.jpg
FIACURA_engine_side_sm.jpg

Design wise I'd do similar to how the Abarth is, with a cross bar on top and a "V" from each end of it down to the middle of the lower crossmember. But that might depend on how your K20 mounts are laid out. If there is a main engine/trans mount somewhere along the bottom then I'd try to make the diagonals meet close to it.

It does look that way. If you look carefully through the straight on pic you can see they extended it below the spare given they didn’t need to dump exhaust on the right side.

It does look that way. If you look carefully through the straight on pic you can see they extended it below the spare given they didn’t need to dump exhaust on the right side.
Now I see it through the spare wheel opening. Figured there had to be something I was missing. Thanks for the eagle eye, Karl!

I'm leaning toward the Abarth style layout, but with the trunk (modified) reworked (thanks for the crisp pics, Karl). I like the tie-ins on each end - Cleaner than most of the others. I ordered some 1.75" tubing from Summit - but now I'm thinking most of the examples use around 1" tube...

Screen Shot 2021-08-20 at 10.07.20 PM.png

Back