Official Member Car Picture Thread

Well this was a red letter, my Wheel exploded...not tire....wheel.

So I picked up some rims a couple years ago from another member because I really liked the style, got them powder coated at the time as seen below, on another X and then mine painted.
1684953143179.jpeg

1684953224712.jpeg

So I'm at a point in the restoration that it's time to mount the new tires on the rims, got the tires earlier this year. Bring it to the shop that did the powder coating and I'm one happy camper at this point. Can't wait to see them on the car.

The next day I get a call from the shop and they say they have bad news the wheel exploded. I said tire? No wheel.
1684954117331.jpeg

Video of the shop and explosion:

I've never seen this happen and neither had they. I can think of a few reasons why maybe: Cheap wheels, old wheels. when powder coated them they were cooked at 430 degrees, possible unseen damage. So the other three go to the trash as I don't want to take a chance with them or others take a chance.

Very disappointed as I loved the look of these wheels.

The next day I get a call from the shop and they say they have bad news the wheel exploded. I said tire? No wheel.
Were they at the point of putting the tire on the bead? That looked like a lot of energy in that explosion. I wouldn't think 30-35 PSI of typical tire pressure would do that. Amazing.

Sorry for your loss. :(

Were they at the point of putting the tire on the bead? That looked like a lot of energy in that explosion. I wouldn't think 30-35 PSI of typical tire pressure would do that. Amazing.

Sorry for your loss. :(
Yes, that was the first tire they were doing, inflating it to set the bead. After that they did not want to do the rest, I can't blame them. A piece of the rim imbedded in the drywall in the back of the video. These guys are well known in Chicago and do a lot of Hi end work. All the Porsche guys use them so they know their stuff.

I have the CD91s that came with the car and will use those for now, they are in very good condition but really liked that dish look of the turbine wheels. What can you do, these things happen. At least no one was hurt.

Well this was a red letter, my Wheel exploded...not tire....wheel.

So I picked up some rims a couple years ago from another member because I really liked the style, got them powder coated at the time as seen below, on another X and then mine painted.
View attachment 73664
View attachment 73665
So I'm at a point in the restoration that it's time to mount the new tires on the rims, got the tires earlier this year. Bring it to the shop that did the powder coating and I'm one happy camper at this point. Can't wait to see them on the car.

View attachment 73666

Video of the shop and explosion:

I've never seen this happen and neither had they. I can think of a few reasons why maybe: Cheap wheels, old wheels. when powder coated them they were cooked at 430 degrees, possible unseen damage. So the other three go to the trash as I don't want to take a chance with them or others take a chance.

Very disappointed as I loved the look of these wheels.
Good choice.
I keep old wheels as hose bibs on the barn/shop wall and such.

When I got my NA Miata as a daily driver, my commute to work was kind of the same mental outlook. When I tried to make a Fiat a commuter I always planned where the wide shoulders were for when I (eventually) had to pull over with a dead motor.

When I got my NA Miata as a daily driver, my commute to work was kind of the same mental outlook. When I tried to make a Fiat a commuter I always planned where the wide shoulders were for when I (eventually) had to pull over with a dead motor.
If only you had kept the FI…

:)

Well, both times they were carb issues but both were early carbed cars. My Brava throttle got stuck on full throttle when I floored it...easy to temp fix on the shoulder. The other was a fuel pump fuse that kept blowing, only had to stop three times to get to work and hook the pump to a different circuit so I could get home. When you look at a dead FI motor on the shoulder good luck finding the problem!

Well, both times they were carb issues but both were early carbed cars. My Brava throttle got stuck on full throttle when I floored it...easy to temp fix on the shoulder. The other was a fuel pump fuse that kept blowing, only had to stop three times to get to work and hook the pump to a different circuit so I could get home. When you look at a dead FI motor on the shoulder good luck finding the problem!
Perhaps but you'll have 10 carb problems for every one FI problem. I'll take that one tow rather than 10 stops which may still need a tow. ;)

Back