Side vents/ducts, and now Snorkels!

RJ, nice job. That appears to be roughly the proportion I described; 1/3 above the upper body line, 1/3 below the lower body line. Looking at your actual mock-up it is a little bigger than I imagined. But I think by the time it gets some contour added to match the body profile and the finishing touches (including color matched paint) it will be right. I've been thinking about construction techniques. Vacuum forming with plastic sheet, 3D printing, foam mold and fiberglass, hammer sheet-metal, ?? What are you thinking?

Janis, I laughed at your comment "to get more dirt into the engine bay". Maybe RJ can tape it in the position you suggest and take more photos for comparison.

Mostly personal preference but I'm not certain about NACA ducts here. Not sure why, maybe I tend to associate them more with full race vehicles? Guess I'd have to see it, can you do any type of PhotoShop or sketch? (sorry but I sure can't).

Going back to the earlier discussion on cutting open larger air-ways into the side panels. I took another look at mine. At the moment the stock ducts are removed (inside and out) so I can get a good idea of what could be done. If those side pockets (either side of the engine bay) were altered as I described, the openings could easily be at least doubled in size without any compromise to structural components. So there should be no problem to get considerably more air flowing in with larger scoops.

Here's my design sketch for my build:
DSC03445.JPG

This is what I'm hoping to get close to. The front/rear bumpers are collapsed and tight to the body, I've played with shapes for the chin spoiler/air dam, also a little duck tail for the back to more abruptly cut turbulence and drag. More to the point though is the X1/9 ducts which lay nicely within the body lines and also the NACA duct up high. The NACA is partly because on the other side is the old fuel filler which gets deleted moving to the frunk instead. Also NACA's because 70's italian sports car with a big engine...

Nice sketch. I may have a set of stock X1/9 ducts available if you decide to add them to your Scorpion. And your front spoiler is a nice way to retain the basic design of the car but add a spoiler and help "fill-in" the lost area under the nose (post this in the other thread about X1/9 spoilers).

IMG_0689[1].JPG
IMG_0690[1].JPG
This is the side vents that are on my 77. I have no idea how they were made and the opening in the wide end goes towards the engine bay but lead no where useful. The stock side vents were removed although, oddly, the plastic plenums are still in place so basically this car has no side venting.

Carl,
It's a work in progress. The venting was waiting for you. I have NO idea why they did that. Also, they had spend a lot of time removing and cleaning the holes of the side lenses. The removal could make sense in term of racing. But filling the holes is purely cosmetic. Have fun!

Ack, I didn't even notice that mod! Something looked odd about the side of the car besides the funky vent but it never clicked. Currently the passenger side vent opens to the spare tire well. I'm assuming the driver side vent just opens to the gas tank pocket.

View attachment 8382 View attachment 8383 This is the side vents that are on my 77. I have no idea how they were made and the opening in the wide end goes towards the engine bay but lead no where useful. The stock side vents were removed although, oddly, the plastic plenums are still in place so basically this car has no side venting.

Why???? I can see making alternate functional vents, but to put all that time & effort into a cosmetic vent that serves zero purpose??? At the very least they could have made brake cooling ducts - not that those have any value back there :D

but to put all that time & effort into a cosmetic vent that serves zero purpose???
Ya, but look at just about any "custom" car. Tons of time and effort solely for cosmetic reasons with zero purpose.

Although this is certainly not my taste, the amount of work involved is staggering:

maxresdefault.jpg

Makes the X's non-functional NACA ducts seem rather trivial.

Thanks Carl for adding your car to this thread. Seeing the shaved stock side-vents inspires me to pursue (eventually) my thought of making larger custom ducts for mine. But functional. In fact improved function, to go along with a customized look.

I may have mentioned it before, you can buy NACA ducts in various configurations from Pegasus Racing and I could see fitting one where the stock vents are just for a custom touch and retaining the functionality.

Another thought I had today whilst swapping out the dog one. On the later lids, there is a side vent. I’m thinking of opening up the slot and adding a “scoop”.

Did this come up already? I don’t recall?

Underneath, there is a lid seal that separates that end section, and there is a circular hole in the lower inner panel that’s aligned with my K&N Xtreme cone filter (has intake in the end of the cone as well as circumference ). I’m thinking a discreetish side scoop on the lid would feed air into the filter. I already have a snorkel funneling air from the left scoop pointing up at the filter from underneath.

Something along these lines. Leading contour will streamlined to mimic air intake scoop sweep below it (not shown)

1_E4_BF0_F9-_B354-4867-_B5_AF-_E831710_E815_E.jpg

Cardboard mock-up

537590_C5-8_D35-4_E46-_B276-_A92_FB75_EC686.jpg

6_BC58_B6_C-_C7_C3-475_D-_A0_CA-5_FB005_A91_C34.jpg

Side area it vents now, with aperture visible

3_E6494_C5-_BAA6-4_B61-8285-_A960_C9307_FDE.jpg

I like that idea. And the size/proportion of your mock-up looks good. It should be functional with the location of your air filter. Perhaps open up that hole a little more (between the left-side chamber and where the filter is)?

This sort of leads us into the discussion of "snorkels", which I intend to cover. Not sure if it should be a new thread or an extension of this one. But for now I'll show some pics:

91_mr2typetairscoops3.jpg

$_35.JPG

engine_hood30.jpg
engine_hood29.jpg

engine_hood06.jpg

atanhybreidusce.jpg

Abarth 1.jpg

13 - Copy.png

f0314e445409da39ac62920a5524eb19.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Interesting option, @lookforjoe. I also like the bigger snorkels. I always had a thing for the Fiero one. Much like a modern version of the Abarth one. Well, it's not like the Fiero was inspired by our Italian stallion!:D

Last edited by a moderator:
I was briefly thinking about this with all the intercooler talk on the other thread. What if you made a roof wide scoop over the roll bar section that directed air down through a big hole/s in the roll bar with the rear b-pillar buttresses boxed and sealed with a panel of perspex ducting into the engine bay. Yeah you'd have two rear panes to look back through but one hell of a big scoop! It might spoil the lines of the car at the roof and the roof panel might need "surgery" but needs must...

Another thought I had today whilst swapping out the dog one. On the later lids, there is a side vent. I’m thinking of opening up the slot and adding a “scoop”.

Did this come up already? I don’t recall?

Underneath, there is a lid seal that separates that end section, and there is a circular hole in the lower inner panel that’s aligned with my K&N Xtreme cone filter (has intake in the end of the cone as well as circumference ). I’m thinking a discreetish side scoop on the lid would feed air into the filter. I already have a snorkel funneling air from the left scoop pointing up at the filter from underneath.

Something along these lines. Leading contour will streamlined to mimic air intake scoop sweep below it (not shown)

Cardboard mock-up

How would you make this so the engine lid could easily be raised? It appears like that would impact at about 45 degrees. I think a little bit of tweaking and it could almost match the OEM angle or at least close enough. You could also use Dzus tabs to make the cover scoops easily removable.
https://www.google.com/search?q=dzu...3cHaAhUC2oMKHcMRBSoQ_AUICygC&biw=1517&bih=707

I like it. This would also be less invasive to the design then anything else imho.

I remember reading somewhere that the FAZA scoop would be mounted on a sliding mount so you could slide it back off the engine cover before pivoting up the cover.

These look like a really slick idea without modifying the original design that much.
The X could handle those rather well...

index.php
index.php

What if you made a roof wide scoop over the roll bar section that directed air down
I saw a couple pictures that made me think similar ideas. One is the "roof" scoop on the Ford RS2000, but it does not connect directly to the engine bay...just directs the air toward it:
download.jpg

Another is the roof scoop on some supercars. This could be a two-piece design; the "snorkel" on the roof panel, and the downward ducting separate on the engine lid, so the two meet-up when both are in place but either can be removed. As you say, it would have to be a removable engine cover rather than hinged:
fab-tunes-mclaren-570s-has-roof-scoop-amg-gt-gets-widebody-kit_2.jpg

Jack-Darton-8.jpg

Back