RevTek - Fiat x1/9 & More Classic Cars Video Series

9:25 with the 1500 BVH w/o passenger
9:05 with the 1900 with passenger,traffic,lack of practice

that is very quick for a road registered 4 cylinder NA car in fact.... if you break 9.00 that puts you in with the "fast" guys

The timing of the laps when you pay for a run... you don't get to do a "complete" circuit at speed as you go out from the staging car park and then return there, so do you time from the circuit cross over / chicane start to the under the bridge finish?

SteveC

Been using MSD 6 series EI boxes since the early 1980's. They work good to deliver high spark energy, does zero to control detonation. Proper detonation control required ionization sensing per cylinder, per combustion cycle with ignition timing control at that moment in the cylinder ignition cycle. If one did a Patent search on ion detonation sensing to get an idea of how modern engine management deals with ignition timing, detonation and related.

BTW, two first fixes on the 74'. Electric fuel pump, MSD ignition with Bosch EI distributor.
Third, Denso 90A alternator.

Bernice

Have you considered this? I am! looking at 11 to 1 with this running a msd 6al. I would like your opinion

Observation based on what they have published.
J&S detonation sensing..png

Read this tech history short on Saab's ion sensing based detonation aka knock control that has become extremely common in engine management today. This is one of the many reasons why Saab-Scania turbo engine can be tweaked up to absurd power levels and not explode. After the intellectual property rights (patents) ran out on this and other turbo engine management fundamentals, it became mostly industry standard.

One of the many reasons why the Lancia will be made to go again with the Lampredi TC. If more power is justified, that is when the entire Saab-Scania turbo power train (electronics and all) get's installed into the Lancia. Better to leverage GOOD design, Time proven design and engineering excellence than trying to DIAY which is FAR beyond the capability of the vast majority of moto folks.

Bernice

The timing of the laps when you pay for a run... you don't get to do a "complete" circuit at speed as you go out from the staging car park and then return there, so do you time from the circuit cross over / chicane start to the under the bridge finish?

Correct.
It is called BTG (bridge to gantry).
From the bridge near the end of the straight to the bridge near the end of the straight (Döttinger Höhe).
So it is not a complete lap and not comparable to official times done in races or when a manufacturer sets a new record.
I also ran a 9:30 with my old engine, no time yet with the new one.

Correct.
It is called BTG (bridge to gantry).
From the bridge near the end of the straight to the bridge near the end of the straight (Döttinger Höhe).
So it is not a complete lap and not comparable to official times done in races or when a manufacturer sets a new record.
I also ran a 9:30 with my old engine, no time yet with the new one.

Thats correct!
Complete laps are not that often possible

To me the J&S Electronics device looks very complex with H/W switches etc. Knock control is complex and should be set individually for each car. Copying settings from another another car (same brand and model) is not optimal and could even destroy your engine. -At least what they say at MaxxECU. I am not an expert but to me it seems like an aftermarket advanced ECU do the best job due to realtime logging capabilities and an overview of all settings. I wouldn't do this kind of tuning myself on an open road. I completely trust my tuner that did this for me on the dyno with headphones and realtime logging:

Hey my fellow X-Webbers, sorry for the long pause between posts/videos it has been a crazy crazy year!

More videos of the X1/9 and 037 build are in the pipeline, but for now if you haven't seen it already check out the latest RevTek video where Paul (builder of the 037 project) flies to Italy to visit the KSport Rally Preparation workshop. Some absolutely incredible cars being built and on display here

To follow us at RevTek check the links in my signature below

After another long hiatus we're back with some X1/9 content!
Have you ever thought about removing the engine rain tray to allow better cooling, but worried about getting stuck in the rain?
It may be worth giving this little modification a go

To follow us at RevTek check the links in my signature below

It's worse, I park mine outside so I don't even have to be driving it. So the tray stays in but the snorkel stays on (with a hole in the tray and lid for it).

His next step is to make it electrically activated by a temperature sensor.

Last edited:
Back