Official X1/9 Market Value Thread.

I guess I can

only guess!!

DSC_1660-1.jpg

Yeah really....

"pimp it out and weight it down," I don't know what that means, but it sounds like attention detail, albeit maybe implies not signficant changes. I plea ignorance...

If you look at it from the standpoint of the carrozzeria, they've just gotten handed their own car to produce in house. Bertone was a smaller company, smaller production, ergo, they'd pay more attention to the production runs than Fiat would. As I mentioned the same holds true for Pininfarina though their changes to the spider are more obvious.

But....I'll plea ignorance happily! I'd like to know the exact differences. Seems like I've read somewhere that there were over 100 changes.

Last edited:
Hmmmm

Brand spankin' new 1974 Fiat X1/9, e/w aftermarket wheels and AM/FM 8 track stereo... with tax & license?... $5135 out the door

Same beloved car reluctantly sold to another chap in May of 1980?... $2400

And after years and years of dreams of driving my '74 only to awaken and have my dreams dashed on the rocks of reality, the ability to rejoin the brotherhood (no sexism intended) of X owners and drive a wonderfully sorted out X (thanks again, Mark Plaia!) ???...

PRICELESS!!!!!

Last edited:
X's are actually doing pretty well...

...marketwise, compared to many cars. I am having a hell of a time selling my 86 Jaguar XJS on eBay for only $2750. The car has 4 times the power of a stock X, is in pretty darn good condition with 94K miles, reliable, non-leaking and cost nearly $50K in 1986, when it was the fastest automatic production car on the planet. Book values mean nothing, if nobody is willing to pay that number for the car. My car has an NADA low book value of $4850. My car is in high average condition. My eBay auction is to end this evening, and I hope someone snags it. I have a Zagato coming to me in a week or two, and just found out my mother is giving me her car, as she just purchased another.

"Tom drives his mother's car..."

On noooo... you didn't let that one outta the bag, did ya? Not in front of these "guys"...

She doesn't wear army boots does she?

HA!

Soooo... what will ya be driving ta work now???

Just like the 3 rules in real estate are Location X 3...

The rules for cars are Condition, Condition, Condition....:wink2::wink2:

Ohhhh...

She has an ORCA also?

I dunno why... but I really like that car in its SS trim and extemely subtle graphics... and even though that lil' small block seemed to get LOST in the engine bay... it was a great performing car... for its girth!

I saw a WAGON all decked out in 50's style trim at a show up in Paso Robles CA... but I had no camera at the time... The mere size of the car gave the ARTIST the license to almost paint a MURAL of any car down the side of that thing. For the life of me I can't remember just what it was, but as you can tell my my rambling, it sure made an impact on me!

Continued good fortune Tom, I hope your Mom is doing well...

Thanks Tony...

....Mom is great. She just bought a Cadillac. She has always wanted one. Her Impala has nothing wrong with it physically or mechanically...just time for a change. She deserves it.

Jaguar

Tom...aren't the XJS's 12 cylinders? Is it the white one you got like two years ago or thereabouts? Where are you located?

Duane ...

...It is the same one. I am in Columbus, Ohio. It is in good shape, runs fine. No leaks! V12. New brakes, master cylinder, front crank seal, new water pump, belts, plugs and wires. The tires vibrate a bit over 80 mph (I bought cheap tires 25K miles ago). Other than that, the only real issues are the AC and cruise control don't work. I just had the oil changed (12 quarts!) and the trans fluid/filter changed. When I bought it just under two years ago, it had 68K miles, it now has 94K. I would (and do) drive it anywhere without thinking twice. The front seat bottoms could use recovering (I put seat covers over them). I refinished the wood dash and door wood trim. I would sell it today for $2500. I just cannot have all of these cars. I commited myself to a Lancia Zagato that comes with a Beta parts car, I have the X which is going to be redone over the winter and now my Mothers Impala. The Jag isn't a show car, but it isn't a beater, either.
IMG_3438.jpg

IMG_3443.jpg

Last edited:
OK, so DIY labor is cheap but what about the price of parts?

And don't say "They're easy to make yourself". :innocent:
I always thought I'd have a 308 some day and actually came within :2c: of buying one a couple of years ago. Today, I'm actually glad I didn't. What I finally realized is that I loved driving more than I loved Ferraris. What I really wanted was a hardcore canyon racer for the narrow, back country two-lanes that we have around here. And a 308 is never going to be that...it's simply too big and too heavy. I figured for the $30-$35k I'd shell-out for the Ferrari, I could have one hell of an X, or 911, or Lotus Europa/Esprit. The funny thing is, I had another epiphany and realized I didn't just love driving, I loved driving really fast but wanted to do it in a safe and legal way. So for 1/2 the price of a 30 year-old 308, I ended-up with a car that is more rare than an Enzo and will blow it into the weeds (on a track); a 2-liter sports racer. Yeah, I may not be able to use it on the street but I'm hoping the adreneline rush is so great it will get me from one weekend to the next.
And regarding the 308 GT4; while some say it has "quirky" styling, there's nothing quirky about the way its four Webers allow it to blow the doors off the (pre-QV) injected GTBi/GTSi's. Besides, you can't see the styling from the driver's seat anyway. And with it's pretend back seat and lower cost of entry, it's an easier sell to the wife (if that's a concern).

That's a lot of car...a Jag, V12 and all....for $2500. It's amazing to me how some cars that cost so much when new, when still in pretty good shape with reasonably low mileage, can't sell for more money than they do. Some BMWs from the 1980s (such as 6 and 7 series) have the same problem. It's a great market out there for cash buyers.

Back in the day I had both

I always thought I'd have a 308 some day and actually came within :2c: of buying one a couple of years ago. Today, I'm actually glad I didn't. What I finally realized is that I loved driving more than I loved Ferraris. What I really wanted was a hardcore canyon racer for the narrow, back country two-lanes that we have around here. And a 308 is never going to be that...it's simply too big and too heavy. I figured for the $30-$35k I'd shell-out for the Ferrari, I could have one hell of an X, or 911, or Lotus Europa/Esprit. The funny thing is, I had another epiphany and realized I didn't just love driving, I loved driving really fast but wanted to do it in a safe and legal way. So for 1/2 the price of a 30 year-old 308, I ended-up with a car that is more rare than an Enzo and will blow it into the weeds (on a track); a 2-liter sports racer. Yeah, I may not be able to use it on the street but I'm hoping the adreneline rush is so great it will get me from one weekend to the next.
And regarding the 308 GT4; while some say it has "quirky" styling, there's nothing quirky about the way its four Webers allow it to blow the doors off the (pre-QV) injected GTBi/GTSi's. Besides, you can't see the styling from the driver's seat anyway. And with it's pretend back seat and lower cost of entry, it's an easier sell to the wife (if that's a concern).

In the mid to late 70's I had both an X and a 308GT4 - at the same time.

The X was way more fun because I could use most of its performance and remain legal. The 308 was a handfull on city/suburban streets. The only clear "victory" to the 308 was the noise. Oh my it was sooooooo sweeeeeet. 4 double barrelled carbs breathing fire. I had a permanent marker put a little mark on the drivers window chrome - just over half way down. And if put the window exactly in this position, then the combined noise of intake and muffler was unbelievable. 30 years later I can still imagine that sound and it gives me goose bumps.

BTW, the GT4 was a better handler than the GTB and GTS due to its longer wheelbase .

We share the same experiences.

Owning a Ferrari is an emotional response, often based on status or a sense that one has arrived financially, and only rarely based on performance of the cars....I have driven at least a dozen different models of F cars and IMO ( as a driving enthusiast), one would find better driving car without the Ferrari maintenance headaches.

I love to drive...anything....and although the twinges of F car ownership come and go from time to time....and the fact that it is a great time to buy with all the fire sale pricing...I see no upside to owning one.

I admit owning a front wheel drive Lancia powered by a Ferrari 308 and it is a marvelous car...but certainly not a status car...just the best "sleeper" I have ever seen...and maintenance costs SUCK!

...my daily driver is a 2010 Subaru WRX...far cheaper than a Ferrari and a marvelous "driver's" car...

...I too have a rare race car (single seat and street legal 800pounds and 120 hp 0-60 in 3.5 sec), great fun.

The X is the bargain of the century right now... my wife's recent purchase of a recently restored car with a botched engine assembly has been an annoyance but the engine rebuild costs less than the timing belt/tensioner bearing/valve adjustment regular scheduled maintenance on my Lancia...so no complaints here with the X.

I considering buying another X for me (after enjoying my wife's so much) because of the value (thinkin' autocross car development) in the spring when i free up some storage space.(I just cast off my Lotus Eropa Special and my MG Midget autocrosser and have a few more cars that i am declaring "surplus"...Fiats are fun)

With value priced Xs everywhere right now, I think it may be a great time to purchase decent examples as some modest appreciation may happen if the Fiat badge comes back to North America...then again I am known to be wrong on any matters financial...haha

P

I remember that one

what a beauty. I drove a '78 X as a rental car over in Hawaii on a '79 vacation and remember how underpowered it felt compared to my '74 (which I still owned at the time). Funny how much of a difference 5 HP can make!

UN - FRIGGIN - BELIEVABLE...just saw a 1986 Bertone X 1/9 for sale in Toronto Canada with only 3800 original kilometres (2280 miles) for $25,000.00 Canadian ($23,372 US Funds)

Beautiful car but really!

I did not notice a line up of people to buy it...Hopefully he will throw in a set of new rubber since the old are a little hard now.

P

Back