Official X1/9 Market Value Thread.

DuaneEstill

Banned User
This is an attempt at getting a handle on market values for X1/9's. Post pics, prices, deals, rumors, etc. so we can see the range of prices on our cars and maybe, just maybe, develop a reference point for what anyone should pay or could get for an X1/9. I assume something like this doesn't exist.

Year, mileage, condition (1-10), stories, records available(?), pictures, etc.

Tuff call Duane

Because it depends upon where you are in the world,
What year, who buys it from who owns it, etc. etc.

Mine is the most perfect I've seen anywhere, but (still) it's not perfect.
I have small chips in the original paint, it's no longer considered "concours" because
I've changed out the wheels with CD30/Toyo RA1's and some folks might think I've devalued the car by doing that.
Also replaced ALL Lamps with LED's, added plug-in mods, etc. etc. so declaring an actual value would be between me and a buyer.

I saw this rumor... what a bargain !!!

Post pics,rumors

$12K, 29K miles, like new.

bb2.jpg

Yup, it's a bargain...

Like I said, the value would be between me and the buyer. I'll stand by that. And for those who've seen it first hand, they'll know what I'm talking about. I've dumped lots more than that into it.

Capital idea Duane!

Jim Decker used to save X sales data from ebay.
Which I think would be a great starting point
for accumulating sales history.
Pics, description, somewhat level playing field,
and actual sold price, rather than asking price.

Most other ad data would only show asking price.
Actual sold price is between buyer/seller,
who may not care to release that info.

Sounds like a great project for Duane!
A techie with passion for the marque.
Go for it man...

Screwed by the bay

Jim Decker used to save X sales data from ebay.

"Used to" is the operative phrase. Stupid me saved all the links to auctions. Then Ebay changed there policies on auction archives. They delete auctions a month or so after the closing date. So all I had left was dead links. :(

Bob I fully agree AND

I've dumped lots more than that into it.
at 49K miles I wouldn't let mine go for under $12,500 ~ mint original Abarth CD-30's, etc. and fully documented since new with One very special aftermarket option finally via eBay ...

:thumbsup: < Nah j/k never for sale :guns: >

DSC00046.jpg

One option for you...

Go to the "Keith Martin's Sports Car Market" site... sign up to get the free regular E-newsletter (will come to whatever e-mail address you give). From there you will be able to sign up to get "Collector Car Price Tracker" results... there is a free version and a "Pro" version which you must pay for. I just use the free version.

It will give you all sorts of info... individual sales, monthly sales, most popular years, etc., etc... I think most of the info comes from Ebay sales, but I'm not sure... It won't be complete, but its a start.

(Oh... and when you put in the "model" just put in "X"... for some reason the the search doesn't understand "X1/9"...)

Whoa, step back

KM's take on the X1/9 is not too positive. Some people single-handedly blame him and his 'reviews' for keeping prices suppressed. He's the last person I would consult.

Well....

I am an IT guy, but I was thinking of a cumulative notion rather than some functional piece. I do come here just about every day, but my time is limited.

Is of course subjective and sentimental and also 'what someone is willing to pay.' And, as they say, there is one born every minute.

Well...those are reasons to try and get a grip on this rather than reasons not to, as far as I can see. If the values are increasing, then all the more reason why we can at least create a 'reporting thread,' with Greg's post as a good example, or even if it's already sold.

I'll be posting the details of my recent sale of my 86'.

Last edited:
I like the idea but there would be too much

but I was thinking for of a cumulative notion than some functional piece.

cross posting. This is basically what we are doing now in FSW. Just tune into any recent posting and that gives us a good idea of how prices are going at that time.

Decent-good condition '74 in NH just went for $1600 (engine and mechanicals much in Q)

"Seems" to be a v/g condtion 9,300 miles! '87 White X on eBay bringing $5,000 with 2 days to go.

I know my car tax assessment on my '84 X tripled in the past 3 years HIGHER to gross assessment now of $5480 which is insane! Paid in full for the X 25 years ago and now I paid the town $211 this year!

When I went down to the Tax office to complain I was told they use this little guide now for assessments and then average off a % for retail...

NADA
Classic Car Consumer Prices
1987 Bertone X1/9 2 Door Targa Coupe
PRICING
October 28, 2009
Weight: 2,210

Original MSRP: $11,330
Low Retail Average Retail Value High Retail
Base Price $3,925 $6,375 $11,075
TOTAL PRICE $3,925 $6,375 $11,075

Note: Vehicles with low mileage that are in exceptionally good condition and/or include a manufacturer certification can be worth a significantly higher value than the Retail price shown.

And the BB description :laugh:

* "100 Point" or "# 1" vehicle is not driven. It would generally be in a museum or transported in an enclosed trailer to concourse judging and car shows. This type of car would be stored in a climate-regulated facility.

©Copyright 2009 NADAguides.com. All Rights Reserved
©NADASC 2009. All Rights Reserved.

well if we all band together, and say a running and drivable, decent bodied x is worth say $4k, then anything perfect would fetch say 9-10k..
however i think its probably closer to 1500 for a nice running car, and a perfect one is closer to 6-7k IMHO

market values

I had mentioned this recently on a reply:

thread_new.gif
1980 X - $6500 - Atlanta
Views: 510
Posted By scorpion
Listed as sold on ebay after a few "buy it now" revisions.

May be we should have a xwebs forums selling price chart to keep a historical record of X price levels vs. condition of known cars. I would imagine the total number of USA X's is diminishing annually...

Therefore I am in agreement with DuaneEstill that our collective sleuthing of all the listed X's listed and/or sold will give us all a sense of valuations. As many pictures as are available for comment by Forum members could be archived. Some of the cars listed may actually be car owned or familiar to Forum members.
The NADA just likes to sell subcriptions to municipalities so they can tax us on our previously taxed possesions. This is not unlike going to Home Depot to buy stuff on which you pay sales tax to do a makeover on your house and then to pay a carrying fee in the form of property tax in perpetuity because your house is now worth more in the assessor's eyes.
As for some of the previously listed cars. The 87 x on ebay with 9K miles has already met reserve so that car seems attractively priced but alot can happen in a day and half to go.

A new one has appeared in NY on ebay at $4000 buy it now http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1983...ewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item2c51721065
The interior looks remade so who knows about the rest of the car.

Another one in Lima, Ohio on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1980...ewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item23039a83a2

Another in Florida on ebay with sunburnt red seats and a rear spoiler form a kids rice-burner.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1984...ewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item2556fa562a

A national search of Crazedlist.org can pull a few more cars out of the hat.

I'll keep looking.

I will say there are a several factors to the Current values of a Fiat X

1. Time of year and current economic conditions of the seller. You know someone selling in November you know the buyer is most likely in the South...
2. Color and condition. I can tell you now that a Black 85 model Bertone with Leather and a nice paint job is worth more money than a Yellow two tone 85 with out leather even with less miles.
3. The early cars vs the later ones. There are basically 4 markets for Xs.
Market A. Early clean 74s and 75s with either Low mileage or turned into a race car. These low mileage
and ubber clean cars will be the collectible driver. most have the early bumpers or none at all and are very esthetically pleasing. Or have been turned into little race cars.
Market B. The 76 to78 cars that for the most part disappoint in my opinion. They are under powered with the ugly bumpers and if you are In California you still have to attempt smogging them with carbs.
Market C. the 79 threw 83 Xs, These represent the majority of your survivor drivers that are not in the best of condition. For the few exceptions of course. These are usually your 300 to 1500 dollar craigslist cars with potential.
Market D. Your 84 to 89 Bertone. They are the newer of the bunch and there are still some nice examples out there but there values are going up because as the years went on they made less and less of them. Say 1500 in 87 verse 22,000 in 79..

Well... I'm not intersted in selling, so...

... and probably will never be interested in selling...

The CHEAPER the BETTER!

Except Grundy keeps upping my "agreed upon value" about $500 dollars a year... to now $9000. Cost me another buck...

In my case, if I were to get another, I would want a very inexpensive pre-75 and build a marginal street driven racer. Probably with a Dallara kit installed.

I have been known to be swayed at times though... HA! I'm really NOT interested in making money on these cars or care what anyone else thinks they are worth. I just love to drive them and have fun!

Hope you all can enjoy yours too!

Last edited:
Agreed

I think JJ makes a good point that holds true even with the X1/9's. The very early or very late one's are the most desirable. The details of the differences in the "in-betweens" are important too. When I buy another X, I'm shooting for an 83-87 FI with low mileage. That probably because I already have a 79' with carbs and a hotter cam.

Also, those general categories JJ sets out are very much on target in terms of how these things can be thought about, that's a good item to think with.

Now...here's my 'real-world' example of a recent sale 5 months ago.

Red 86 Bertone that I'd had for three years. Drove the pi** out of it and it was well maintained. Bought with busted coolant pipes and bad tires for $600. Put new copper coolant pipes and tires on it and drive it every day for two years. That was my money out of it right there. Switched to 79 because it handled better and had a cooler sound, got Spider engine rebuilt and this car starts to be the odd man out. It needed a clutch and a transmission spring and I'd just redid the transmission in the 79' so it just sat for 8 months, which was bugging me, so I sold it for exactly what I paid for it to a Fiat enthusiast that I knew would take care of it. Had 139K when I sold it. My mechanic is telling me I sold the wrong car and I think he might be right, the FI's are the way to go unless it's a track car. To me, even with the clutch needing replaced the guy got a very good deal. But considering....I didn't want to sell for $1,500 or even $1,000 because you couldn't just get in it and drive, though the engine was very good.

86x19_int.jpg

86x19_back-1.jpg

Last edited:
JJ your assessment is correct...

Historically, (overall) that's the way it's been with the market of X's.

Of course there's always exceptions, but your valuation of the model years that sell and their values has run pretty close to what you've outlined.

The way I see it, the coveted 1974 and 1985/86 models seem to run highest, the 1987 not so much because of the door trims but the Gran Finale models seem to be valued higher because of all the little extras.

Nice layout of the models JJ

Market B. The 76 to78 cars that for the most part disappoint in my opinion. They are under powered with the ugly bumpers

And here would be one of those Exceptions with this '78 SE sticker X...while in exceptional condition and with the SaRaToGa went for $8500! This is the highest X $ sale I remember in recent history...

78.jpg

Here was the chatter http://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/5069/

And the eBay link but remember like Jim said these links all expire over time http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...Track=true&ssPageName=VIP:Watchlink:middle:us

Last edited by a moderator:
Back