Official X1/9 Market Value Thread.

That is outrageous...

I'd just get a high mileage 308 for that money. I love X's, but that is really outlandish.

In my mind this establishes a new watermark for ridiculous pricing. I hope it is an isolated instance of idiocy.

Of course the price is way out of whack but if you have any more info on this car please post it. It would be interesting to find out what (other than the very low mileage) the seller thinks is special about the car.

Of course the price is way out of whack but if you have any more info on this car please post it. It would be interesting to find out what (other than the very low mileage) the seller thinks is special about the car.

Links is attached.

Its available thru Andy's Spiders (on consignment)....the best Spider restorer anywhere and he charges upwards of $30-$50,000 to restore one.....totally absurd... but there are hard core people paying the price and keeping him booked up years in advance....many are those with a family history with a specific car and want it restored for the nostalgia of a family heirloom.... i just don't get it.
Andy's work consistently wins awards at FLU an other shows.
http://www.andyspiders.com/1986 Fiat Bertone X19.html

Paul

I don't know...

I'm not saying I'd pay that but you know what they say about collectibles: There's no such thing as paying too much, just buying too early!
On a more practical note, my wife and I are big fans of the PBS show "Antiques Roadshow". I can recall one of the appraisers commenting on the astronomical price assigned to a ratty old cast iron pull toy. It was dented and rusty, had pieces that had been broken off, and was worth something like $8k - $10k as I remember. The comment was that for many categories of collectibles, unless you have something truly unique, the most valuable items many times are the least expensive and most common from their time. The reason being nicer, more expensive things are almost always well taken care of, so a much greater percentage of them survive for a much longer period of time. Cheap and common items on the other hand, are, well...cheap, so they fall apart, are seldon well-cared for, and are discarded without a thought. With the passage of time, these items then become the most rare. In addition, their broad appeal and popularity when new, transfers into increased demand among collectors in the future.
Obviously there are a lot of factors that determine an object's value at any given time, but if this X were rat-holed away somewhere, I wouldn't bet against it appreciating at a much faster rate than your 308.

I believe yur right on...

I like that show also... always looking for that improbable GEM!

I have some old CHEAP Lionel, American Flyer and Marx TOY trains, (versus MODEL trains...) that have been played with HARD ever since 1946.

The Marx trains were cheap tin LITHOGRAPHS that surpizingly had, and still have some GOOD motors, kinda like a good running Chevy small block, compared to an exotic Mercedes or something... But these Marx toys usually RUSTED and fell apart or were crushed. Now... they are gaining popularity and PRICE because there are so FEW of them around... and have become CHERISHED in their own right.

Thanks for posting, Paul...

Its great to see one so beautifully restored... to the point that one can no longer DRIVE it any more... just place it on a shelf I guess... and LOOK at it.

(I just got home from the Nethercutt Museum here in SoCal and every one of their virtually PRICELESS autos are licensed, insured and DRIVEN, but probably only a few times a year, and there are about 130 of them, with a staff of 50 mechanics. That's a whole 'nother arena... but this is getting close!)

Here's a peek:

013-1.jpg

Also ran into MY good old friend Jay Leno over coffee at the Autobooks-Aerobooks bookstore in Burbank earlier in the day... and he showed up in a FRESH barn-find of a '37 Duesenberg. Everything was as original as if it was stored away 3 years ago... right down to the somewhat dusty upholsery that was not ripped or faded... an amazing piece. He had to go through the engine but that was it.

He has cars at BOTH ends of he scale... and he drives them all. I believe he has the right attitude about them though... and it does not necessarily take goobs of money to enjoy them, just the proper attitude.

Visited that museum

a couple of years ago. What a place! The cars , the musical stuff and that train in the back are outstanding! Definitely worth a visit for anyone in the Southland.

Yep... and ...

... when they lit off that HUGE 5000 pipe - Pipe Organ, they replayed "PHANTOM of the OPERA!"

I thought the walls were gonna collapse! That or a 9.5 earthquake.

I'm still reeling form all that took place yesterday. The Nethercutt in itself was OVERLOAD! More to come...

... when they lit off that HUGE 5000 pipe - Pipe Organ, they replayed "PHANTOM of the OPERA!"

I thought the walls were gonna collapse! That or a 9.5 earthquake.

I'm still reeling form all that took place yesterday. The Nethercutt in itself was OVERLOAD! More to come...

I am a concert organist (pipe organs only)....do you know what type of organ it is?
I always love shaking the stained glass in large churches when practicing and no one was in the building but me...a feeling of tremendous controlled and calculated power.... Phantom of the Opera is classic for sure...a real crowd pleaser.

Paul...

It never ceases to amaze me about the diverse interests we find in the people on this site.

I won't get into the BIRDWATCHERS thing again... but...

HA!

Go here:

http://nethercuttcollection.org/Collection.aspx

I'm afraid the link to the "Instruments" section is broken... but contact the museum.

It is indeed a Wurlitzer (sp?) keyboard or control station...

I will tell you that the CONTROL portion is about 6 feet wide... the base of the control rises up from the floor about sitting height, the curtains in the background, of which you can only see a portion of, are about 15 - 20 feet long, 10 feet high, and open up on each side back against the wall, which is about 30 feet away from the keyboard... and the ceiling where the PIPES are housed inside this area must be 20 feet or more high. The pipes are in ALL sorts of configurations and materials... some would be called HORNS in my mind, like trumpets. There ar Xzylophones, and all sorts of other percussion instruments as well back there... depending on what is played.

They do have LIVE concerts bi-monthly starting next February, but for these tours, they have a computerized "player" that operates the system. Just slightly short of "just as good". They also have other programs bi-weekly, I believe, and these tours are booked well in advance. We got in on standby and smoozing alot.

There are also about 20 other "Orchestrions" that are equally as fascinating and they play about 6 or 7 on each tour. They pipe organ is tuned TWICE WEEKLY on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. (???) I dunno why, but I can see where it could take TWO days to tune it, if ya know what yur doing!

Paul... I dunno nuttin' about organs... but the Nethercutt family has just about the best of everything this world has to offer, or has ever had to offer... and I betcha, there ain't no finer organ in the world than this one... especially held "privately".

Make some plans to see it... let me know when yur in town and I'll go with ya!

Thanks for the info Tony....definately going to be on my "to do " list for a trip to Cali one day.

Definately a Wurlitzer "Theatre Organ"...very niiiiice!

I have played one very similar here in Canada, but I am trained as a "straight" or "cathedral" type organist playing organs of similar size but designed and "voiced" for a churches as opposed to a theatre sound ( not to mention the percussion etc. with the theatre organ)

When sitting at the console ("control station") with multiple manuals ("keyboards") hundred of stops (knobs that control pipe choice), two foot pedal board, and multiple foot pistons, one gets the sense of complexity that an airline pilot could relate to....my neighbour (a commercial pilot) says he still gets a thrill or rush every flight even after making thousands of them...I feel the same everytime I sit at the organ.

I am kind of in a forced "retirement" from playing professionally now (rare special occassions only) after shattering my hand (27 breaks) and having it rebuilt and two years of intensive therapy about 10 years ago.... Tobogganning accident playing with my kids....haha... never would have happened if i lived in California!

cheers
Paul

Now back to values...I have no room for any more cars right now but I just had to check this one out on my afternoon drive...
http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...-Mid-Engine-Fuel-Injection-W0QQAdIdZ157313937

Proof positive to never buy from pictures (looks good in pics)without looking at the car...interior was so/so OK..... paint original and in need of repaint long ago..... lots of touch up paint everywhere..... wheels tired and in need of refurbishment... engine started and ran smoke free and engine bay looked better than expected.... signs of bodywork.... car would not pass safety here in Canada with the driver's floorboard falling away from the car (has been poorly patched/glued once before)....i did not test drive...was too disinterested by then.

Paul

Paul... I can understand completely...

I'm sure this museum, along with several others in the area, would be of great interest to you.

As for the tobaggoning... Here in LA-LA-Land the slopes are soooo crowded folks are KILLING each other running into trees. Even my son likes to go off the beaten tracks to find virgin snow...

I remember riding a tobaggon once... Thank God I fell off the back... they steer like crap!

HAHAHA!

Pipes...

Paul... send me an email and I'll send a bunch of fotos of our day...

Here is about 1/2 of the exposed pipes behind glass on one side of the console... inside the rear wall. I don' have a foto of the other side... but this should give you an idea...

Tony

IMG_7862.jpg

Hemmings X mentioned before now listed...

Not sure if it's the one consigned with Andy's Spiders... No pics :(

1988 Fiat X1/9 $17,000

Seller Notes:
FIAT: 1988 X19, an orig car with 3,500 miles, this car is in brand new cond, $17,000 USD. Louis, 416-743-0111, ON, Canada. $17,000

If you got pics

Post pics if you can find them, this is, again, another outlandish price on a late model. Incredulous.

'79 X in the UK 5,900mi. !

http://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/classic-car-page.php/carno/78923

£9,950
(approx. €10,895 or $16,358)

1979 Fiat X1/9 1500 Bedfordshire, UK
1979 Fiat X1/9 1500 Car For Sale in Bedfordshire, UK. FIAT X 1/9 TARGA 1500 - 5 SPEED 1979. THIS FANTASTIC CAR HAS ONLY COVERED 5,900 Miles FROM NEW. SHE HAS BEEN IN THE SAME FAMILY SINCE NEW AND HAS BEEN BEAUTIFULLY STORED SINCE BEING HATCHED FROM THE ...

goldx5900.jpg

FIAT X 1/9 TARGA 1500 - 5 SPEED 1979. THIS FANTASTIC CAR HAS ONLY COVERED 5,900 Miles FROM NEW. SHE HAS BEEN IN THE SAME FAMILY SINCE NEW AND HAS BEEN BEAUTIFULLY STORED SINCE BEING HATCHED FROM THE EGG AT THE FIAT FACTORY. I HAVE ALL THE ORIGINAL SALES BROCHURES AND A WORKSHOP MANUAL. IT WOULD BE POINTLESS TRYING TO DESCRIBE A NEW CAR EXCEPT THAT YOU COULD NEVER RESTORE ONE TO THIS STANDARD AND MAKE IT NEW AGAIN. YES 5,900 MILES FROM NEW

1987 with Zero-Miles in New York

About six months ago there was a guy that advertised an X on Ebay. I spoke to him and he revealed that the unregistered car was one of two, the other one had never been driven and he was keeping it. He never sent photos of the second car and the first car showed some corrosion so I doubted him . Anyway there may be a zero mile cream puff out there. May be worth another $500.00

Bob

It seems to me the X1/9 just doesn't seem to get much respect...it's almost as if some enthusiasts prefer to purposely ignore the fact that it was ever produced. For example, here's a well-known search site for used "premium" cars, which I found from a Ferrari forum:

http://www.finecars.cc/en/home/index.html

What I don't get is why, even though they list "FIAT" in the drop-down search menu, the X1/9 isn't included...in fact, it appears to be one of the few Fiats that ISN'T included.:hrmph:

Back