FFO 2022 the old guys will attend

Well, maybe next freak out we’ll have 3 Abarth swapped cars to trailer down…Tony, you’ll have a hell of a challenge with that one…🤣 and….since I have a smart phone, I can keep you two gentleman on the straight and narrow path. 😉

Event day. A short drive to a park in The Woodlands community and on to the show field. Lots of rules here in this engineered community. Once on the field we had to stay until 2:00 PM or get fined. Since it was in the park there were a lot of locals walking through and taking pictures and asking questions. I was able to put my drone up and take some pictures. No Group Picture this year. The way the cars were laid out there really wasn't a front or back as all cars faced the sidewalk around the park where we were on the grass. The day was about 88 degrees but it is dry here which a help for comfort and being outside all day. On the down side Bob and I could not vote. My email is on my home PC that I signed up for the event and I don't have a cell phone. Bob only has a flip phone, so we drove a lot of miles to attend but were squeezed out on that one. One other thing was that there were no printed maps, everything was done on smart phones and again, how can I drive by myself and look at a phone the same time. GPS way points would be a solution. We got lost a few times on the drives. The night ended up a the Dosey Doe bar and grill, awards and a band afterward. Bob and I left on the first bus back it was only a 15 minute drive back to the hotel.
View attachment 66539

TonyK with Bob Martin in the Woodlands Texas.
Holy crap is that actually a Toyota MR2 on the show field? Gah!

Largest collection of 124 Sport Coupes in decades in North America, wow!

Holy crap is that actually a Toyota MR2 on the show field? Gah!

Bwhaha! So many interpretations.

BE19E789-86A0-44C6-B83C-CDD8FA455976.jpeg

If find it amusing you have and can pilot a drone but don’t have a cell phone.
The drone is a GoPro Karma that has it's own station and does not use a Cell phone. Besides, I figure it is just a passing fad that I am already ahead of. I just don't like to be bothered nor do I text. Call me or email me I am fine with that when I am home.

TonyK With Bob Martin in the Woodlands Texas

Sunday breakfast and raffle. An egg bisket with bacon called a boxed breakfast. Bob said it was better than the army and was happy with it. A few presentations, silent auction and then a raffle that Bob and I saw nothing coming to us for this entire event. Bob figured that the raffle tickets we bought someone took the other half of the tickets and threw them in the trash. Once done we headed to the truck and trailer and loaded our cars. Bob still has a cranking gremlin in his build and now the turbo charger after cooler pump will not run. We did some trouble shooting and know what works and what doesn't we will leave it at that. Wheels up 7:00 AM Central time heading to Radcliff Kentucky.

Abarth replica box sold for $170USD.
IMG_0581.JPG
IMG_0582.JPG
IMG_0584.JPG
IMG_0587.JPG

TonyK With Bob Martin in The Woodlands Texas.

Bwhaha! So many interpretations.

View attachment 66564
This is actually my friend Paul, he was one of the founders of a Facebook group called (you guessed) the broken Fiat club, along with some of my other friends. It's mostly New500s in the group, but lots of people for sure. There was a forum too but it fell out of favor with the new 500 community who'd rather use Facebook for whatever reason.

Upi sure you are in Texas? No guns on the tabale?
This is actually my friend Paul, he was one of the founders of a Facebook group called (you guessed) the broken Fiat club, along with some of my other friends. It's mostly New500s in the group, but lots of people for sure. There was a forum too but it fell out of favor with the new 500 community who'd rather use Facebook for whatever reason.
Great name, I had a broken 500, I should have joined.

In Canada, all semi auto's are prohibited. That is what a liberal/ deocrat government has ruled.

Apparently Tony was unaware of our semi-auto handgun loan policy. When you cross the border, just ask customs for a loaner pistol. If nobody is there to help you, there's usually a basket full of them at the end of the counter. Just take one and return it when you're leaving.

Probably in a long time, hopefully not for a long time to come. Once AC & one BC, all of them were very nice cars. Nice inspiration for my BCs I left at home, if I can say that on an X1/9-centric forum.

Apparently Tony was unaware of our semi-auto handgun loan policy. When you cross the border, just ask customs for a loaner pistol. If nobody is there to help you, there's usually a basket full of them at the end of the counter. Just take one and return it when you're leaving.
I'm compelled to say Roll Tide despite it being the wrong state....since that basically sums up Alabama too.

Except here you probably have to meet certain criteria as a person to get access to the free gun basket. I'll leave it at that lol.

I'm compelled to say Roll Tide despite it being the wrong state....since that basically sums up Alabama too.

Except here you probably have to meet certain criteria as a person to get access to the free gun basket. I'll leave it at that lol.
Bob and I have arrived in Radcliff Kentucky and Bob and I are doing well. On the last night I had the opportunity to have dinner with Tim Beeble, Rob Raynor and his wife Jennifer and her sister, forgive me I have forgotten her name. Dinner was in the Woodlands down town in a very nice restaurant that has back lite menus and even your bill comes in a back lite folder. The trip from Bob's to and from the woodlands cost us $510 in diesel, the truck averaged 16 miles per gallon. Getting back here in Radcliff I noticed some wheel noise on the left front of the truck. Bob and I will look at it tomorrow.

I have great picture of Bob Raynor and Jennifer but the files are too big I will reduce them when I get home and post then.

TonyK at Bob Martin's in Radcliff Kentucky.
IMG_0619.JPG
IMG_0620.JPG
IMG_0621.JPG
IMG_0623.JPG
IMG_0630.JPG

Last edited:
I am currently at Bob Martin's and we have unloaded Bob's car and repositioned my car on the trailer. I then looked into the front wheel noise and found that inboard side of the rotor was spaulted and the brake pad on that side was down to steel. For the time being I purchased and installed new brake pads and will deal with the rotor latter when I get home. I meant to take some pictures, but forgot to. Anyway just hanging out with Bob and we have a wiring gremlin to resolve on his car tomorrow. Wheels up for me 7:00 AM Friday and a stop at Midwest Bayless to drop off some items and then home to Grimsby Ontario.

I am currently at Bob Martin's and we have unloaded Bob's car and repositioned my car on the trailer. I then looked into the front wheel noise and found that inboard side of the rotor was spaulted and the brake pad on that side was down to steel. For the time being I purchased and installed new brake pads and will deal with the rotor latter when I get home. I meant to take some pictures, but forgot to. Anyway just hanging out with Bob and we have a wiring gremlin to resolve on his car tomorrow. Wheels up for me 7:00 AM Friday and a stop at Midwest Bayless to drop off some items and then home to Grimsby Ontario.
Safe travels Tony! :)

Safe travels Tony! :)
Thanks Jim.

Bob and I spent a little time today resolving his no crank situation and I will share what the issue was on the Abarth Swap. When the concept of swapping a Fiat 500 Abarth engine into the Fiat X1/9 platform Bob says, I want push button start. Nice but the Abarth 500 uses a key start. Since Bob wanted it I thought I would build it which requires latching relays, interposing relays and an interrupt relay all to simulated the key switch. I built it, it works, no issues. When I got to Bob's build he changed his mind and said, I want a standard X1/9 Key start, so I had to redesign the circuit to work not with the Abarth key switch but with the X1/9 Key Switch. So using the X1/9 key switch that energizes the starter solenoid became an issue. Voltage drop due to long length from the key switch to the back of the X1/9 to the starter solenoid was different than the 3 feet from the key to the Abarth solenoid in the stock Abarth car. In Bob's build I installed 2, 9 conductor 20 AWG cables from the front of the car passanger compartment to the rear of the car just in case we ran into some problems. I took 2 wires from the spare 9 conductor cable and ran them from the key switch to the crank interrupt relay to increase the conductor path in the crank circuit. There is a noticeable improvement.

On another note both my car and Bob's I have assembled a manual along with a USB stick of picture and the contents of the manual. Bob has not read it, but my nephew Mike has for his build. This is a custom build and understanding the build, pitfalls and what is needed helps the owner understand what is involved in the build. I have attached a few pictures of the manual and the starting circuit used I Bob's build.

Vacation almost over. TonyK at Bob Martin's in Radcliff Kentucky.
IMG_0632.JPG
IMG_0633.JPG
IMG_0634.JPG
IMG_0637.JPG
IMG_0644.JPG
IMG_0645.JPG
IMG_0632.JPG

When I got to Bob's build he changed his mind and said, I want a standard X1/9 Key star
The only real surprise is that Bob didn't request an in-dash bourbon dispenser. Bob says he doesn't visit Xweb, so I figured it was safe for me to throw that idea out there. :)

The only real surprise is that Bob didn't request an in-dash bourbon dispenser. Bob says he doesn't visit Xweb, so I figured it was safe for me to throw that idea out there. :)
Thanks Jim, Bob said he wasn't smart enough at the time to think about it, but it is a great idea. I really don't need any more work on this car.

Bob said it was nice to meet Erik the XWeb monitor at Freak Out in Texas this year.

TonyK. At Bob Martin's in Radcliff Kentucky.

Thanks Jim, Bob said he wasn't smart enough at the time to think about it, but it is a great idea. I really don't need any more work on this car.

Bob said it was nice to meet Erik the XWeb monitor at Freak Out in Texas this year.

TonyK. At Bob Martin's in Radcliff Kentucky.
Enjoy the ride home. MWB isn’t exactly on the way but a very worthwhile side trip.

That must be a great manual, well worth a read. That is some serious documentation.

All the best and safe travels.

Okay the first thing I wanted to do was post this picture that I needed to reduce the resolution. I took this picture and by mistake it was on a 5 feature picture setting. I really think this black and white is great of Bob and Jenifer looking at the back lit menus.

I made it home about an hour ago. More to the story but that will wait until tomorrow.

Karl that is just the text. There are hundreds of pictures and also hand sketches of the build components. While I was a Freak Out I was approached by 2 different individuals that were willing to purchase the manual and pictures. I discussed this with Matt Brannon for direction and his thoughts in dealing with this matter. His direction was sound and I expect to follow that. The manual goes with the build which was documented with notes of trial and error and daily progress. If you were to read the manual, look at the pictures and the notes the entire concept is covered with what works and does not work and anyone should be able to do a build. The deciding factor will be on the person's skill set, what they can do themselves and what they need to have made. The biggest part of any swap is to consider if it is worth it to YOU! In my mind it is, Bob will agree, but to some I am sure it falls short.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

IMG_0602.JPG

Enjoy the ride home. MWB isn’t exactly on the way but a very worthwhile side trip.

That must be a great manual, well worth a read. That is some serious documentation.

All the best and safe travels.
Karl, I live in Grimsby Ontario Canada and go through Columbus Ohio, Matt is just off of the I 270 bypass, I needed to get fuel anyway so I stopped at the Sheet's at Stelzer and Johnston Rd. Matt was not there, but the trip dragged on from 11 hours to just under 14. More in my final post.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

Back