Melted Piston.

Crank & Head arrived today :)

IMG_2953_zps9e84e79d.jpg

Will need cleaning up, installing 33mm exhaust valves, block off EGR, make adaptor plate for the T/stat housing, add a thermal timer port & weld a bung for the heater pipe off the front of the head.

IMG_2954_zps8ecec7a2.jpg

Stock pistons & rods

IMG_2957_zps6dbef3fe.jpg

H-beams are marginally lighter

IMG_2956_zps97b77e48.jpg

Crank will be cleaned & checked, so I can order bearings.

Can you weigh the cranks too? my scales don't go high enough...but the crank is lighter than the 1500 too.

You can take a fair bit of weight out of the gudgeon pin, if you taper bore in from the ends it doesn't affect the total strength, tough steel though and difficult to work.

All small amounts but off the reciprocating mass it's all good.

You've got a light flywheel too?

SteveC

Differences between heads that need attention:

T/stat housing flange

IMG_2968_zps72cc28d3.jpg

EGR port & no thermal timer port. I already moved my gauge sender to the t/stat housing, so I can use the sender port in the new head for the thermal timer.

IMG_2969_zps93c3cc8a.jpg

heater port

IMG_2970_zps5e6de432.jpg

started on the injector feed relief

IMG_2971_zps3af53249.jpg

Adaptor flange for T/stat housing

IMG_2973_zpsc9999c79.jpg

IMG_2974_zpsacd824c4.jpg

each side is contoured as smoothly as possible to feed from one side to the other

head side

IMG_2975_zpsf86059af.jpg

housing side

IMG_2976_zpscc7bb27d.jpg

Hussein,

If you look a the komar 1806 thread you'll see the thermo hsg adaptor he made up... similar to yours but made from thicker material, and he included a threaded hole into the side, which then had a fitting for the heater hose put in, which I though was a neat way to do it.

EGR port makes your head (from the research I've done) from a Punto 90 ...not that it should make any difference to output, just doesn't look quite so neat.

Have you found a suitable cam yet??

SteveC

Going to stay with the 35/75 - (10.3 lift, 231 duration) - with the FI, I will have problems with a more aggressive cam.

I feel better about keeping the heater port at the front of the head, curious if his heater works well with the feed from the back instead of the front.

Basic porting is done, I shaved the intake valve guides & took out a little from the roof where it was uneven on either side of the guide.

IMG_2972_zpsac58749e.jpg

Removed the EGR flange. It's back at the machine shop, just waiting for the exhaust valves from Obert so he can get going with it.

EDIT: can't find gaskets for the oil pump sections. Anyone used anerobic here?

Last edited:
Just a little PO'd at the moment. I ordered the valves & other items from Obert back on the 22nd, got a UPS /shipped/tracking notice last Friday saying delivery on the 4th- now, UPS tracking says the shipment didn't even get scanned until 10/01, then sat for 2 business days, now due here on the 8th.

I ordered O-rings from them last Wed, just got the PayPal request for shipping costs this afternoon (8 days later), which sort of implies they haven't yet been shipped.

Maybe the warehouse guys were on vacation?

I ordered O-rings from them last Wed, just got the PayPal request for shipping costs this afternoon (8 days later), which sort of implies they haven't yet been shipped.

Additional issue was with PP - for some reason, the invoice request from Obert was processed as an eCheck - which is NOT the way my account is set - by default it is direct from checking.

Package was actually picked up by UPS on Tuesday.

Clusterf*k all around.

Just a little PO'd at the moment. I ordered the valves & other items from Obert back on the 22nd, got a UPS /shipped/tracking notice last Friday saying delivery on the 4th- now, UPS tracking says the shipment didn't even get scanned until 10/01, then sat for 2 business days, now due here on the 8th.

Hussein,
I am very surprised you posted this. As you remember, you called & spoke to both Brookie & myself yesterday afternoon about this order. Brookie was under the impression that you understood what happened, but it's obvious from your post that there is some confusion.

You placed your order on Sunday September 22. Since Brookie & myself had JUST gotten back from our Italian vendor trip, and the fact that we processed all web store orders placed while we were in Italy in the order in which they were recieved (this is part of the note that was sent to you automatically when you placed your order "This requires us to be closed until Monday September 23rd at 1 pm Pacific time. All orders will be processed after then in the order in which they were received."), I felt pretty good that I sent you the Pay Pal request for shipping on September 24th at 3:22 pm Pacific time.
You promptly sent that payment on Wednesday the 25th, and Brookie processed your order for shipping the same day. Then later we got a notice from Pay Pal that you had paid your shipping charges by eCheck, and we were instructed by Pay Pal NOT to ship your order until after your eCheck had cleared. So Brookie pulled your order from the outgoing UPS shipments and held it until Pay Pal showed your payment as cleared. We got the notice from Pay Pal that your eCheck cleared at 5 pm Pacific time on Monday September 30th, so your box was shipped on Tuesday October 1st.

I can forward you copies of all correspondence from Pay Pal if you require.

As Brookie suggested yesterday afternoon, you may want to consider placing your orders on our secure web store with payment by credit card. Then we can process & ship your order without the inherent delay caused by Pay Pal. Or an even further delay from payments made by eChecks, that Pay Pal obviously does not like!
And please remember that if you call & place an order with me while our warehouse is open, things happen even faster! Brookie and I are here from 1 to 6 Pacific time on weekdays, so for you in New York, thats up to 9 pm?

As for delays once the box was in the UPS system, just let me know when you physically receive the box and I can check with UPS if the delay was caused by them, or not. If it was caused by them, I can ask them to refund the shipping charges.

Chris Obert

Dan,
I am also very surprised by your post. Yes, you placed your order on Wednesday September 25th, and you did send Brookie authorization to ship your o-rings by US Post on the 25th. That all worked GREAT!
But because of our HUGE backlog of orders placed after we reopened on the 23rd, Brookie was finally able to get to your web store order (in the order in which it was received) on Monday September 30th. She sent you a pay pal request for the shipping charge at 5:47 pm Pacific time.
Because she had heard nothing, on Thursday October 3 at 3:52 pm Pacific time she sent you a second Pay Pal request for the shipping charges. Thank you for your payment at 6:49 pm Pacific time, Brookie tells me your envelope will go out by US Post in today's post.

Dan, we ARE the warehouse guys, and we were not on vacation.

Keep in mind that if your order would have been placed and paid for by credit card on our secure web store, or by calling me here at the warehouse, your order would have gone out in the post for Monday September 30th. If not sooner!

Chris Obert

The Monday PayPal request is where it must have gotten off the track, as I don't have any record in email or in my PayPal acc't of a postage request on Monday, just the second one on Thursday.

My posting tagline is "Waitin' on parts" so a little hiccup here and there is not going to get my panties in a too big of a bunch:wink2::):laugh:

One thing that I think could be made a bit more clear is the difference between PayPal and Credit Card with respect to shipping charges. I gather that if I place an order on the site and pay the parts-only figure with a CC, that first payment stands as authorization for you to make a second charge on the CC for the shipping costs once they have been determined without any further action or approval by the customer. Based on my most recent order paid thru PayPal, I also gather that if using PP to make the parts purchase, the customer has to assent to a separate and distinct PP request for funds sent from your staff to the customer to pay the shipping charges once they have been determined. Is that pretty much an accurate description?

The last time I ordered from Chris I got free shipping...by taking delivery at BFI! :thumbsup:

I've also ordered for stuff shipped via the mails, and I cannot recall any problems. This sounds to me a like a "two-off" problem that was mostly the result of Chris and Brookie being out of town trying to source more parts for us end users.

Also, you left coasters have the same problem us right coasters have when we order from the vendors who are on the opposite side of the country...it takes a few days or costs a pretty penny to get the parts.

Kind of goes with the territory of trying to keep these older rides on the road.

Anyway, it sounds like in both cases the posts were simply more of the "anxious for my stuff to get here" variety than being really upset with the vendor. Until Chris responded, I was under the impression that both of you were venting about the shipping Co, not the shipper.

Hussein,
I am very surprised you posted this. As you remember, you called & spoke to both Brookie & myself yesterday afternoon about this order. Brookie was under the impression that you understood what happened, but it's obvious from your post that there is some confusion.

Pay Pal that you had paid your shipping charges by eCheck, and we were instructed by Pay Pal NOT to ship your order until after your eCheck had cleared. So Brookie pulled your order from the outgoing UPS shipments and held it until Pay Pal showed your payment as cleared. We got the notice from Pay Pal that your eCheck cleared at 5 pm Pacific time on Monday September 30th, so your box was shipped on Tuesday October 1st.

I can forward you copies of all correspondence from Pay Pal if you require.

As Brookie suggested yesterday afternoon, you may want to consider placing your orders on our secure web store with payment by credit card. Then we can process & ship your order without the inherent delay caused by Pay Pal. Or an even further delay from payments made by eChecks, that Pay Pal obviously does not like!
And please remember that if you call & place an order with me while our warehouse is open, things happen even faster! Brookie and I are here from 1 to 6 Pacific time on weekdays, so for you in New York, thats up to 9 pm?

As for delays once the box was in the UPS system, just let me know when you physically receive the box and I can check with UPS if the delay was caused by them, or not. If it was caused by them, I can ask them to refund the shipping charges.

Chris Obert

In the future I will try to place orders by phone or with credit card.

I'm still waiting to hear from Paypal as to why they processed my direct from checking payment as an eCheck, I certainly did not request that.

Clearly given that shipping is calculated & billed separately on your site, it makes more sense to use a credit card. I generally use Paypal because I was under the assumption that payments from my bank account are processed faster than CC payments

Never had a problem

With Chris Obert and ordering. Just wanted to stick up for him. Tis unfortunate when these things spill out
Spread the love guys

Crank journals all measured out at standard sizing, so I ordered std. main, rod & thrust washers on Friday.

The crank has small press in caps for the oil galleys, so those will be removed for thorough cleaning of the crank & grubs screws will be inserted.

Can't find any listing for oil pump sandwich plate gaskets, so I'll just go with anaerobic sealer for that.

fiatplus*aol.com wrote:
quote=Dan Sarandrea (Phila);185598] One thing that I think could be made a bit more clear is the difference between PayPal and Credit Card with respect to shipping charges. I gather that if I place an order on the site and pay the parts-only figure with a CC, that first payment stands as authorization for you to make a second charge on the CC for the shipping costs once they have been determined without any further action or approval by the customer. Based on my most recent order paid thru PayPal, I also gather that if using PP to make the parts purchase, the customer has to assent to a separate and distinct PP request for funds sent from your staff to the customer to pay the shipping charges once they have been determined. Is that pretty much an accurate description?[/quote]
Dan,
All web store orders paid for with pay pal get an immediate confirmation email of their order that states right on the front page:
Order status: Not Finished
Paypal customers: We will contact you with a shipping amount.

And then after the list of items ordered, it says:
Paypal customers: The cost to ship your product has not yet been added to your order, information on shipping costs will follow.

As best as we have been able to determine, these two sentences on every web store order confirmation (paid by pay pal) usually works. Of course, we always get the odd client that thinks all orders should be shipped free of charge. But I get those clients most often on the phone.
Clients that use pay pal for payment and provide us with a bad email address obviously delays the order (And I know from the bounce that they did not get the order confirmation). We try to contact the client by phone, but if that doesn't work we send them a letter in the mail...

So, if you pay with pay pal, we contact you for the additional fees to ship the order. This usually adds a minimum of one working day between when we download the order, and when it gets shipped. And it adds a huge amount of in house processing time to every pay pal order. Our clients often have their own personal reasons for using pay pal, and we try to accommodate them as needed.
If you use a credit card, and are NOT an international delivery address, we charge your card the total amount at the time of processing the order (not before), and usually ship the same day. Since we only charge exactly what UPS charges us for shipping (AND in more than 99% of our orders the client specifies UPS as the delivery method), we feel we are authorized to add the shipping amount to the total.

That's it!
Of course there are a million exceptions, and it seems clients can come up with new situations every day...
Chris Obert

Took care of my upper engine mount. Drilled out the rubber with a hole saw, then pressed in a pair of Volvo V70 lower torque mount bushings.

X19-0513.jpg

Volvo bushings have a larger bolt, so I pressed in a length of 10mm nylon line into the bushing sleeve to allow the stock bolt to fit

X19-0515.jpg

They fit perfectly, so I may proceed with poly versions after I field test the rod/bushings once the car is back on the road.

Last edited:
Our clients often have their own personal reasons for using pay pal, and we try to accommodate them as needed.
Chris Obert

This part bothers me. Brookie said much the same thing on the phone, inferring that 'some people' use PayPal to 'hide' payments, etc. I didn't really understand why she would even say such a thing to a customer.

I use Paypal purely and simply because my data is already there and I don't have to enter CC info, etc.

It is obvious that processing PayPal creates a number of issues for orders placed with you. Why not just include a more obvious statement that indicates using PP will cause possibly several days delay to any order?

Now I know, I just won't use PP with your site.

I suspect the hiding is from a significant other that monitors their credit card and so on. Many don't want to be confronted with the reality of the real costs of owning a classic car...

I know many who are keeping their hobby going more on the sly than through a complete sharing of all that it really takes. Not all significant others are as understanding as yours appears to be. :)

Brooke was just providing a little insight into a reality that many owners are living with.

Back