I suppose you could ask if anyone has trashed later model body that they could cut out the mounting pads so you could weld them into your car. A buddy of mine was doing that with 124 spiders to add reel type shoulder belts into early spiders.
There must be a good picture of the stock, upper mount, B pillar location on later model X’s here somewhere.

There must be a good picture of the stock, upper mount, B pillar location on later model X’s here somewhere.
I'll take one for you later today. I don't think the "button" hole cover you see here (pic below) is the belt's shoulder mount. It should be higher up than that, but it might just be the perspective in this pic. I'll confirm it when I look later..

9B5FFBB3-B709-4BE6-91A8-E50F772BC97F.jpg

I'll take one for you later today. I don't think the "button" hole cover you see here (pic below) is the belt's shoulder mount. It should be higher up than that, but it might just be the perspective in this pic. I'll confirm it when I look later..

View attachment 38466
No, it's pretty far down, about 1-2" from the bottom, and about 3" below the top of my shoulder, but I have a tall torso. I guess not all '74's were made the same...

I'm thinking that button might be a retainer for the upholstered cover, not a seat belt mount. Plus the mounting bolts for the belts are huge. But I don't recall off hand exactly what's there. So I'll have to look. I think I have an example with the belts in place, and an example with the belts/covers removed. I'll post pics...please remind me if I forget.

I'm thinking that button might be a retainer for the upholstered cover, not a seat belt mount. Plus the mounting bolts for the belts are huge. But I don't recall off hand exactly what's there. So I'll have to look. I think I have an example with the belts in place, and an example with the belts/covers removed. I'll post pics...please remind me if I forget.
Yeah, my thought was interior button as well, but I’d like to be wrong...

Yeah, my thought was interior button as well, but I’d like to be wrong...
You might use your hand to press through the upholstery to feel the opening for the fastener. It should be where it is on the later X’s if it is there.

Here are some pictures of a '79 (no belt attached here) and a '85 (attached) seatbelt upper mount:

010.JPG
011.JPG

014.JPG
013.JPG

Both cars have some trim removed, so don't let that confuse things. Neither of these have the little "button" that your's does, but I think the mounting point here is higher than the button on yours. To help get some perspective, the 'slits' in the upholstery (both cars here) is where that little plastic vent goes (same as yours).

Here is your pic again for comparison:
9B5FFBB3-B709-4BE6-91A8-E50F772BC97F.jpg

I think your button is more where the green arrow is here (or even lower):
010.JPG

Last edited:
Here are some pictures of a '79 (no belt attached here) and a '85 (attached) seatbelt upper mount:

View attachment 38483View attachment 38484

View attachment 38485View attachment 38486

Both cars have some trim removed, so don't let that confuse things. Neither of these have the little "button" that your's does, but I think the mounting point here is higher than the button on yours. To help get some perspective, the 'slits' in the upholstery (both cars here) is where that little plastic vent goes (same as yours).

Here is your pic again for comparison:
View attachment 38488

I think your button is more where the green arrow is here (or even lower):
View attachment 38489
yes, your button is in a more sensible place for a belt. Since I’ll be replacing the headliner anyway, I wonder if welding a steel plate to the B pillar and drilling a thread in it would be strong enough to withstand a mid-speed collision force.

Euro X1/9s had three point belts from the start.
They were static belts though, no retractor. There was a little hook next to the seat to hang them up.
Update: after pulling away the headliner, it seems apparent I have the rarest of rare cars - a 1974 that DOESN‘T have the hidden, B pillar, pre-threaded mounting hole for 3-point belts. Damn. This car keeps disappointing while at the same time rewarding in its driving. Grrrr.

I not clear that anyone ever claimed a '74 will have those mounts? Keep in mind the '74s are different from all other years (in the US) in many ways. Therefore you purchased the oddball year, so expect to find 'abnormalities'. That's what makes it "special". ;)

I not clear that anyone ever claimed a '74 will have those mounts? Keep in mind the '74s are different from all other years (in the US) in many ways. Therefore you purchased the oddball year, so expect to find 'abnormalities'. That's what makes it "special". ;)
The old expert who just worked on the car swore those holes would be there. And he’s not the first to say that about a ‘74. Regardless, the Internet is revealing different ways to get there, some not that involved. Not sure if a X‘s B pillar would qualify as “going to the roof” though...

Here’s where the shoulder mount is located on a ‘74. It’s where the plug is usually located.

199E3E5E-E060-412B-AB72-566A857F0F87.jpeg

The old expert who just worked on the car swore those holes would be there. And he’s not the first to say that about a ‘74. Regardless, the Internet is revealing different ways to get there, some not that involved. Not sure if a X‘s B pillar would qualify as “going to the roof” though...

I've put 3-point belts in 3 prior '74s and all had mounts. I have a current '74 in the middle of a K20 swap, so I took a quick look and it has the mounts as well. The trick is in removing the plug. The cap portion will likely snap off due to age. Is usually comes off clean and no threaded hole is apparent. The rest of that ribbed plug left behind is quite stout and fairly long. Couple that with the errant upholstery cement that sometimes got on the plug during installation and you can have a bear of a time getting it out. Starting with a phillips screwdriver, place in the center of the plug and smack it with a hammer. Once the plug is dislodged, you may have to run a chaser tap to clean all the glue, vinyl, and plastic out of the threads. I've used the following belts multiple times and they work flawlessly:

Hope this helps!
IMG_2971.jpg
IMG_2971.jpg
IMG_2972.jpg
IMG_2971.jpgIMG_2972.jpg

Hey everybody, I’ve got that plug, but we were thinking it was too low, especially compared to where it was relocated to in the early 80’s. Lol. Spent the whole night looking at post-plate-insert systems, which meant cutting into the B pillar.
I just thought this plug was for holding the upholstery in place. Still seems low...but I‘ll see if I can get the plugs out without destroying them.

Last edited:
No, the factor belts had the wiring built on. I trashed all that nonsense when I reengineered the wiring.

Any idea if these after-market belts can be hooked up to the existing seat belt warning system in the X?

I've put 3-point belts in 3 prior '74s and all had mounts. I have a current '74 in the middle of a K20 swap, so I took a quick look and it has the mounts as well. The trick is in removing the plug. The cap portion will likely snap off due to age. Is usually comes off clean and no threaded hole is apparent. The rest of that ribbed plug left behind is quite stout and fairly long. Couple that with the errant upholstery cement that sometimes got on the plug during installation and you can have a bear of a time getting it out. Starting with a phillips screwdriver, place in the center of the plug and smack it with a hammer. Once the plug is dislodged, you may have to run a chaser tap to clean all the glue, vinyl, and plastic out of the threads. I've used the following belts multiple times and they work flawlessly:

Hope this helps!View attachment 39174View attachment 39174View attachment 39175View attachment 39174View attachment 39175
So there's no GOOD way to get those 46 year old plugs out without total destruction? Would spraying a little lubricant in help at all to loosen the plug?

Update: with a little WD40 and a lot of patience, got the first plug out with no breakage. A little mangled, but all good. Now, time to order a test shoulder-belt:

FC13185B-3A6F-41C6-9D72-6528A108301B.jpeg

Last edited:
Most people do. What if you bought these: http://www.securon.co.uk/fitting/extras/electricallywired.htm

Question being, could you use their electric buckle with their 500/30 harness mechanism? I’m thinking yes, since it’s the buckle receptacle that’s handling the on/off?

I don’t think you need anything else.

Out of curiosity, why the focus on the belt reminder? Are you that likely to not buckle up without it? I can understand the key in reminder, you either like them or you don’t but an easy to live with thing in any case.

As someone who had a 1974 Datsun with a similar solution starter interlock, it was a complete effing nightmare. Too many connections, too little reliability. The belt switch was prone to failure due to dirt/schmutz of life.

Back