Drivetrain Swaps With Rear Upper Crossmember Mods

I used a roll of aluminum covered butyl to isolate the exhaust from the intercooler in the trunk. No idea yet how that is working but it’s something

The problem with that is there is no air gap - the shield such as I pictured is designed with slight indents so there is always an air gap between it and the mounting surface. The butyl is gonna get hot, although the aluminum will reflect some of the heat. Looks basically the same as Dynamat.

Well I guess the wife's bikini could go in the glove box, but the beach towel would be cramped. She also packs a lot so for a day trip to the beach we'd have various drinks, and chips and extra towels a cooler with ice, probably a spare bikini and shoes in case she gets sore from the flip flops.... I actually got full goalie gear and my coaching gear in my X but my daughter had the leg pads in her lap and the stick poking out of the open roof on the way to the arena.

As for heat shielding material welding blankets would be pretty simmilar to the Volvo stuff no?

On the subject of trunk space, what on earth does anyone put in their X's trunks? And please don't say spare parts and tools for when it breaks down. That's just sad. :(

A sports car's sole purpose is for having fun driving. It is not a minivan, SUV, station wagon, family hauler, or even much of a passenger vehicle for that matter. Sports cars are for the driver and driving. I can see how some owners may want a passenger seat - although even that is not necessary for me. A glove box might be useful to keep your registration, for when you get pulled over having too much fun driving. Given the large size and weight if the X's targa top it is nice that they designed the frunk to store it. Although I think it should have been designed like the Porsche targa and fold up so it can go behind the seat. I once thought it would be a good idea to keep a car cover in my vehicle to protect it. But I came to realize that's not practical and not necessary. So beyond possibly a glovebox there's no need for any "storage", and certainly no need for a trunk. :D
My computer back pack. When I travel some tools. When I went on vacation several soft bags. When I go to events a couple of fold up chairs and other things which don’t care about a little heat.

My car isn’t just a track toy…some of us actually use it as a car which is fun to drive unlike all the SUVs and nearly all the pickup trucks out there carrying almost nothing and having exactly no fun to drive quotient

We all do different things with our Xs and obviously you have to set it up for how you use it. Mine is more like a pair of running shoes, minimalist and used for a nice sprint and then parked. My Miata was more of a do anything go anywhere sports car but it's sold and the spider will hopefully take over that chore.

The problem with that is there is no air gap - the shield such as I pictured is designed with slight indents so there is always an air gap between it and the mounting surface. The butyl is gonna get hot, although the aluminum will reflect some of the heat. Looks basically the same as Dynamat.
Can I cop out and say “it’s a work in progress”?

We all do different things with our Xs and obviously you have to set it up for how you use it. Mine is more like a pair of running shoes, minimalist and used for a nice sprint and then parked. My Miata was more of a do anything go anywhere sports car but it's sold and the spider will hopefully take over that chore.
I agree, everyone will have different views on their cars. I'm more like Carl when it comes to my X's; they are not "transportation" cars for me, just toys. I have other vehicles for various purposes - like traveling or going to events that require specific gear. I don't believe there is any one perfect 'do it all' vehicle...at least not for me. Which is why I've always had multiple ones for different uses.

Having a air gap is one way to insulate heat, but not the only way. Recall your high school physics and the three types of thermal transfer. But I agree some methods of insulating are better for certain applications or conditions. While some might be more efficient (thermal wise) for the given situation, they may have other trade offs - like weight, cost, shape, thickness, or other practical concerns. Perfect example is what the factory used on the X's rear trunk floor...it collected water and rusted out the surrounding panels. Ideally an assortment of various types of insulation will be used, each in a specific location where it is best suited. However what's ideal is not always realistic. It's fun to do a little experimenting to see what works. For the undercarriage in places where high heat exists (like over a muffler) that material like Volvo (and many others) use is a good choice. I've also seen other materials successfully used.

With respect to insulation the best material out there is ceramic fibre. Cut it to size, wrap it in stainless or aluminum foil, sealing with aluminum or stainless tape. Heat transfer is essentially zero. The downside of this stuff is it is carcinogenic, so using appropriate PPE is a must when handling it.

Back